Santi saved my life

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Santi saved my life

Postby Brady on Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:40 am

So this morning I'm riding into school on my bike, its a wet rainy day out so I think "should I bring my helmet?" But I decided I'm far too cool for that.

Anyways, about half way there, I catch a flat tire on my bike wheel, hit the brakes, and start skidding out. Of course, this has to happen right next to a gigantic MBTA bus . . . and my tire got caught right in front of the back wheel of the bus. So now my back wheel is stuck under the bus, my front gets caught on a parked car, and the pervailing message in my brain is "oh fuck."

Anyways, I hopped off the book and ended up straddling it in a Santi stance. The bike gets wrenched and snapped under my legs, completely totaled. If my stance wasn't strong I would have probably fallen down with the bike and ended up under the bus. Scary shit. And who says standing training isn't applicable?!
Brady
Wuji

Re: Santi saved my life

Postby Ian on Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:47 am

Well holy shit...

I'm glad you're not dead.

And make sure you wear a helmet next time! :)
Ian

Postby GrahamB on Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:25 am

Cool!

Similar thing happened to me on a bike, except without hitting any parked vehicles - I just tried to mount the kerb at speed and it all went wrong - bike just collapsed under me and I just hopped off - I think breakfall training was what saved me - I just didn't panic when I felt myself falling. Didn't manage to land in a perfect San Ti though ;)
Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Brady on Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:32 am

Ya there has been a couple of times I've had to use break fall techniques too . . . I tend to ride too hard.

I guess I didn't realize right away how much it bruised me up my legs are sore as hell now that the endorphins left my body.
Brady
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:47 am

I see you have yet to comprehend the soft ;)
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:22 am

Wow, good thing your not dead or injured!
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic