Proposition K

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Proposition K

Postby Steve James on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:47 am

they call them "kurtyzana" /sorry if englisch version of this word is different/ not a prostitute

Yes, they were called "courtesans" ...
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:52 am

could anyone name a time in history when prostitution was respected by society or when whores had dignity? Really?

Chris I'm also surprised you had to ask. Haven't you read the bible?

Rahab the prostitute hid two Hebrew spies in her brothel prior to the battle of Jericho. Joshua and the Israelites killed every man, woman, child, and animal in city, but spared Rahab and her family.

Mary Magdalene.

The goddess Ishtar was supposed to be a prostitute and the Babylonians revered her.

Aphrodite was the patron goddess of prostitution. Dozens of temples were erected (huh huh... yeah) in her name.

Phryne of ancient Greece was a famous and wealthy courtesan.

Apparently, one of the pyramids of Egypt was built for the Greek prostitute Rhodopis.

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are a lot more.
Ian

Postby I-mon on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:58 am

Ian = IGNORED!!!
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:29 am

actually, the telling of Mary Magdalene as a prostitute is held in question by scholars today who say that in fact she wasn't but that the Roman Catholic church has made her out to be over time to move away from any sort of matriarchal values being associated with the dominantly patriarchal value system as established by the christian church among other reasons.

Mary Magdalene was not a prostitute, but more likely a bonafide disciple of jesus. this conflicts heavily with the entire idea of the papacy and so on and so forth.

Having said all that, stories from the new testament have yet to get firm historical proof of their actuality. Which is another thing entirely and has more to do with the deification of jesus that occured much later sometime around 300ad or so prior to which he was still just a man and a rabbi and so on. But that's another story...

just sayin...
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:59 am

I-mon wrote:Ian = IGNORED!!!

Mike Strong nooooo! :'(

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:actually, the telling of Mary Magdalene as a prostitute is held in question by scholars today...

Not many details in the bible aren't. :)
Ian

Previous

Return to Off the Topic