Papyrus mentioning "wife of Jesus" is deemed authentic

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Papyrus mentioning "wife of Jesus" is deemed authentic

Postby Interloper on Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:44 pm

Interesting...both the carbon-dated authenticity of papyrus and ink, and the interpretation of what "wife" might mean in the context of the quote.

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/ancient-papyr ... socialflow
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Re: Papyrus mentioning "wife of Jesus" is deemed authentic

Postby GrahamB on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:20 am

Still doesn't prove he wasn't gay.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:57 am

I`m waiting how Polish Wings of the Catholic Church will explain :)
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:37 am

I think Jesus's marital state is a point of dogma that will not be changed. Imo, the only "new" facts or information that will be accepted are those that support or confirm existing dogma. The discovered papyrus may be authentic, but that doesn't mean that it's will be believed. For that, it would need to be proven that it was written by an apostle or someone as authoritative. Otherwise, it'll just be considered something that someone claimed a long time ago.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:57 am

better for Catholics Scientist to jump straight into the future for check up,
this time, diggin` in the past is fruitless anyway
:D O:) -shrug-
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:09 am

What Steve said... "Authentic"-shmathentc. It is obviously blasphemy and the works of the devil. Especially when it's coming from "science". There can only be one "good book".
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:22 pm

If people today find a way to deny a fossil, the curvature of the earth, or the distance of a light source, just because it clashes with their beliefs, they will deny anything.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Dajenarit on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:32 pm

Its not suprising if you realize Jesus only officially stopped being a man after the Council of Nicea. What would God incarnate need with a wife?
Dajenarit
Wuji

Postby Interloper on Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:48 pm

Dajenarit wrote:Its not suprising if you realize Jesus only officially stopped being a man after the Council of Nicea. What would God incarnate need with a wife?

Same thing that God Incorporeal needed Mary for, I guess. ???
But it's the other interpretation I found interesting - "wife" being a hypothetical to indicate the validity of female disciples. That is something that would shake the foundation of certain groups' core beliefs even more than the thought of an actual spouse for their earthly Lord.
Last edited by Interloper on Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:02 pm

That's true about core beliefs, but there would be very practical matters that would have to be considered. For example, priestly celibacy and the general position of women in the church. Of course, if Jesus had a wife, it would mean that he had sex, which would mean that he may have had offspring. That becomes theologically complicated if Jesus was the incarnate son of God. Otoh, since there's no mention or scriptural record of Jesus's life from around 6 to the beginning of his ministry in his 30s. So, everything about that period is speculation.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:11 pm

It appears that some people learn their religious history from Dan Brown’s novel The Da Vinci Code.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby DiaitaDoc on Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:49 pm

I'm fascinated by Nestorian Christianity, which wouldn't bat an eye at this kind of information, were it true.

That said, the papyrus in question has been proven to be an authentic document from the 700s. That's almost a millenium after Jesus' time, so not very credible. Apocryphal at best.
Last edited by DiaitaDoc on Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DiaitaDoc
Anjing

Postby Dajenarit on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:05 pm

Interloper wrote:
Dajenarit wrote:Its not suprising if you realize Jesus only officially stopped being a man after the Council of Nicea. What would God incarnate need with a wife?

Same thing that God Incorporeal needed Mary for, I guess. ???
But it's the other interpretation I found interesting - "wife" being a hypothetical to indicate the validity of female disciples. That is something that would shake the foundation of certain groups' core beliefs even more than the thought of an actual spouse for their earthly Lord.

Well yea. If God wanted to end all confusion he could of made Jesus come down out of the clouds on a horse drawn carriage.

I think it was the Gospel of Mary that argued that she was the actual heir to the church. Its argued that it might of been suppressed knowledge.

You have to admit that most early religions had no problems worshipping female deities and the feminine principle before a certain point in history. It worked out very well for patriarchy. Its harder to subjugate women if society worships their image as gods.

I'm not up on early Christianity like I used to be though.
Last edited by Dajenarit on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dajenarit
Wuji

Postby Dajenarit on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:09 pm

Bill wrote:It appears that some people learn their religious history from Dan Brown’s novel The Da Vinci Code.

This was a popular area of discussion long before Dan Brown wrote a half assed novel about it.

People have had questions about the history of early Christianity before it got codified and dogmatized and how people might of differed in practice and theology from today.

Thats why the Da Vinci Code novels were so popular I think.
Dajenarit
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:16 pm

Dajenarit wrote: most early religions had no problems worshipping female deities and the feminine principle before a certain point in history. It worked out very well for patriarchy. Its harder to subjugate women if society worships their image as gods.

Brian's way ahead of you...

viewtopic.php?p=340278#p340278
Dmitri
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic