when women attack

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

when women attack

Postby CaliG on Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:36 pm

CaliG

Re: when women attack

Postby Michael on Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:04 pm

If you watch TV, it's almost like being obnoxious has become a virtue. I'm sure anyone whose worked retail or service in the past 10 years has dealt with someone almost as bad as that guy. The characters on "Friends" pretty much came across to me as weird-cute-obnoxious and also deserving of some smacking around. Thank goodness nine years of "Could you BE any more obnoxious" is over...oh no, all my students use pirate "Friends" DVD's to practice English. Sigh. LOL
Michael

Postby CaliG on Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:37 pm

I didn't mind my Chinese students trying to copy friends. What annoyed me was the ones who were convinced that if they had a British accent it would be a key to success. Please...
CaliG

Postby Michael on Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:49 pm

I'm hearing more and more that Chinese people want North American accents only and they find it much easier to understand American or Canadian teachers compared to British, which doesn't surprise me 'cause when I meet limeys in Hong Kong I can't understand them due to slang. You see more and more English teaching job ads asking for North American speakers only, except those from Guelph. :)
Michael

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:33 am

people should just be themselves and we could avoid all of this...but then, we wouldn't have much in the way of humour...like the above. lol
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:42 pm

I agree, learning a language is hard enough.

But I can say I have heard a lot of foreigners with pretty convincing American accents, can't say the same for people trying to sound British.

I used to tell my students who wanted to sound British that it was their choice, but that it's very hard and they'd be better off just focussing on English rather than focussing on their accent, otherwise they're going to want to study phonetics or live in the UK.
Last edited by CaliG on Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CaliG

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:23 am

Michael wrote:I'm hearing more and more that Chinese people want North American accents only and they find it much easier to understand American or Canadian teachers compared to British, which doesn't surprise me 'cause when I meet limeys in Hong Kong I can't understand them due to slang. You see more and more English teaching job ads asking for North American speakers only, except those from Guelph. :)

;D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic