Journalistic Ethics -- by Orson Scott Card

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Journalistic Ethics -- by Orson Scott Card

Postby klonk on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:58 pm

http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/2008-10-05-1.html

This is by Orson Scott Card--you may know him as a newspaper guy or as a sci fi writer, and he's a Democrat. Here he takes a look at the state of journalistic ethics. Whether you are on the Obamunist band wagon or not, journalistic ethics have to matter to you. If you can't trust what you are hearing, who cares if it is what you want to hear? In fact, that may be dangerous to your own interests...

Snippet:

This was a Congress-caused crisis, beginning during the Clinton administration, with Democrats leading the way into the crisis and blocking every effort to get out of it in a timely fashion.

If you at our local daily newspaper continue to let Americans believe --and vote as if -- President Bush and the Republicans caused the crisis, then you are joining in that lie.

If you do not tell the truth about the Democrats -- including Barack Obama -- and do so with the same energy you would use if the miscreants were Republicans -- then you are not journalists by any standard.

I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Re: Journalistic Ethics -- by Orson Scott Card

Postby Bär on Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:18 pm

He has described himself as a Moynihan Democrat, and later as a "Tony Blair" Democrat, saying he has to look outside the U.S. for someone representative for his views now that Moynihan has died and the Democrats oppose Bush. He has written columns condemning extremist liberals as being part of what's wrong with America, and praises Zell Miller for trying to save the Democratic Party. During the 2004 election Card wrote many articles supporting the Bush/Cheney ticket, criticizing John Kerry, and lambasting his own state's senator, John Edwards, as being absurd, insincere, and an opportunistic shill. Prior to the 2004 presidential race, Card had written that his state needed to regain control from people like Edwards and advocated running a strong primary opponent against Edwards should he run for reelection to the Senate.[13] He has also been a staunch defender of Fox News, stating that "It's a good feeling to hear about our war from people who actually think it would be a good thing if we win." [14] Card also publicly endorses children of illegal immigrants receiving in-state college tuition rates[15] and has stated there is a need for moderation in tax cuts.[16]

On November 6, 2006, just one day before a major election in the United States, Card wrote an opinion piece for RealClearPolitics, in which he encourages voters to support the Republicans:
“ There is only one issue in this election that will matter five or ten years from now, and that's the War on Terror... I say this as a Democrat, for whom the Republican domination of government threatens many values that I hold to be important to America's role as a light among nations. But there are no values that matter to me that will not be gravely endangered if we lose this war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orson_Scott_Card

Card's a homophobic Bush/Cheney loving nutjob. Not a mainstream dem by even his own standards.

I'm afraid I can't take much of anything he says very seriously.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:27 pm

that and he has fucked up the ender's game movie that we've all been waiting for.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby klonk on Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:36 pm

nianfong wrote:that and he has fucked up the ender's game movie that we've all been waiting for.

Hey. The author has only so much say in how that goes. The short story and the novel that he spun off it were pretty good.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:40 pm

So, are there any attacks forthcoming here on what he said in the article, or just on who he is (ad hominem)?
klonk
Great Old One

Postby zenshiite on Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:51 pm

I have a hard time even bothering it listen to anythign this dude says. He wrote a book a while back called "Empire" that he proposed was non-partisan and yet his heroes were all neo-cons and his villians were liberals who started a civil war in the US. His nod to "non-partisanship" was only to have his neo-con special forces guy have a wife who was a democrat but who agreed with everything her neo-con husband did.

To top it off, in his blog he suggests that the freedom of religion be taken away from Muslims in this country if they don't renounce execution for apostacy.... as if any American Muslim actually practices this religious ruling from 12 centuries ago. Let alone as if there were many such executions going on in the Muslim world. So Orson Scott Card has about as much credibility as Hitler would in my eyes.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby klonk on Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:29 pm

No, huh?
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:48 pm

How do we know that Orson Scott Card has journalistic ethics?

I agree that they should exist. If there's something that FOX news, Hannity, Limbaugh or Gov. Palin is not telling us about Obama, why not make it simple and just leak it now? It's been a big tease waiting for the "October surprise." Shucks, it's almost Nov.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Orpheus on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:40 pm

For somebody so keen on journalistic ethics, it seems to be a lot of unsupported statements. By unsupported, I mean undocumented.

For example, what specific actions, laws or regulations during the Clinton Years caused this result? When did these warnings occur? Are they recorded, or are the anecdotal evidence?

His concern with journalistic ethics is that they are not pursuing the story where they should. My problem with his journalistic ethics is that he makes claims that he doesn't substantiate.
Orpheus
Anjing

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:19 pm

This is by Orson Scott Card--you may know him as a newspaper guy or as a sci fi writer, and he's a Democrat. Here he takes a look at the state of journalistic ethics.

He's also very, very, very mormon.

NTTAWWT

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby zenshiite on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:29 pm

Like I said, OSC's a great sci-fi author and that's where he should stay. His knowledge in any field outside that is poor. Very very poor. Some of the stuff he said recently about the whole thing between JK Rowling and the guy that was trying to publish a Harry Potter guidebook were just rediculous. And this is from a guy who is an author... he clearly didn't know the first thing about copywrite and fair use. Ultimately the courts ruled in the opposite direction that OSC thought it should go.

The dude doesn't know what he's talking about unless he makes it up... which is largely what his opinion peices are, lower quality fiction than what he's famed for writing.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby TaoJoannes on Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:09 pm

klonk wrote:
nianfong wrote:that and he has fucked up the ender's game movie that we've all been waiting for.

Hey. The author has only so much say in how that goes. The short story and the novel that he spun off it were pretty good.

Don't you mean "the series of six books"?

I love the whole fam damily in the enderverse.
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic