Eunuchs of Imperial China

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Eunuchs of Imperial China

Postby Bob on Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:39 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbgCpmIuaNU

Note: Thoughtful discussion, comments, or questions are encouraged. However, any profane, irrelevant, or just plain stupid comments will not be allowed!

The history of imperial China cannot be understood without knowing the significant role played by the Eunuchs. Often, they were able to use their intimate connection to the Emperor and the royal family to manipulate the throne and enrich themselves. Indeed, several Eunuchs throughout Chinese history became the de facto rulers. This video lecture is a brief introduction to the Eunuchs of Imperial China.

For and excellent discussion of the history of Eunuchs within Christianity see "The Practice and Prohibition of Self-Castration in Early Christianity," by Daniel Caner in Vigilae Christianae, vol 51, No. 4 (Nov., 1997), pp. 396-415. http://goo.gl/NIYDaK

This video is for use by history classes at Richland Community College. The images and video used in this production are either in the public domain or qualify as fair use under 17 USC § 107 and the TEACH Act of 2002.

Bob
Great Old One

Re: Eunuchs of Imperial China

Postby Bob on Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:47 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3hqKDHzYWc

Chinese Footbinding "In Her Own Words"

Uploaded on Feb 9, 2010

Young Chinese girl recounts her memories of footbinding; pictures of Chinese girls and women with bound feet; pictures of gold lotus shoes.

Bob
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:52 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qdxBt9 ... faH7OVSacA

18th Century Government and Society in the Qing Dyanasty

Bob
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:44 am

Bob:

I think you may have posted this on the wrong forum

SNIP
Thoughtful discussion, comments, or questions are encouraged. However, any profane, irrelevant, or just plain stupid comments will not be allowed!
SNIP
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:09 am

Andy:

Not really - in the history of bagua zhang it is often asserted that Dong Haichuan became a eunuch in order to become a guard at the palace. Knowing the background of eunuchs, their history and their characteristics may help shed light on the likelihood that indeed Dong Haichuan became a eunuch. Don't recall anyone claiming that Dong Haichuan had a particular odor about him.

Furthermore I find it useful to understand the backdrop of Chinese martial arts - the society, its values, what was marked as important. Sometimes posters seem to make martial arts larger than the life from which they were drawn so these types of posting are often useful in helping put martial arts in a more historical context, especially if they are drawn from non martial artists.

Yeah, I post it in the Off The Topic area - those who find it interesting and useful will watch them and those who don't, well, that's fine - no one has to watch them. Those who want to see martial arts simply from the martial side will ignore it and those who desire a more "wholistic" perspective will enjoy what is posted.

Generally I leave out my comments so those who are interested can form their own opinions otherwise the posted opinion has the potential to become the center of the discussion(or attack! LOL) and that would not be my purpose.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby roger hao on Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:13 pm

Bob - I followed your request to take your topic seriously.
I had refrained from watching the vid at work in case they were
to monitor my web activity and get ideas.
I just watched the vid and want to say you got me - good one
Dr Balzac - very funny - haha castration explained by Dr Balzac
The Undistinguished Dr Balzac
roger hao

Postby Miro on Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:26 am

We have entered a voyeuristic, or "phanic," era where esoteric ideas and methods are only unveiled and put within reach of everyone because they no longer have any chance of being understood. (Mircea Eliade)
Miro
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:28 am

i have to agree:
Dr Balzac is da men :)
I like historical footage of the v.
From the MA perspective it is rather pointless action.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Michael Babin on Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:27 am

I'd get the ball rolling on this discussion but I'm too shy!
;D
My Website [with a link to my Youtube Channel] https://sites.google.com/view/mbtaiji/home
Michael Babin
Wuji

Postby Bob on Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:18 am

roger hao wrote:Bob - I followed your request to take your topic seriously.
I had refrained from watching the vid at work in case they were
to monitor my web activity and get ideas.
I just watched the vid and want to say you got me - good one
Dr Balzac - very funny - haha castration explained by Dr Balzac
The Undistinguished Dr Balzac

Thank you Roger but please take the topic in a way that serves you best.

For me it answers the question as to whether Dong Haichuan was ever a eunuch [in my mind he clearly was not, given the characteristics of what eunuch would possess and there seems nothing in the written record to indicate Dong Haichuan smelled or had a high pitched voice. It also would have affected his strength. Others have said he had a technique to "suck in his testicles" to give the appearance of being castrated and therefore the appearance of a eunuch. Well, as you see in the clip, the Chinese not only remove the "dan dan" they also hack off the "Xiao di di".]

Foot binding was just interesting to me personally since my wife's grandmother had her feet bound and lived with them for some years [her family].

Historical background always interesting to me.

Thanks and take care - yeah, don't watch this at work! LOL They have other ways of "castrating" employees today! LOL :-X
Last edited by Bob on Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:50 pm

Yeah - perhaps calling Dong a eunuch was a way of badmouthing him. However, some sources do say that some of the eunuchs were taught baguazhang as well (by Yin Fu); others in the bagua school may have had good relations with eunuchs as well (like Liang Zhenpu's first disciple Li Taidong).

Foot-binding is another weird old custom - goes to show you how people really don't think for the most part, they just imitate!
edededed
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic