Who is watching Cosmos?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Who is watching Cosmos?

Postby grzegorz on Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:20 pm

Steve James wrote:I think that the part in Shatner's video about the costume that looks like a spacesuit is wonderful. Just like Star Trek, life in the universe(s) is somehow like human life --in our own image, so to speak.

I also like how they can't figure out how ancient people built certain things that they could not even build today.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:44 am

wiesiek wrote:You know, 1st time always taste the best ;) ,
sequels are very rare better than originals, anyway.

It's actually pretty darn good. The only criticism I've heard is political or should I say religious.

Here is a funny rant by the Great Atheist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojkAmuRBnc0

Then again it helps to be open minded. I usually enjoy recreations, I've always loved jazz and the art is all about recreating and improvising on songs you're already heard before.

Also the first one was made by Carl Sagan and his wife, although Mr. Sagan passed away the wife helped create this one too with the same purpose of getting the general public interested in science. They have achieved their goal, I know of six year olds watching this and it wasn't likely they'd watch the original.
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby middleway on Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:45 am

ref ancient aliens:

Good debunk of most of their points :D
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:53 am

nothing against popular science ,
kinda gungfu for the masses ;)
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Dajenarit on Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:34 pm

It's sad what passes for empirical history and science on the History/Science channels. TLC used to have hard science/anthropological documentaries when I was a kid. Now they don't even try anymore, we get honey boo-boo. Then they get on the public as ignorant rubes for believing the crazy shit that they air.

I remember science shows for even kids back in the day didn't dumb down the info and talk down to people as much as the so called science shows today.
Dajenarit
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:49 am

science and technology are changing our word so fast
that you have to became Bagua master to get even :)
- as the child I sow futuristic program about advantage of the CD.
- during my 1st time stay in the US - there was just one small CD shelf in the biggest Manhattan record shop.
-2nd time - all black vinyl's has gone ??? , -in just two years!, regardless of my ears opinions that Cd`s sounds like shit, :) ,/ maybe there is all info, for best possible sound , but always.../
- right now, nobody gives the dime for CD technology :-*
as
the grandpa I going to energize myself here and wzzzzzut -bolt- appear on Sunset Bulevard
-oldman-
welcome kpt. Kirk!
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:08 am

Sagan is, to me, the best science presenter ever. But, there has been too much scientific and technological development since 1980; at the time, there was no shuttle, no Hubble or images, no theories of dark energy, etc. NdT does an ok job or presenting the theories. If the point is explaining why nothing with mass can exceed the speed of light, he does fine. More detail can come from studying a book or doing actual research. The show is for getting people, especially children, interested. So, if there are too many cartoons to suit us geezers, that's to be expected. We have libraries.

I have to admit that I learned something interesting from the last episode (which focused on the work of William Herschel). It referred to an early theorist of black holes. http://www.amnh.org/education/resources ... chell.html
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:31 am

btw,
not that animations at all are BS, weak animation butchered a little, cosmos is not bad :)
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:53 pm

Steve James wrote:Sagan is, to me, the best science presenter ever. But, there has been too much scientific and technological development since 1980; at the time, there was no shuttle, no Hubble or images, no theories of dark energy, etc. NdT does an ok job or presenting the theories. If the point is explaining why nothing with mass can exceed the speed of light, he does fine. More detail can come from studying a book or doing actual research. The show is for getting people, especially children, interested. So, if there are too many cartoons to suit us geezers, that's to be expected. We have libraries.

I have to admit that I learned something interesting from the last episode (which focused on the work of William Herschel). It referred to an early theorist of black holes. http://www.amnh.org/education/resources ... chell.html

I agree, the DNA double helix is covered too and that's also newer knowledge.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:51 pm

The most recent episode is excellent. It describes some of the contributions made by women to astrophysics.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic