Radon level 4.9 - to pump or not to pump?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Radon level 4.9 - to pump or not to pump?

Postby Dmitri on Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:48 am

Been looking into buying a house... EPA-recommended max level for radon presence is 4; the house tested at 4.9 -- is that reason enough to worry and install the pump to mitigate, or no big deal?

None of us smoke.

The real estate agent is freaking out/saying this is a serious problem. I've googled around a bit and I'm not so sure that it is, but I've no experience with it whatsoever so we just might do it to "be on the safe side". Even though it's a lot of money.

If anyone with the knowledge in the field would care to comment, it'd be highly appreciated!

Thanks
Dmitri
Great Old One

Re: Radon level 4.9 - to pump or not to pump?

Postby neijia_boxer on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:57 am

We had the seller install one when our home inspector found the same level. It was about 1000.00 to install. Radon levels are usually higher when in it rains and days after.
neijia_boxer

Postby Dubster on Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:21 pm

Hi Dmitri,

I am not familiar with the levels as in the UK it is legislated differently. For me, as a geologist, I would take it seriously and would probably get the pump. Direct link to lung cancer yadda yadda. If the house is perfect, think about the air flow - how draughty the house is or how easy it is to seal it up. If you can make the house and rooms 'air-tight' (double glazing, carpets etc) I would get the pump.

Have a look at this for advice:
http://www.ukradon.org/information/whatisradon

Cheers

D
Dubster
Anjing

Postby Dmitri on Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:18 pm

Thanks guys.

Well, while it'd be silly to deny it's dangerous in high concentrations, I also don't like how EPA is beating this 'radon ranger' hammer over people's heads, and even misrepresenting some of the data on its website.

Did some more reading in the meantime, and found this article, from a reliable and seemingly unbiased source, with plenty of direct research data quoted, which I thought was really good:
http://www.forensic-applications.com/ra ... And%20Risk

I dunno, still on the fence about it, but kkinda leaning against it a bit. It's not a mine shaft after all, and we're not going to be in the basement much (let alone all the time) anyway...

Will see.

Thanks again.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:34 am

Does the radon stay in the basement? Or can air currents waft it up the steps or through floor boards, into the house? Is your floor airtight to the cellar?

I'd rather err on the side of caution when it comes to radioactive gas. Since we don't know what the long-term, cumulative effects of breathing or ingesting even low levels of radon, if one makes the choice to live in a house where high concentrations of radon have been detected, perhaps doing a lot of personal research and using the best technology for mitigating exposure would be the wisest compromise.
Last edited by Interloper on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Dubster on Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:13 am

Dmitri wrote:Thanks guys.

Well, while it'd be silly to deny it's dangerous in high concentrations, I also don't like how EPA is beating this 'radon ranger' hammer over people's heads, and even misrepresenting some of the data on its website.

Did some more reading in the meantime, and found this article, from a reliable and seemingly unbiased source, with plenty of direct research data quoted, which I thought was really good:
http://www.forensic-applications.com/ra ... And%20Risk

I dunno, still on the fence about it, but kkinda leaning against it a bit. It's not a mine shaft after all, and we're not going to be in the basement much (let alone all the time) anyway...

Will see.

Thanks again.

Hey Dmitri,

I don't live in the US so not understanding the EPA mistrust but the summary is people aren't very sure of the risks and so are cautious in their advice (rightly so).

The link you posted looks very cool reading, thanks, but I think the associations with cancer are pretty clear (not interested in debating this point) and the standard advice is usually pretty sound.

A retro-fitted pump may not solve your problem if it doesn't deal with the design of your house. That is, it may pump air through the house, but are there stagnant air spots in bedrooms and the main living rooms? Will one of your brood move into the hermetically sealed loft space? Does your pump address these things (I am not familiar with pumped systems and am extrapolating from the knowledge I have fwiw)?

D

ps like Interloper said
Last edited by Dubster on Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dubster
Anjing

Postby KEND on Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:47 am

As an engineer and a one time physicist I would advise extreme caution. There is exposure to natural radiation all the time, any level of radiation is detrimental and carries risk. The level quoted is a guideline but does not guarantee immunity, also I distrust agency figures-remember how women were recommended to have x rays on a regular basis and it was found that the x rays themselves put them at risk. I f you install the equipment make sure the radon is not infiltrating back into the house, also check on supplements that counter radiation
KEND
Great Old One

Postby roger hao on Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:36 am

When you shop for a home you have to make a list that you will not compromise.
Otherwise you allow other things to over-ride your judgement and you will regret it as years pass.
Radon - is not on my list because it is a given for me - like 'don't buy a house in the crater of a volcano.
Or in a flood plain. In other words - are you nuts man?
Last edited by roger hao on Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roger hao

Postby Interloper on Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:46 am

Really. That is quite true.
Radon gas is radioactive. Do you really want your family and yourself getting more radiation than they already do from natural and artificial sources (dental x-rays, mammograms, etc.)? If you can't prevent it from seeping into the basement and the house, why would you put yourself and your family at risk?

The only mitigating factor I can see, is having the basement sealed against seepage, using a special epoxy. But that is not foolproof, and it's costly. If I were looking for a new house, I would do my homework about the area (earthquake fault lines, flood plains, proximity to nuclear power plants and other toxic sources, etc.) and have it tested for radon as one of the primary red flags, even ahead of issues like crumbling foundations, flooding and termites.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic