The Islamic State

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: The Islamic State

Postby Steve James on Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:53 pm

Wow, aren't there even Muslim martial arts in China. I would have sworn.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby zenshiite on Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:18 pm

Michael wrote:
zenshiite wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_China

It's easy to see Chinese Muslims in Guangzhou. There's a mosque here built on the site of one of the first mosques in China and there are Chinese Muslims running businesses all over the city, frequently restaurants, which are the only places of consistent quality and minimal wholesomeness (less gutter oil) that you can depend upon. There is a neighborhood around the mosque (Xi Men Kou) with lots of Muslim food shops and butchers, and is once again one of the few places where you can expect reasonable quality. There are also many Chinese Muslims in Guangzhou who are temporarily doing street vendor business found all over the city.

I think Chinese Muslims are a model of assimilation while still maintaining the character of their religion.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby Michael on Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:18 pm

zenshiite wrote:I think Chinese Muslims are a model of assimilation while still maintaining the character of their religion.

That's my general impression from living here, but I only have about 1% more to go on than someone paying attention from the outside. The recent demonization by the govt. of Chinese Muslims associated with the problems in Xinjinag are outrageous. Guess there's no need to go into that here, but just for comparison, as an outsider on the very edge, it appears to me that Christian Missionaries in China are, from the POV of the Beijing govt, causing more "trouble" than Muslims. Just my impression, although I don't agree with the perspective that has led to such extreme religious persecution here against many groups, and again I'm not that crazy about religion in general.
Michael

Postby zenshiite on Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:57 pm

Michael wrote:
zenshiite wrote:I think Chinese Muslims are a model of assimilation while still maintaining the character of their religion.

That's my general impression from living here, but I only have about 1% more to go on than someone paying attention from the outside. The recent demonization by the govt. of Chinese Muslims associated with the problems in Xinjinag are outrageous. Guess there's no need to go into that here, but just for comparison, as an outsider on the very edge, it appears to me that Christian Missionaries in China are, from the POV of the Beijing govt, causing more "trouble" than Muslims. Just my impression, although I don't agree with the perspective that has led to such extreme religious persecution here against many groups, and again I'm not that crazy about religion in general.

It's my understanding that the Hui are getting less flack from the government than the Uyghurs. Uyghurs have always gotten the short end of the stick when it comes to Muslims living under or being brought under the umbrella of Chinese rule. Hui are a bit different because they are nearly indistinguishable from Han at this point.

Christians seem to have never been particularly welcome. As far back as the Tang Dynasty, Nestorian Christians were included under the anti-Buddhist Imperial decree. Muslims present weren't targeted along with the rest of the non-native Chinese religious groups. Probably because they weren't propagating much and generally kept their heads down and focused on conducting trade.
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby Michael on Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:47 pm

Right, of course there's a clear separation of Chinese Muslims between Uyghurs and Hui. I should have just said Uyghurs. I never hear anything about problems with Hui.
Michael

Postby willywrong on Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:57 pm

grzegorz wrote:I have to admit that it's a catchy name.

http://www.vice.com/en_au/video/journal ... amic-state
willywrong

Postby yeniseri on Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:23 am

Steve James wrote:Wow, aren't there even Muslim martial arts in China. I would have sworn.

Other than being rhetorical, there is Zhaquan, some origins of xinyiliuhe and even xingyi (variation of a single source ;D ) so the historical record is there!
Last edited by yeniseri on Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby edededed on Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:02 pm

A lot of times, religious groups will be alright if they are a minority.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby leifeng on Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:17 pm

A lot of times, religious groups will be alright if they are a minority.

Depends on the size of the minority and on the religion/cult. Ideologies can be very dangerous especially those that start their history by genocide and mass rape. Unfortunately we have a big list of them and they are going to haunt us for many generations.
leifeng
Huajing

Postby edededed on Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:53 pm

Yeah - of course, lots of religions have dangerous thinking. If you happen to live in a region where 90% of the people are that religion, you will be screwed. If you live in a region where only 1% of the people are that religion, well - it's a bit of a better situation.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby chud on Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:40 am

Islamic State executes American Peter Kassig (5th Western hostage) and threatens slaughter on Western streets: click
chud
Great Old One

Postby zenshiite on Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:39 pm

chud wrote:Islamic State executes American Peter Kassig (5th Western hostage) and threatens slaughter on Western streets: click

And Kessig had apparently converted to Islam. So that says an awful lot about these douchebags.

May they burn in hellfire, and may the Muslims in the region get their shit together and wipe these assholes out soon. Amin.
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby Interloper on Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:07 pm

Nothing more than an extremist group using religion as a vehicle, corrupted to rationalize their twisted and perverted world view.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby leifeng on Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:05 pm

And Kessig had apparently converted to Islam. So that says an awful lot about these douchebags.

He converted in ISIS captivity. I think ISIS would say "So that says a lot about his conversion".

May they burn in hellfire, and may the Muslims in the region get their shit together and wipe these assholes out soon. Amin.

So now you are takfiring a group of Muslims because they have different interpretations. I wonder who that sounds like...
Anyway I don't think takfiring each other can solve the problem. It just makes more rival radical groups.
Last edited by leifeng on Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leifeng
Huajing

Postby Michael on Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:51 am

leifeng wrote:

So now you are takfiring a group of Muslims because they have different interpretations. I wonder who that sounds like...
Anyway I don't think takfiring each other can solve the problem. It just makes more rival radical groups.

ISIS has little to no religious credibility, no political clout, no national recognition, and are slaughtering and pillaging. Full military action is appropriate, IMO, although hellfire is up to god anyway, so.
Michael

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic