First Lady Tai-chi

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

First Lady Tai-chi

Postby Bill on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:30 am

Good for her!!
Now all she needs is some flat shoes.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Re: First Lady Tai-chi

Postby Bill on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:57 am

Bonus picture = Pope Francis' Pi chuan

It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:44 pm

Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:33 am

Bill wrote:Good for her!!

That would be a good idea!
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:21 pm

gzregorz wrote:
Bill wrote:Good for her!!

That would be a good idea!

That's exactly what I was thinking, guys!

That, and she looks like a giant in there. ;D
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Dajenarit on Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:04 pm

The first lady is looking kinda nice there. :D
Dajenarit
Wuji

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:14 pm

Always amazes me how stupid otherwise smart and knowledgeable people can act with physical training. Her high heels make me cringe. This is not good for the image of either Taiji or Chinese culture. This is just one huge and glowing example for clueless Westerners that they can force their cultural preference upon any sort of situation. That is exactly the reason martial arts teachers get treated as 'couches' and 'service providers', are given 'orders' and issued 'special individually-tailored requests'. When president Bush came to China, he wore a traditional Tang Zhuang suit. This behemoth of a woman is like an elephant in a china store (a description which is not quite far from reality, actually). Another sad nail in the grave of traditional Chinese culture, along with the KFCs and McDonalds popping up everywhere. This was not about 'distinguished Western woman learning the ways of the Chinese'. This was about: 'successful American is treated like Queen and does whatever the fuck she likes well adoring big-eyed fans gather around to worship'. I'd be insulted were I a Chinese person. Imagine this behemoth coming to learn shooting at the IDF, waving the gun around however the fuck she likes, with all the soldiers coming over to touch her glory... Would that have seemed reasonable? Fuck that. I'm saying this whole thing is about what Joseph Nye calls 'Soft Power', and is part of the American agenda of cultural and economic conquest (though the Chinese might end up getting them through the back door).
Last edited by jonathan.bluestein on Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:48 pm

All I see is another US personality in a popular photo-op! You guys are quite creative with your own vision(s) so I salute you 10K percent ;D
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:53 pm

jonathan.bluestein wrote:Always amazes me how stupid otherwise smart and knowledgeable people can act with physical training. Her high heels make me cringe. This is not good for the image of either Taiji or Chinese culture. This is just one huge and glowing example for clueless Westerners that they can force their cultural preference upon any sort of situation. That is exactly the reason martial arts teachers get treated as 'couches' and 'service providers', are given 'orders' and issued 'special individually-tailored requests'. When president Bush came to China, he wore a traditional Tang Zhuang suit. This behemoth of a woman is like an elephant in a china store (a description which is not quite far from reality, actually). Another sad nail in the grave of traditional Chinese culture, along with the KFCs and McDonalds popping up everywhere. This was not about 'distinguished Western woman learning the ways of the Chinese'. This was about: 'successful American is treated like Queen and does whatever the fuck she likes well adoring big-eyed fans gather around to worship'. I'd be insulted were I a Chinese person. Imagine this behemoth coming to learn shooting at the IDF, waving the gun around however the fuck she likes, with all the soldiers coming over to touch her glory... Would that have seemed reasonable? Fuck that. I'm saying this whole thing is about what Joseph Nye calls 'Soft Power', and is part of the American agenda of cultural and economic conquest (though the Chinese might end up getting them through the back door).

Wow, what a load of bs. Focus more on yourself, and less on acting like an expert.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:18 pm

jonathan.bluestein wrote:Always amazes me how stupid otherwise smart and knowledgeable people can act with physical training. Her high heels make me cringe. This is not good for the image of either Taiji or Chinese culture. This is just one huge and glowing example for clueless Westerners that they can force their cultural preference upon any sort of situation. That is exactly the reason martial arts teachers get treated as 'couches' and 'service providers', are given 'orders' and issued 'special individually-tailored requests'. When president Bush came to China, he wore a traditional Tang Zhuang suit. This behemoth of a woman is like an elephant in a china store (a description which is not quite far from reality, actually). Another sad nail in the grave of traditional Chinese culture, along with the KFCs and McDonalds popping up everywhere. This was not about 'distinguished Western woman learning the ways of the Chinese'. This was about: 'successful American is treated like Queen and does whatever the fuck she likes well adoring big-eyed fans gather around to worship'. I'd be insulted were I a Chinese person. Imagine this behemoth coming to learn shooting at the IDF, waving the gun around however the fuck she likes, with all the soldiers coming over to touch her glory... Would that have seemed reasonable? Fuck that. I'm saying this whole thing is about what Joseph Nye calls 'Soft Power', and is part of the American agenda of cultural and economic conquest (though the Chinese might end up getting them through the back door).

Behemoth? Totally classless statement and racially charged as well, although you will deny it. And physical training? Her brother played basketball at Princeton and is the head coach at Oregon State. She is the first lady taking a photo op. The Chinese girls in the video seemed to appreciate her being there even if you did not.

And, yes Dajenarit, she is looking mighty fine, as usual.
Last edited by Taste of Death on Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:07 am

hehe,
looki`n on her face expression, she is better than Bruce / shoes power? :D /

I`m not in applause choir of the J. post,
however, he gets some points.
so
maybe it is not totally big BS, just smaller one, or just a rant :-*

..." classless statement and racially charged as well,.." O:)

it really doesn`t matter, but, just for the record:
Mr., Taste are you Afro -Aamerican or close related to?

+ btw. She could just take them out /shoes/, to fit the pattern nicely and with the class.
She simply doesn`t has the clue. I don`t blame her she doesn`t need to know anything about training or specific etiquette,
but
Her office should!
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Trip on Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:19 am

She wasn’t there to be instructed in Taiji. She went there to give a speech.
Therefore, her footwear was appropriate.

The students presented her with short demonstrations of various things they were learning at the school. One of the student demonstrations was of Taiji. She unexpectedly tried a couple of moves. Big deal.

I’ve had that happen when I use to practice in the public.
Some people would find it interesting and try a couple of moves. I didn’t stop them and say “oh, no, how dare you?
I’m insulted!
You must change your footwear before you just walk up here and try a couple of Taiji moves”.

I think it’s brave of anyone to allow photographs of them trying physical movements that are new to them. And, for a first-timer she didn’t wobble. That's a lot better than most who try Taiji for the first time.
Trip
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:37 am

Yup, Trip she can do whatever she wants to.
no big deal :)
I can do the demo in ski boots too .
Me just old tatami fart attitude -oldman-
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Orpheus on Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:04 pm

How long were you in China? Six months? In Tianjin? You can neither speak nor read Chinese? You were in China for a limited period of time, in a limited geographical region, limited by your ability to speak the local language. Your spirit journey was not what you were owed? You have zero basis to speak about modern or traditional culture in China. It is a gigantic country that changes for nobody but the Chinese. A lot of the things you are interested in are buried beneath the surface.

I read the news in China and keep up with my WeChat and Weibo. I didn't see anyone who was offended. Some thought it was interesting, but my guess is that nobody cared. China has a lot of smart, thoughtful people. There are also a lot of nationalists. If this mattered, they would be all over it.

Excellent use of soft power.

Calling any woman, First lady or not, a 'behemoth' is unbecoming. It didn't add to anything you were saying, and it makes you look petty. Also, it exposes you to accusations of using racist code language.
Orpheus
Anjing

Postby Taste of Death on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:58 pm

"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic