The Christian Right needs to stay out of science.

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: The Christian Right needs to stay out of science.

Postby wiesiek on Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:34 am

..."we could also redo the dates in Genesis, and translate a "day" as 2 billion years..."

this kind of the "translations" of the events, is broadly in use from C.C. executive side > then my love to them improves everyday :D

..."Ever notice how, since the old sci-fi flicks, even Star Trek, the explorers are carrying guns :)..."
classic "Bonanza" style? :) -rockets-

..."Now, what would give us the right to kill something on its own planet ... is a matter of cultural conditioning..."

been human sounds proud -sumo- , -shrug- -bolt-
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:07 am

have to add for more species in the "Polish part of the topic ;)"/follow today radio news and diss./:

-Flying Spaghetti Monster Church - has the right to be officially register in Poland./ court sentence/
- C.C. fells offended, even humiliated, / funny in the Germany -they don`t/
- minister will be appealing / suppose, couple year story, all way up, `till The Highest Court / :o

well,
real :D one truth believers, always go this way :-\
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:17 am

Some might then argue that we need more than religion in order to find morality --on planets with other forms of life. Hey, the reason we're scared of aliens is because we know ourselves so well.

IME religion is a big part of what's keeping us from having honest, forthright discussions on morality in everything that we do. The Christian right in this country hardly follow the tenets of their own religion (unless it suits them and their prejudices) and actively work against anything that serves anything but Mammon. Morality is absent in any pursuit that puts bottom line profit margin as it's highest governing principle, and Republican Jesus stands firmly in the way of science and innovation so he's got to get his coin by deregulating to the point where they sell off the rights of us, our children and even our ecosystem to serve the getting of the riches demanded by their prosperity gospel.

If you want to believe that God made this all for you and the other people who look like you then that's fine...sad and ignorant..but fine. However you should not have fucking thing 1 to say about anything that goes on in the House Science, Space and Technology Committee or the EPA or anything that has to do with science at all. If you throw your lot in with make believe that's fine but by doing so you've said you don't believe in the scientific method or logic or (as has been stated earlier) law and ethics. Follow your religion but do it in your basement and keep it to yourself.

My 2c.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:58 am

Imo, the problem of incorporating (any) religion into science is often confused with the issue of religion in politics (and law). It's impossible to separate religion from people, and people from politics. So, religion can't be ignored. It might also be ok if "beliefs" became law. But, that's what happened in England, and some of the results were that Catholics were burned, their properties taken, and laws were made to inhibit their religious practice. Imo, that's why the founders of the US wanted to separate "church" and state. Even if it's argued that they were "Christians," they certainly weren't interested in installing a Protestant or Catholic government. The anti-Catholic sentiment in the US was strong well into the 20th century. (Just recall the controversial questions raised about JFK).

Btw, the Puritans who fled England for "religious freedom" weren't against the pogroms against Catholics. Actually, they were upset because they felt England was going back to its Catholic ways. The Puritan idea of religious freedom had nothing to do with anyone else's right to practice or not practice religion. If you broke a religious law, the Puritans would break you, literally. Of course, the state of Maryland was named after Queen Mary (wife of the Cromwell executed Catholic Charles 1) who also executed a goodly number of Protestants. There was, after all, an English Civil War over the issue of religion and, more specifically, its relation to the law. Charles claimed he was above the law because God made him king. But, Cromwell also believed that God was on his side. Someone had to change his mind or lose his head. That's what we don't want to happen here, imo.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Teazer on Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:27 pm

shawnsegler wrote:IME religion is a big part of what's keeping us from having honest, forthright discussions on morality in everything that we do. The Christian right in this country hardly follow the tenets of their own religion (unless it suits them and their prejudices) and actively work against anything that serves anything but Mammon. Morality is absent in any pursuit that puts bottom line profit margin as it's highest governing principle, and Republican Jesus stands firmly in the way of science and innovation so he's got to get his coin by deregulating to the point where they sell off the rights of us, our children and even our ecosystem to serve the getting of the riches demanded by their prosperity gospel.

If you want to believe that God made this all for you and the other people who look like you then that's fine...sad and ignorant..but fine. However you should not have fucking thing 1 to say about anything that goes on in the House Science, Space and Technology Committee or the EPA or anything that has to do with science at all. If you throw your lot in with make believe that's fine but by doing so you've said you don't believe in the scientific method or logic or (as has been stated earlier) law and ethics. Follow your religion but do it in your basement and keep it to yourself.

My 2c.

S

Hallelujah Brother!
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:38 am

..."(unless it suits them ..."

Gold Shaw.!, and its goin` like this over 2000 years already
fuckin` perpetummobile
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby meeks on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:04 am

guys, really? you should welcome them - I mean, they have reduced the number of murders of scientists that prove their religious beliefs to be incorrect... they're now safer to work with.

a couple of easy points:
earth was flat...
geocentric (church) vs heliocentric ...
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:27 am

Seriously though...this sort of shit just baffles me. How do people like this get positions of responsibility at all. The idea that this guy has any control over scientific legislation in this country makes my balls crawl back into my body in fear.

I just see society breaking down from it and guys like this roaming the land in mobs with guns and torches killing witches and putting the infidel to the sword.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/06/paul-broun-evolution-big-bang_n_1944808.html
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:23 pm

funny thing is, most religious leaders around the world need to have a degree of psychic ability to hear the voice of an enlightened being that can offer guidance, which they then impart to the masses. Many christians ostracize those that claim to hear the voice of an angel or of god, or of christ with "that's the devil!".... then they turn around and say "the bible says... the bible says..." - put down the bible and find someone that will come out of hiding from the mistreatment of being psychic that can TRULY hear the voice of their god and get the real facts, would ya?
meeks
Administrator

Postby wiesiek on Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:49 am

It is not psychic ability, meeks
from Timothy Larry time U don`t need years of practise, and running thru the forest in search for sacred mushrooms, :D
nuf to go on the corner, -twisted-
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby meeks on Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:53 am

actually, yes it is. Some people can enhance this ability with mind opening drugs. Non-psychics using these are just stoned, running through the woods looking for another mushroom.
meeks
Administrator

Postby Patrick on Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:08 am

Psychosis is not an ability. Pump up your dopamin level over 9000 and your hear voices.
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:05 pm

I met couple schizophrenics thru my life,
they can be very open minded, in explanation of the rainbows words, of the energy vibration around us :)
Who can tell where hallucinations ends, and U begun to see reality, just from different angle? ... -joint-
Experienced guy told me , that enlightenment during/after acid trip, may be compared to watching bottom of the spring.
You coudn`t see it sharp, due to fast moving water,
but sometimes ,
for tiny fraction of the sec.,there is the window, of the sharp focused view. -break-
Last edited by wiesiek on Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wiesiek
Wuji

Previous

Return to Off the Topic