Get with this people

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Get with this people

Postby shawnsegler on Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:21 pm

No, putting food on the table of my five year old is very important to me.

Pardon me for having a shitty job.

If you don't want to address the fact that the attitude you're championing is cheap you aren't alone. Lots of cheap people don't think they are.

Anyway, we've never had any static Teazer. I'd just as soon keep it that way.

You follow your heart and I'll follow mine.

Peace,

S

You follow your conciensce
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Teazer on Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:46 pm

shawnsegler wrote:If you don't want to address the fact that the attitude you're championing is cheap you aren't alone. Lots of cheap people don't think they are.

Keeping on with that 'cheap' line is neither productive nor accurate. You might not want to throw it at people you don't know.

Anyway, we've never had any static Teazer. I'd just as soon keep it that way.

That's probably for the best. Good luck -toast-
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:54 pm

I factor into the cost of eating out the need to leave a decent tip. If you think about how the restaurant biz works, you are not encouraging good practices if you go light on the tip. Some people seem to think they are--but it isn't your job to teach the waiter a lesson. As I said previously, if a place is really screwed up I don't go back, and if it is really, really screwed up, I mention it around.

Little lapses in service can be expected in the best of restaurants, now and then. You don't know what is happening back in the kitchen, whether they are short on cooks, or accidentally incinerated your entree, or whether your waiter just finished covering for two absent waiters for hours before you got there, or anything. So I try to put the best face on what I see. As Shawn points out, it can be a difficult business at times.

In the planning phase of Operation Dinner, I figure 20% on top of list price as a cost of doing business. If that is going to go out of budget, I stay home.

You don't have to eat out. You can prepare lots of kinds of good food fast with a wok, a chopping block and cleaver, and this book: http://www.amazon.com/Gourmet-Chinese-Regional-Cookbook/dp/0890093849. If you factor in the time spent in transit to the restaurant, time waiting for food, etc., you actually don't save time by eating out, if you know some of the good old hack-and-sear recipes.

That's just my perspective on it, but as I also mentioned previously, I can usually get a table. And a waiter too.
Last edited by klonk on Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Bär on Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:13 pm

klonk wrote:Little lapses in service can be expected in the best of restaurants, now and then. You don't know what is happening back in the kitchen, whether they are short on cooks, or accidentally incinerated your entree, or whether your waiter just finished covering for two absent waiters for hours before you got there, or anything. So I try to put the best face on what I see. As Shawn points out, it can be a difficult business at times.

QFT
Bär
Great Old One

Postby kreese on Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:28 pm

Most people think food just magically makes itself. Mama's boys.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby chud on Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:59 pm

Heh heh, so Teazer, in addition to being an unabashed supporter of the Federal Reserve and its monetary policies, you're also against tipping? Say it ain't so Mr Pink!
chud
Great Old One

Postby Capt Kramerica on Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:02 pm

Tips are given for good service.

It's not a charity.
Capt Kramerica

Postby Teazer on Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:27 pm

chud wrote:Heh heh, so Teazer, in addition to being an unabashed supporter of the Federal Reserve and its monetary policies, you're also against tipping? Say it ain't so Mr Pink!

Combine the two - good idea. Maybe the Fed could change to a tip policy where it would hand out freshly minted bills at Christmas to all the good boys & girls. ;D
If you're interested, what I generally tip in the USA was spelled out on page 1.
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:01 am

So what do you all tip for drinks? I usually tip $1 per drink, sometimes two when its my favorite waitress.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:35 am

it's worth mentioning that as the recession gets deeper and things get more fucked (the 700 billion will only float the markets 'til Bush is in the clear, then it's Obama's mess), there will be a whole lot less dining out occurring. People are already not traveling, more and more consumer confidence is fading away.

Unfortunately, deep in February of 09, people will start to see the beginning of the depression and by the end of '09 it will be very sad all over the world.
It's a cycle, and we are due, especially because of the greed and unbridled craziness of the unregulated market. It will happen again too, such is the way.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:38 am

Yeah, I'm aware. That's why I'm going back to school. Hopefully the world wont fall completely to pieces.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:41 am

Two Fridays ago I was in Hong Kong, Kowloon more precisely. In fact I was in one of the most heavily populated places on earth at get home rush hour on a Friday evening in Mong Kok, where normally there's a sea of people and sardine city in the subway. And it was positively quiet. Less than half the normal crowd by far. Only thing I can figure is money problems.
Michael

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:45 am

shawnsegler wrote:Yeah, I'm aware. That's why I'm going back to school. Hopefully the world wont fall completely to pieces.

S

That's what martial arts are for. :D
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic