cop killing cops

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: cop killing cops

Postby Michael on Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:55 pm

The DPS did buy several gun boats in the past year or so and were real reluctant to discuss any details about it at the time. Not sure if they released more info since then, but they were heavily armed, which also happened in the Great Lakes.
Last edited by Michael on Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Postby Michael on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:37 pm

Two days ago, in Santa Cruz, California, about 70 miles south of San Francisco, two police detectives in plain clothes went to the house of a man accused of "inappropriate sexual advances" by a co-worker at the coffee shop where he worked. After she pressed charges, they fired him.

He had a previous conviction in Portland, Oregon for peeping, carrying a concealed handgun, and charges were dropped for him trying to kill the boyfriend of the girl he was peeping. Also, there were some previous arrests for fighting with his brother, as well as arrests when he was in the military.

The two detectives arrived at Broulet's door and he shot them both dead and stole one of their cars, tried to escape, but other police had blocked the streets. He ran on foot, got into a firefight with police on a busy street, and they shot him dead. First time in the town's history that a cop had been killed in the line of duty.

Here's the really odd part. The entire local police force of Santa Cruz has been told not to come back to work for a while because they are "too overcome" to do their job. Sort of reminds me how the LAPD police chief Beck said that the Dorner manhunt had crippled the entire LAPD and they were unable to function normally, couldn't respond to calls, etc.

The Santa Cruz Police Department is so overcome by the tragedy that every officer has been pulled off the streets and told to take some time off. Later in the week, some officers will begin returning to patrol. In the meantime, deputies from the Santa Cruz Sheriff's Department and officers from the California Highway Patrol are on duty responding to calls in the city.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/santa-cruz-police-shooting-cop-killer-disarmed-officers/story?id=18611535
Michael

Postby Steve James on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:17 pm

Here's the really odd part.

Don't really understand why it's considered odd. But, fwiw, there aren't that many people in Santa Cruz CA, let along police officers. So, sending them all home for the day can't be compared to any police situation in LA. Otoh, I would understand if every officer in Santa Cruz wanted to stay home --if only because they probably knew the slain detectives personally.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby greytowhite on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:57 pm

Steve James wrote:
Here's the really odd part.

Don't really understand why it's considered odd. But, fwiw, there aren't that many people in Santa Cruz CA, let along police officers. So, sending them all home for the day can't be compared to any police situation in LA. Otoh, I would understand if every officer in Santa Cruz wanted to stay home --if only because they probably knew the slain detectives personally.

Yeah Santa Cruz is pretty tiny and a rather mellow place. Big surprise for sure.
Practice Makes Progress
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:40 pm

I lived in a co-op in the Bronx with more people than Santa Cruz :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-op_City ... Population
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:41 am

Ah, Texas ...
A Garland, Texas, police officer who fired 41 shots at a chase suspect in August has been fired.
The Garland Police Department confirmed that it fired Officer Patrick Tuter after an internal investigation into the Aug. 12, 2012, shooting.

Michael Allen, 25, was shot and killed after a high-speed chase that began in Garland and ended in Mesquite. Allen was wanted on suspicion of eluding police in Sasche a few days earlier.

Garland police spokesman Officer Joe Harn said Tuter violated the department's general order of use of force and pursuit protocol.

The department at first said that Tuter opened fire in fear of his life, but dashboard camera video raised concerns after it showed that Tuter had rammed Allen's truck and fired 41 shots after he cornered Allen. Tuter reloaded twice, police said.

"He did not deserve the death sentence," said Allen's mother, Stephanie Allen. "Patrick Tuter was not judge and jury, and that's what he made himself out to be."

Allen's father, Randy Allen, said he is glad the department finally acted on the matter because he doesn't want any other families to feel what he, his wife and his son's 4-year-old daughter feel every day.

"Maybe the streets are safer now," he said.

The Allens have filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Tuter, seeking damages in their son's death.
The lawsuit says that Michael Allen did not have a weapon and did not pose a threat to officers. The lawsuit also says that Tuter's use of force was excessive.
"That's what tears me up -- that they weren't only just excessive, it was excessive on top of excessive," Randy Allen said.

The Allens said their son should not have run from police but also know that nothing can bring him back.

Tuter's attorney said his client does not agree with the department's decision to fire him and will appeal.

"The indefinite suspension was based upon alleged violations of the Garland Police Department's internal, administrative policies," the attorney said in a statement. "However, Officer Tuter's actions were justified under this state's penal code, and the indefinite suspension will be appealed under state civil service law."

Source: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/national ... z2MIIYSzTY

Not that it matters, but Mr. Allen was a White guy. But, the "41" shots is eerily familiar.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:19 am

Yeah, I've been to Santa Cruz many times.
Last edited by Michael on Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:33 am

LIke I said, I wouldn't find it strange. When I was in construction, if a worker died on the job, we took the day off. Period. Our union went back to the days when people waited for people to be killed so they could take their places.

Anyway, most police departments are arranged in shifts. If there are 90 officers, some work days and some work nights. Giving people a day off doesn't mean that no cops would be available or on duty. At least a third of the force would be home anyway. Besides, as you say, SC isn't that big. I'll bet more than 90% of the force lives there.

I don't see any reason to call the decision into question.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:32 pm

Still shooting people...

Aspiring producer mistakenly killed by deputies was chasing his dream
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-aspiring-producer-mistakenly-killed-by-deputies-was-chasing-his-dream-20140411,0,3580617.story#axzz2ych5MZpg

The police killed one hostage and shot the other one in the leg. Still need to work on their marksmanship, apparently.
Michael

Postby Dajenarit on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:52 pm

Best advice people can have nowadays is to stay the fuck away from police unless you directly need em. Which of course is when they wont be around...
Dajenarit
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:47 am

Training with and knowing lots of cops I'd say 99 percent of cops are good cops. The problem is the media only pays attention when they make a mistake.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Michael on Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:05 pm

Greg, don't know if you read it a while back in another thread, but I put forward a definition of good cop. What's yours?
Michael

Postby grzegorz on Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:23 am

What's your definition of a good ESL teacher?

Besides which, you can believe what you want chem trails, Obama was born in Uganda, whatever. I'm not debating the subject but I have a lot of experience with law enforcement types and like the military they are just like anyone else, except everyday, all day they deal with the worst of society and obviously that's going to change them.

You are entitled to your opinion Michael and I'm entitled to mine.
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Michael on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:00 am

Ask a simple question, get a long list of non-sequitirs and refusal to discuss the topic you brought up. Very lame.
Michael

Postby grzegorz on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:51 am

Michael wrote:Ask a simple question, get a long list of non-sequitirs and refusal to discuss the topic you brought up. Very lame.

I know I'd be debating someone who supports Russian paramilitaries taking over parts of a foreign country who is going to try to convince me that the police are bad.

Besides I answered your question.
grzegorz
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic