cop killing cops

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: cop killing cops

Postby Michael on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:26 am

Why can't you stay on topic?
Michael

Postby grzegorz on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:55 pm

One debate at a time.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Michael on Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:45 am

grzegorz wrote:One debate at a time.

You're contradicting yourself. You are unable to stay with "one debate at a time", instead bringing up several other topics when I asked you a simple, straight question.
Michael

Postby grzegorz on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:00 pm

I answered your question brother. What makes a good ESL teacher? You thought I was joking but I'm not. What makes for a good cop is the same stuff that makes for a good employee at any job. I know lots of cops and even have a lot in my family, they are no different than you and I. Like ESL some take it very seriously and work hard at serving the public and for some it's just a job they took because they like the benefits.

So no one is contradicting themselves, if you have anything you want to say to me directly then PM me.
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:25 pm

Um, how about agreeing that there are "good" cops, or at least cops who aren't "bad." If that's true, then we can also agree that there are "good" and "bad" citizens too. In fact, since no one is born a cop, well ... we could start there.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:40 am

grzegorz wrote:I answered your question brother. What makes a good ESL teacher?

You're avoiding the question and confusing the issue. If you don't want to answer, that's fine. I wasn't trying to be confrontational, but you, as usual, have just muddied the water instead of declining in a less quixotic manner.
Michael

Postby Michael on Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:54 am

Steve James wrote:Um, how about agreeing that there are "good" cops, or at least cops who aren't "bad." If that's true, then we can also agree that there are "good" and "bad" citizens too. In fact, since no one is born a cop, well ... we could start there.

Like I said, I gave my opinion about that in another thread. I was just curious what Greg thinks, but of course I agree with you both that cops are people, too.
Last edited by Michael on Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:14 am

Well, by accepting Orwell's categorization, you realize that there are very few "good" people for the cops to save, and that even the evilest of cops are fighting psychopaths or people who don't care about them.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:50 pm

SNIP
the shooter is an ex-LA police office and veteran. He seems very sane, and he feels that the LAPD is racist , abusive and that officers in the department deliberately ruined his career. So, he feels justified in assassinating them, and their families, and their associates. He has vowed to hunt down the cops he worked with.
SNIP

FFS. Let me get this straight:
This actually happened?
Or:
This is the draft script for Sensei Seagull's latest potboiler?
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:38 pm

Steve James wrote:Well, by accepting Orwell's categorization, you realize that there are very few "good" people for the cops to save, and that even the evilest of cops are fighting psychopaths or people who don't care about them.

Regardless of which categorization used, I think we're all three in agreement about the fact that cops are people, too. I wish to examine how normal people can use their power in such ways that most agree are wrong, and then escape the consequences. Greg says the media only focuses on the bad stories, but I really don't think that's true. Especially now with the ability to record police and upload in real time, finding those videos where police are well-behaved, particularly in the top 25 populated cities in the USA, is extremely difficult. There's probably a lower frequency of uploading those, but I think there's an even lower frequency of their actual occurrence.

Greg, were the cops who emptied their clips in L.A. last year at the two tiny Mexican-American women delivering newspapers, were they good cops? I think it's certain they were following illegal shoot-on-sight orders against Dorner. Wouldn't good cops disobey?
Michael

Postby Michael on Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:42 pm

Andy_S wrote:SNIP
the shooter is an ex-LA police office and veteran. He seems very sane, and he feels that the LAPD is racist , abusive and that officers in the department deliberately ruined his career. So, he feels justified in assassinating them, and their families, and their associates. He has vowed to hunt down the cops he worked with.
SNIP

FFS. Let me get this straight:
This actually happened?
Or:
This is the draft script for Sensei Seagull's latest potboiler?

Andy, it was real and the absolute best part was when the LAPD police chief TWICE went on record in live, televised press conferences and said that the single individual Dorner, had completely neutralized the 13,000 man police force of the City of Los Angeles.

Don't forget the awesome plot point, fully scripted, where they found Dorner's wallet and ID in three different places in Southern California in about a 24 hour period. Got that? The Arch-Villain Dorner, who killed two people without a shred of evidence and evaded a huge man hunt, was dumb enough to lose his wallet three times. Go, Hollywood!

If anything is possible in America, it's because Americans will believe anything.
Last edited by Michael on Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:58 am

So, you want youtube videos of cops not doing what exactly? beating people? Would running into a burning building and dying of smoke inhalation count for a good deed?

Anyway, if all cops as a category are defined as "bad," it's useless to try to convince anyone who accepts it that m/any cops are not bad. Being a cop becomes a pathology, a disease that they somehow contracted that must be cured. Blue becomes just like Black. No single act by the group changes the opinion of the group.

Hey, did you notice Graham's icon? It's the philosopher Diogenes who carried a lamp through the streets searching for an honest man. I think it'd work on a public street as much as in a police station.
Last edited by Steve James on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Dajenarit on Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:56 pm

Its more how cops are trained to police thats the overall problem.

Its insitutional. Good cops get desk jobs or wash out.
Dajenarit
Wuji

Postby Michael on Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:03 pm

Steve James wrote:So, you want youtube videos of cops not doing what exactly? beating people? Would running into a burning building and dying of smoke inhalation count for a good deed?

People do post videos of police doing their job well, such as this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSoGwQvMLK0

Anyway, if all cops as a category are defined as "bad," it's useless to try to convince anyone who accepts it that m/any cops are not bad. Being a cop becomes a pathology, a disease that they somehow contracted that must be cured. Blue becomes just like Black. No single act by the group changes the opinion of the group.

Sounds like a strawman to me. Who said all cops were bad? I gave one specific example, asking whether the group of cops in LA, afraid of Dorner, who emptied their clips into the trucks of three people, were they good cops?

Hey, did you notice Graham's icon? It's the philosopher Diogenes who carried a lamp through the streets searching for an honest man. I think it'd work on a public street as much as in a police station.

Police have the job, allegedly, of enforcing the laws. If true, why were there no criminal charges against the police who shot at those three people in LA?
Michael

Postby Steve James on Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:41 pm

Sounds like a strawman to me. Who said all cops were bad? I gave one specific example, asking whether the group of cops in LA, afraid of Dorner, who emptied their clips into the trucks of three people, were they good cops?

Yeah, my mistake. I agree some cops are bad.
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic