Thank a Liberal!

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Thank a Liberal!

Postby chud on Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:26 am

Steve James wrote:It's not Obama that stops marijuana legislation; it's hypocrisy.

Nixon added cannabis to Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act with a stroke of his pen; Obama could de-schedule it with a stroke of his very well-used pen.
chud
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:15 am

I don't know about schedules, but pot has been illegal since the 1920s at least. It's not worth looking up because blaming Obama is just ridiculous. Any president in the last 100 years "could" have done something. And if Obama did it, the same people would condemn him. That's been the pattern.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:47 am

Steve James wrote:I don't know about schedules, but pot has been illegal since the 1920s at least. It's not worth looking up because blaming Obama is just ridiculous. Any president in the last 100 years "could" have done something. And if Obama did it, the same people would condemn him. That's been the pattern.

Yeah, It's pretty well documented that the reason that cannabis was made illegal was as a tool to impact the racial groups that used them so that they could be litigated against and in some cases deported. In the case of cannabis to target Hispanics and Blacks and in the case of opium to target the Chinese. You can't outlaw racial groups, but you can outlaw their cultural intoxicants and then have an excuse to deport people who break those laws.

:P

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:28 pm

And then the religious extremists took it too seriously and banned alcohol.
Michael

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:25 pm

I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:32 pm

In spite of all experiences in the USA failing at the drug war for about 100 years, while other countries demonstrate more successful methods of dealing with the social problems of drug use, people still think "Just say no," is gonna work. Optimism or crossed wires?
Michael

Postby grzegorz on Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:40 am

Trump Administration Promises To Increase Marijuana Arrests To Grow Private Prison Industry

http://alternativemediasyndicate.com/20 ... -industry/
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:07 am

Just as an aside what drugs would most here be in favor of legalizing.

What happens if ones drug of choice is not in favor or is shown to be dangerous with
long term use, should it be legalized?

What happens if one becomes dependent on the drug, and the gov decides to increase taxes on it.
What happens if later on its shown that there are health issues associated with long term use.

The states and big businesses have not been really shown
to be the ones doing things in the best interest for "health" :P
They do like "taxes and profits"
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:15 am

shawnsegler wrote:
Steve James wrote:I don't know about schedules, but pot has been illegal since the 1920s at least. It's not worth looking up because blaming Obama is just ridiculous. Any president in the last 100 years "could" have done something. And if Obama did it, the same people would condemn him. That's been the pattern.

Yeah, It's pretty well documented that the reason that cannabis was made illegal was as a tool to impact the racial groups that used them so that they could be litigated against and in some cases deported. In the case of cannabis to target Hispanics and Blacks and in the case of opium to target the Chinese. You can't outlaw racial groups, but you can outlaw their cultural intoxicants and then have an excuse to deport people who break those laws.

:P

S

ya it's always about that of course one could go to Singapore. They wont deport you, not at first :P

The possession, consumption, manufacturing, import, export, or trafficking of these and other controlled drugs in any amount are illegal. Persons caught with less than the Mandatory Death Penalty amounts of these controlled substances face penalties ranging from caning[9] (up to 24 strokes) to life in prison. Pursuant to a law change in 2009, cannabis (marijuana) and marijuana mixtures (diluted with other substances) are treated the same under Singapore law—the presumed intent is trafficking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misuse_of ... (Singapore)

Class A – Part I

The Singapore embarkation card contains a warning to visitors about the death penalty for drug trafficking. Warning signs can be found at the Johor-Singapore Causeway and other border entries. Singapore Airlines and Jetstar Asia Airways also announces similar warnings to air passengers during flights to the country.
Some examples include:
Amphetamine
Buprenorphine
Cannabinol (and derivatives)
Cannabis :o
Cocaine (in all forms, including coca leaf)
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:59 am

I just looked at the top of the page and was reminded about how
Obama could de-schedule it with a stroke of his very well-used pen.

What would ya say if trump de-scheduled it? I mean, I've heard that he plans to crack down on recreational marijuana use. Iinm, the cops in Maine (:)) have been demanding clarification. Someone might want to look it up; it might be fake news.

Anyway, afa pot, grass, reefer, marijuana, etc., I don't think anyone should go to jail for it. I don't see why owning a weapon is more of a right than smoking a plant. I do see that Jeff Sessions, and others, know that the private prison system thrives on the incarceration of drug offenders. I mention Jeff because he wants to get rid of the Obama era JD rule that the federal gov't wouldn't use the private prison syste... er, business. But, excuse my tangent.

I think it's hypocritical that "legal" drugs are far more dangerous in fact, and everyone knows it. Yet, "moon shiners" have tv shows, and not more than one either. They're celebrated, and that comes from the long tradition of them being identified with American individual freedom, the belief that it was none of the government's business to interfere, the rebel spirit. Shucks, everybody knows it gave birth to NASCAR.

Here at RSF we can celebrate alcohol, but we also know its effects. So, count me in for decriminalization of marijuana for personal use, including the growing of plants. Hey, legalization and regulation is a matter for the community to decide.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:08 am

Oh, re: private prisons and old Jeff (the new AD) and business in general.

The Bureau of Prisons first turned to privately operated prisons in 1997 to help alleviate overcrowding. The partnership grew steadily, focusing primarily on low-security inmates designated as "criminal aliens" — non-citizens who've committed a crime — with less than eight years left on their sentences. In fiscal year 2014, the contracts were worth about $639 million, up from $562 million in fiscal year 2011.

Private prisons mostly benefit two publicly traded companies

Those companies are CoreCivic (which until recently was known as Corrections Corporation of America), and The Geo Group. The two companies, both generous contributors to President Trump, run the majority of the BOP's contracted prisons, as well as dozens of other facilities used to detain immigrants who are in the country illegally.

The companies' fortunes climb and fall with federal criminal justice policies. Their stocks plunged after Obama's deputy attorney general issued the phase-out memo on Aug. 18, and shot up after Donald Trump, who'd called for more private prisons, won election on Nov. 8. Since then, companies' share prices have been steadily rising — and they enjoyed a bump from Sessions' memo.

Google to source.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:17 am

I don't see why owning a weapon is more of a right than smoking a plant.

Just a guess, maybe because the framers of the constitution felt that by smoking a plant or drinking one could not form
“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

ya never know :-\

however it might fall under ""Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"
One could and they did argue about what happiness meant.

There was a debate about what the word 'happiness' meant in 1776. Current usage focuses on pleasant, positive emotions and having needs satisfied,[7][8] whereas in 1776 the common meaning may have been "prosperity, thriving, wellbeing"

maybe happiness is a "warm gun" for some or a "warm blunt" for others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zei3xnivwFk
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:26 am

I dunno what you meant by this:

Just a guess, maybe because the framers of the constitution felt that by smoking a plant or drinking one could not form "“A well regulated Militia..."

You're jokin, right. You know that "rum rations" were a tradition in the militaries of the 18th century. In the Continental Army, a quart of beer was part of the standard daily provision. But, you knew that, I'm sure.
http://americanhistory.si.edu/blog/2013 ... y-war.html

Well regulated militias --- marijuana deregulation :), I never thought of that. It does show the depth of understanding of the framers and the Constitution. Rather than rationalize, it might be better to just say that firearm ownership is mentioned in the Constitution, and pot's not. I just brought up alcohol; I could have brought up tobacco. There is a reason why it'll be taxed but not prohibited. Hint: it's profitable. And, the Revolution itself was funded by tobacco growers, not to mention that the founders also grew the stuff. Just saying. It's not about "health" or "rights" (to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Got to say it's shame to read those words in this context).
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:34 am

According to Breitbart the US legalizing weed hurts the "bad hombres" South of the border.

Marijuana Legalization in U.S. Cuts Mexican Pot Profits by 70 Percent

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2016/01/ ... 0-percent/
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:33 pm

Poll: Majority of Republicans support marijuana legalization

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/25/politics/ ... index.html
grzegorz
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic