The Republicans Tap Out!

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

The Republicans Tap Out!

Postby CaliG on Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:04 pm

Republican John McCain decides not to debate Obama.

On the VP front Obiden has done close to 90 interviews...Palin 2.

It sounds like the beginning of the end for the GOP.

Good times! Time to break out some brewskis! ;D

Last edited by CaliG on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
CaliG

Re: The Republicans Tap Out!

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:22 pm

tapout? it's more like willful failure from my perspective. It seems to me that counting on the ignorant and the clearly mentally challenged to give you all your votes is a way out of becoming president and an orchestrated motion to put Obama in. McCain would be useless as tits on a Bull as president and Palin certainly is less suitable than cheese in the back of the crisper.

This is probably the weirdest election stuff since somebody put bush 2 in power twice. Ask almost anyone and they didn't vote for the guy, so, lets just assume that democracy is gone in the USA?

Up here in Canada, we have a weird ass prime minister who thinks the population of the country consists of good old farm boys or something. Man, I would like to see him lose or at the very least he's not so bad economically speaking, but we need to keep him on a short short leash and perhaps anothr minority might be where its at if the other parties can't get their act together or get someone with even a little charisma into the leadership position, but teh ndp has dittobama head layton and the liberals got a flustered babbler who can't communicate an entire sentence if you put a gun to his head. It's ridiculous.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:37 pm

I agree it's just an embarassment.

The only way I think the Republicans can take office is my vote rigging, which isn't too hard with electronic machines.
CaliG

Postby Muad'dib on Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:43 pm

Recent US politics is starting to read like Imperial Roman history.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby count on Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:39 pm

Zhong_Kui wrote:Recent US politics is starting to read like Imperial Roman history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU

Live it or live with it.
count
Great Old One

Postby dragontigerpalm on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:36 pm

Zhong_Kui wrote:Recent US politics is starting to read like Imperial Roman history.

QFT
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby CaliG on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:55 pm

I hear McCain's team would like to push the debate back to the date of the VPs' debate.

I wonder if they're going to try to avoid a debate between Palin and Biden, considering her performance here I can't really blame them.

Last edited by CaliG on Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaliG

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:45 am

uh-huh, McCain and Obama are senators. The most important senate vote in this year and possibly since Obama has been a senator is happening, McCain decides to do his Job while Obama says basically to call him if they need him. Says a lot about work ethic if you ask me.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/2008-pre ... ccain.html

Bill Clinton: Don't 'Overly Parse' McCain Request to Delay Debate
Email
Share September 25, 2008 8:26 AM

ABC News' Nitya Venkataraman Reports: Former President Bill Clinton defended Sen. John McCain's request to delay the first presidential debate, saying McCain did it in "good faith" and pushed organizers to reserve time for economy talk during the debate if the Friday plans move forward.

Appearing on Good Morning America Thursday, Clinton told ABC News' Chris Cuomo that McCain's push to postpone the debate would only be a good political move if both candidates agreed. McCain announced on Wednesday that he would "suspend" his presidential campaign to come to Washington to help negotiate a financial bailout bill

"We know he didn't do it because he's afraid because Sen. McCain wanted more debates," Clinton said, adding that he was "encouraged" by the joint statement from McCain and Sen. Barack Obama.

"You can put it off a few days the problem is it's hard to reschedule those things," Clinton said, "I presume he did that in good faith since I know he wanted -- I remember he asked for more debates to go all around the country and so I don't think we ought to overly parse that."

If the debate moves forward as planned for Friday night, Clinton says "they should be able to talk about this some of the debate because it is a security issue."

The former president thought Bush's address Wednesday night on the economic crisis had a "positive reaction".

"I thought it was the clearest statement of why we're in the fix we're in, at least what the nature of it is and why some national action is needed," Clinton said.

He said that both Democrats and Republicans "should move as quickly as they can" on the president's economic rescue plan but that both parties "want to know exactly how this $700 billion is going to be invested..to stabilize the system."

President Bush's bipartisan meeting on the economic crisis will take place at 4pm at the White House, both Obama and McCain will be in attendance.

September 25, 2008 in Clinton, Bill, McCain, John, Obama, Barack, Vote 2008: Democrats, Vote 2008: Republicans, Washington, White House | Permalink | User Comments (1341)

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/t/trackback/433071/33827114

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Bill Clinton: Don't 'Overly Parse' McCain Request to Delay Debate:
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby count on Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:53 am

DeusTrismegistus wrote:uh-huh, McCain and Obama are senators. The most important senate vote in this year and possibly since Obama has been a senator is happening, McCain decides to do his Job while Obama says basically to call him if they need him. Says a lot about work ethic if you ask me.

If you ask me, neither of them need to be there. Besides the fact that their votes just cancel each other out, one of them will not be a senator much longer. And the other one is part of the problem, not the solution. ;)
Live it or live with it.
count
Great Old One

Postby steelincotton on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:06 am

Now the real truth. McCain did NOTHING but pull another hail-mary political stunt. Frankly, he's already stated many times that he knows nothing about the economy and economics, so he's trying everything he can do in his power to slow down Obama fever!! Even some of his own republican party, said he did nothing, added little to the discussions, and actually hurt the negotiating by bringing in presidential politics into the bail-out hearings. Something Obama actually said would happen, happened again. Obama is spot-on once again. McCain's campaign is floundering and he's now behind in every single state that really matters to win this election. What we are all witnessing is just floundering McLame politics.. more distraction, more bait and switch, and less STRAIGHT TALK as usual.

Meanwhile, McLame has NOT suspended his campaign like he said he would (another out right LIE), but has been running TV Ads, and other campaign activities this entire week!! :o

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/2 ... 29438.html

From the website:
Inside an intense White House meeting over the financial crisis on Thursday, where nearly every key player came to an agreement on the outlines of the bailout package, Sen. John McCain stuck out. The Republican candidate, according to sources with direct knowledge, sat quiet through most of the meeting, never offered specifics, and spoke only at the end to raise doubts about the rough compromise that the White House and congressional leaders were nearing.

McCain's reluctance to jump on board the bailout agreement could throw the entire week-long negotiation into a tailspin. Sen. Chris Dodd, after leaving the White House, suggested on CNN that the tenuous process could be derailed by what he viewed as McCain's political motives.

"What happened here, basically, if you want an honest appraisal of the thing, we have been spending a lot of time and I am tired. I have spent almost seven straight days at this in trying to come out with a workout plan for our economy a rescue plan," said Dodd. "What this looked like to me was a rescue plan for John McCain for two hours and took us away from the work we are trying to do today. Serious people trying to do serious work to come up with an answer."

According to the source with knowledge of the White House gathering -- which featured both presidential candidates, congressional leaders and the President -- virtually ever key figure in the room, save McCain and GOP Sen. Richard Shelby, were in agreement over a revised version of Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson's plan.

Towards the end, McCain finally spoke up, mentioning a counter-proposal that had been offered by some conservative House Republicans, which would suspend the capital gains tax for two years and provide tax incentives to encourage firms that buy up bad debt. McCain did not discuss specifics of the plan, though, and was non-committal about supporting it.

Paulson, however, argued directly against the conservative proposal. "He said that he did not think it would work," according to the source. At another point in the meeting, President Bush chimed in, "If money isn't loosened, this sucker could go down" -- and by sucker he meant economy.

ABC News reported that, following the meeting, Paulson "walked into the room where Democrats were caucusing...at the White House and pleaded with them 'please don't blow this up.'" But this story isn't incomplete, according to sources.

Democrats stayed talking in the Roosevelt room and Paulson approached them. After his comment, Speaker Pelosi and Rep. Barney Frank shot back that the real problem was with House Republicans. Paulson replied, "I know, I know," as he got down on one knee to lighten the mood. Pelosi joked back, "I didn't know you were a Catholic."

After the White House meeting, Shelby, the top Republican on the Senate Banking Committee, restated his long-standing opposition to the bailout, and suggested that a deal was not, as reported earlier in the day, imminent. But Shelby's no. 2 on the committee, Sen. Bob Bennett, supports the compromise principles, as do other top GOP House and Senate leaders.

Dodd himself was incensed that the hard work he and others had put in could be undermined at the last minute.

"We were told it came out of the Republican House. We were told at this one point that this was maybe John McCain was floating the idea that Hank Paulson was considering it," Dodd said of the proposal, which he did not elaborate upon. "And of course Barney Frank and I, along with Republicans from the House and the Senate, had spent three hours this morning working on a different core. We were told for the last seven days it was the core issue to give the Secretary authority to move with the crisis, but simultaneously protect the taxpayers and accountability and deal with foreclosure issues all of the things the president mentioned last evening were going to be important as well."

Obama himself did not directly take McCain to task at his post-meeting press avail, but suggested that his methods were not helping the process.

"What I found and I think was confirmed today when you inject presidential politics into delicate negotiations it is not necesary as helpsful as it could be," he said, according to Politico's Carrie Budoff Brown. "When you are not worried about who is getting credit and who is getting blamed you tend to move forward more constructively."

UPDATE: CBS News reports that McCain's alternative proposal includes "fewer regulations and corporate tax breaks":
Last edited by steelincotton on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
steelincotton
Huajing

Postby CaliG on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:13 am

DeusTrismegistus wrote:uh-huh, McCain and Obama are senators. The most important senate vote in this year and possibly since Obama has been a senator is happening, McCain decides to do his Job while Obama says basically to call him if they need him. Says a lot about work ethic if you ask me.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/2008-pre ... ccain.html

Surely you're joking.

If you had a cage match and you really wanted to fight then you would fight.

No excuses, unless you thought you were going to lose.
CaliG

Postby steelincotton on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:18 am

CaliG is right.

Just so this doesn't go unnoticed..... .. McCain's answer to the problem is fewer regulations and MORE tax breaks for Wall Street and their cronies!! McCain is cracking up, and the straight talk express has lost it's wheels!!

UPDATE: CBS News reports that McCain's alternative proposal includes "fewer regulations and corporate tax breaks":
steelincotton
Huajing

Postby Fubo on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:53 am

CaliG wrote:I hear McCain's team would like to push the debate back to the date of the VPs' debate.

I wonder if they're going to try to avoid a debate between Palin and Biden, considering her performance here I can't really blame them.

At the end when asked about specific examples of MaCain's push for more regulations in his 26 years in the Sen., Palin answers "I'll try and find you some and bring-um to yay"!

This sounds like something some of my less motivated students would say when they have no homework to show. She would be more suited to starring in B-grade romantic comedies and sitcoms then being VP.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:57 am

Well, it's one thing to go to the Senate to vote. It's another to try to make economic policy. I think they'd let Obama and McCain vote in absentia, if it's taking place tonight at 9 or they could just take a flight from MS to DC. It's not like they have to be out of the country. But. seriously, suppose there were a terrorist attack? suppose Russia invaded Georgia again? suppose Iran stated that they had bought nuclear grade plutonium from S. Korea? Which one would we put on the back burner if they happened simultaneously. Shucks, it's just a debate. They're just going to talk for 2 hours. Imo, someone who wants the office should be prepared to have a war, an economic crisis, trouble with the spouse "And" be able to have a debate.

Besides, again jmo, either one of them could send representatives to state their specific positions if they have them. Then, as Senators, they'd vote. As it is, even with McCain there, there was no agreement. Some speculate that it was because McCain was there that it turned into a circus.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:11 am

steelincotton wrote:CaliG is right.

Just so this doesn't go unnoticed..... .. McCain's answer to the problem is fewer regulations and MORE tax breaks for Wall Street and their cronies!! McCain is cracking up, and the straight talk express has lost it's wheels!!

Also last night McCain wasn't even in Washington he was in NEW YORK.

He didn't show up on Lettermen but he show up on CBS news.

Btw, politicians did come up with an agreement and McCain wasn't there. Then when McCain flew into Washington things fell apart. Hmmm...
CaliG

Next

Return to Off the Topic