Why people vote republican (thought provoking)

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Why people vote republican (thought provoking)

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:17 pm

steelincotton wrote:
internalenthusiast wrote:The McCain-Palin Mob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjxzmaXAg9E

Wow, these people are stupid and proud of it too!!

Such hate, racism, and ignorance; you'd think we'd be further along than that by now. For example, the other day at a neo-nazi-like Palin rally where sweet hockey-mom Sarah excited the crowd so much by calling Obama a terrorist that some in the audience were chanting "KILL HIM, KILL HIM!!" Also, the cameraman, who was black, was verbally assaulted with racial attacks! Palin and McCain could hear the crowd's horrible chants and insults, but of course they condone it, so don't expect those knuckleheads to say anything about it. McCain sickens me to the core, and yes, he's still a total a douchebag, and so is his dumb sidekick who can't name a single magazine that she reads.

That was the most biases piece of dog shit excuse for journalism I have ever seen.

He was trolling IRL w/camera.

He's 133t.

Hey, I can't name a single magazine I read. Cause I don't read magazines. Does that make me dumb?
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:36 pm

I am not sure where they draw the line between moral philosophy and moral psychology though.

Right, and it's hard to judge peoples' intentions, let alone apply them universally to a group. It becomes stereotyping, as opposed to analysis.

There is that old saying "You can't legislate morality." I mean it is all interesting and it may have some value but it really only addresses the deeper issue that most people make political decisions based on their morality, religion, upbringing, and emotional interest. When IMO any voter should do their best to avoid making a decision about an issue based on those factors. Politics should be about running our country, not right and wrong.

Screeech. Hold it, watch out. There is no such thing as "should". People "do" make political decisions based on all sorts of things (some would say "greed and fear"; other's would say "goodness and light)." That includes Dems, Reps, Inds and undecided. Morality can't be legislated means that a law can never make someone moral. However, laws are generally based on cultural values, not abstract morality. In Pakistan, there was a bill before Parliament that would make "pride killings" illegal. It was shot down, and many (men) were proud of voting against it. How do we separate legislation from morality then? Should we? Why can't gays get married without any hassle? Why is it that one state has one rule for abortions and its neighborhing state have another? Which is moral?

Also, it is possible, but difficult in practice to separate "ethics" from "morality." I.e., a defense attorney has to vigorously defend a murderer, even if the guy admits it. A priest has to keep confessions confidential, even if he knows that the other priest is banging your wife. One can argue that letting a murderer go free, or not telling someone that he's being abused is immoral. However, it's quite ethical. So, the law might noave nothing to do with morality, but everything to do with the rules of the profession.

Another ex., it might be considered immoral for a business to make you sign a contract that you don't understand ... with super fine print in a note on page 325 that says, in Latin, that you have to give up your first born. However, it might be perfectly ethical (permitted by law). They'll say, you should have read the fine print. Hey, that's what's happened with all these mortgages, and credit card defaults. It's perfectly legal for a company to to raise your interest to 29% if you are late on your 10$ payment just once.

Anyway, I agree that morality has nothing to do with political orientation --or ethnicity, race, place of origin, religion, etc. Now, of course, if you ask some people, they will tell you that their race, religion, creed, etc., is more moral than the others. And, if you argue, they'll say you believe that all cultures are equal. Which is wrong, they'll say. What they won't allow is that it might be theirs that is inferior or immoral.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:57 am

Steve James wrote:
I am not sure where they draw the line between moral philosophy and moral psychology though.

Right, and it's hard to judge peoples' intentions, let alone apply them universally to a group. It becomes stereotyping, as opposed to analysis.

There is that old saying "You can't legislate morality." I mean it is all interesting and it may have some value but it really only addresses the deeper issue that most people make political decisions based on their morality, religion, upbringing, and emotional interest. When IMO any voter should do their best to avoid making a decision about an issue based on those factors. Politics should be about running our country, not right and wrong.

Screeech. Hold it, watch out. There is no such thing as "should". People "do" make political decisions based on all sorts of things (some would say "greed and fear"; other's would say "goodness and light)." That includes Dems, Reps, Inds and undecided. Morality can't be legislated means that a law can never make someone moral. However, laws are generally based on cultural values, not abstract morality. In Pakistan, there was a bill before Parliament that would make "pride killings" illegal. It was shot down, and many (men) were proud of voting against it. How do we separate legislation from morality then? Should we? Why can't gays get married without any hassle? Why is it that one state has one rule for abortions and its neighborhing state have another? Which is moral?

Also, it is possible, but difficult in practice to separate "ethics" from "morality." I.e., a defense attorney has to vigorously defend a murderer, even if the guy admits it. A priest has to keep confessions confidential, even if he knows that the other priest is banging your wife. One can argue that letting a murderer go free, or not telling someone that he's being abused is immoral. However, it's quite ethical. So, the law might noave nothing to do with morality, but everything to do with the rules of the profession.

Another ex., it might be considered immoral for a business to make you sign a contract that you don't understand ... with super fine print in a note on page 325 that says, in Latin, that you have to give up your first born. However, it might be perfectly ethical (permitted by law). They'll say, you should have read the fine print. Hey, that's what's happened with all these mortgages, and credit card defaults. It's perfectly legal for a company to to raise your interest to 29% if you are late on your 10$ payment just once.

Anyway, I agree that morality has nothing to do with political orientation --or ethnicity, race, place of origin, religion, etc. Now, of course, if you ask some people, they will tell you that their race, religion, creed, etc., is more moral than the others. And, if you argue, they'll say you believe that all cultures are equal. Which is wrong, they'll say. What they won't allow is that it might be theirs that is inferior or immoral.

Very good post.

When I say should I am expressing my own personal view. I was also mainly referring to the US. Laws are commonly based on cultural values, but that does not address if that is good idea.

When I say you cannot legislate morality I not only refer to the inability to make someone behave morally, but also that it is impossible for a govt to make laws that change what is considered moral. Many laws that people may think are based on morality can be much more easily explained by framing it in terms of social benefit and social or economic reasons.

In counties that are more homogenous regarding morality, religion, ethnicity, tradition, etc having a legal system that does make laws based on morality is much more feasible. As well as the possibility of having other successful govt types than democracy. In a country like the US where nearly every religious, moral, and value based thought pattern is represented in varying quantities without any form of majority it is not feasible nor desirable to make laws based on morality. However laws based on social benefit and economic benefit can be formulated and even have research done to back the opinion.

My personal view on several issues varies when it comes to what I believe is the morally correct view and what I believe is the politically correct decision. But I understand that I am a unique and sensitive flower and I am very special and the world will love me (or so kids are told today anyways).
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Previous

Return to Off the Topic