monster crabs

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: monster crabs

Postby .Q. on Sun May 18, 2008 11:34 pm

What the hell are those things? Is this real?
.Q.
Wuji

Postby nianfong on Mon May 19, 2008 1:49 am

do they have these crabs in the dominican, felipe? if so, whenever I go visit you, we gotta catch some and eat them :)
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Ian on Mon May 19, 2008 4:21 am

I know they have them in Trinidad. Read that in Miguel Street :D

I was hoping the DR guys would also have some kickass stories about kickass monster crabs.
Ian

Postby DuYiZhang on Mon May 19, 2008 5:11 am

Nah, Ian, we don't have any monster crabs to brag about, we got many normal ones though. I may post some pictures of them later. I have some I think.

Another thing, the big bad coconut crab is basically a giant hermet crab, perhaps they will actually seek refuge in a shell if given the chance to find one their size, or a coconut perhaps? Compare them(hermets) out of the shell to the monster. You mess with them, they'll call up their cuz that lives across seas to beat the shit out of you.
DuYiZhang
Santi

Postby Josealb on Mon May 19, 2008 7:33 am

You guys saw this and immediately thought of butter, garlic and parsley. What the hell? the first picture shows it scavenging a trash can. :P

Reading a bit about them on Wiki, it said that depending on their diet, some crabs can turn out to be poisonous. So basically you get to ride a little variant of the fugu train...the only difference is that i dont think youre gonna get to see the cook eating it first. Unless the cook is you. ;D

It also said they can last up to 60 years. A 60 year old crab of those would be the stuff of nightmares. -bolt-
Last edited by Josealb on Tue May 20, 2008 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Bär on Mon May 19, 2008 10:32 am

The ones who eat coconuts (assuming non-radioactive, etc...) are supposed to be very tasty because of all the coconut oil. You don't even have to dip the meat in butter.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Mon May 19, 2008 4:58 pm

Josealb wrote:You guys saw this and immediately thought of butter, garlic and parsley. What the hell? the first picture shows it scavenging a trash can. :P

Reading a bit about them on Wiki, it said that depending on their diet, some crabs can turn out to be poisonous. So basically you get to ride a little variant of the fubu train...the only difference is that i dont think youre gonna get to see the cook eating it first. Unless the cook is you. ;D

It also said they can last up to 60 years. A 60 year old crab of those would be the stuff of nightmares. -bolt-

uh... you mean fugu? not sure what street wear has to do with poisonous sea critters :D

you're right - 60 year old crabs... don't need that evil in my life. insalubrious hell pincers.
Ian

Postby DuYiZhang on Mon May 19, 2008 5:05 pm

In DR when we catch them or buy them alive, we give them one or two weeks of eating coconuts, corn and other things just to "cleanse" them a little bit and the water is changed up to twice daily. No crab that meddles in the woods is eaten without going through this process first.

Then, we cook them in a boiling pot(drop'em while they're still alive and the water must be bubbling hot first, boiling point) with oregano, salt and garlic.

Then another process ensues, it's another even more safer alternate to cooking it is cooking it with tomatoes(paste may be used), more oregano, salt, parsley, some other seanonings, onions, more garlic, peppers(green big ones), some people add apple cider vinegar to the mix(one cap) and that is eaten with eather bread or mashed green plantains.
DuYiZhang
Santi

Postby Ian on Mon May 19, 2008 6:32 pm

Thundering Zeus, that sounds good.

You say when you catch them... how, exactly?

Say a coconut crablord is up a tree. Do you climb up there and hit is with a stick? Or throw coconuts at it and wrestle it to the ground?
Ian

Postby fuga on Mon May 19, 2008 7:08 pm

I saw some of those crabs on an island in Indonesia - Sulawesi, I think. We went out looking for it at night when they were more common.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Mon May 19, 2008 7:12 pm

Ian wrote:

Say a coconut crablord is up a tree. Do you climb up there and hit is with a stick? Or throw coconuts at it and wrestle it to the ground?

i just got the best visual when i read this.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby DuYiZhang on Tue May 20, 2008 4:20 am

Ian, that's way too undiplomatic. We talk it down and walk it by the clamp to the pot.

Nah, on the real, in DR people grab crabs with their hands, or just use two pots.

Once, they used to be so many, they would walk by the thousands on to the roads, not as bad as Christmas Island, but yeah, bad enough, like MJ's Thrilla.
DuYiZhang
Santi

Postby Josealb on Tue May 20, 2008 5:14 am

Thanks Ian, yes, i meant fugu. :)

A crab like these up a tree, how to catch it? Shoot it. Shoot it again when it drops, just in case. Go Gunslinger on the crabstrocity.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic