Tears in the Rain

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Tears in the Rain

Postby KEND on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:54 am

Watched Bladerunner yesterday, a great Scifi movie that was unappreciated at the time, Rutger Hauers Tears in the Rain still sends shivers up my spine
KEND
Great Old One

Re: Tears in the Rain

Postby everything on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:10 pm

definitely a great scene. great speech. great acting.

I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [small cough] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...

There was a recent four part bbc documentary on sci fi. The first part is about robots (R2D2 and C3PO) and AI (HAL) and the mix like Roy Batty and the replicants, the Terminator, etc. They talk about the common themes and the changes: robots taking over, robots as AI, humans as part robot like Robocop, humans "enter" the simulated world (Matrix), etc. They do a nice description of that scene and an interview with Rutger Hauer. Haven't seen the next three parts.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby I-mon on Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:18 pm

One of my favourite movies of all time, and that's the best scene.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:13 pm

everything wrote:There was a recent four part bbc documentary on sci fi.

Do you happen to recall the name of that?
Michael

Postby everything on Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:07 pm

The Real History of Science Fiction
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:40 pm

"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:32 pm

Thanks very much, both of you gents, Sir Panda, Sir James :)
Sci-fi movies are my absolute favorite, next being spy movies.

Let's see if my VPN ability to emerge in the UK with a limey IP will help me with this one.
Nope, but t0rr_3ntt did the trick, haha.
Last edited by Michael on Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Postby Andy_S on Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:56 pm

I thought the original ending of Blade Runner was far better, more appropriate and more poignant than the one they actually used in the release (ie the couple drive into a charming arboreal forest paradise where they will, presumably, live happily ever after).

Ridley Scott is a very uneven director - Prometheus had massive promise but turned out to be dire - but even so, he has created some of the most stunning looking films ever made: The Duelists, Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven...
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:37 pm

Don't worry Ken - he's about to do a sequel to Bladerunner. Which is probably about the worst idea he's had.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film ... itten.html

Saying that, I really did like Prometheus.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:10 am

GrahamB wrote:Don't worry Ken - he's about to do a sequel to Bladerunner. Which is probably about the worst idea he's had.

I wish he could do a remake on the original, not massacred script instead. Or at least, get some of the best stuff into this new movie. The it will become totally awesome. The original script was even darker, more violent and much, much more awesome. You should look it up and read the opening scene that didn't make it. Magnificent.

Saying that, I really did like Prometheus.

:o ... 8-)

I kinda liked it as well. Not totally, but kind of.. :)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:11 pm

There is a radio and theater adaptation and two audiobooks of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?".
Last edited by Taste of Death on Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby KEND on Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:27 am

Its a long time since I read 'Do Androids....', probably in the late sixties. At the time I did not think of him as a major SF writer, as the title suggests it was somewhat tongue on cheek, although he did in his own way, exploring ideas on identity and the nature of reality, Bladerunner was a pleasant surprise, in its time revolutionary in its use of special effects without letting them become the main focus, as seems to be the case in many recent movies. It was prophetic, complex, touching where the androids were given dignity and not part of a 'them [bad] and us [good]' simplistic rehash of an old Hollywood script. I fear that a sequel unless written by some highly creative script writer will be a letdown [sometimes sequels work, and are equal or better than the originals-' The Terminator' is a case in point]
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:37 am

I don't think it's possible to make a sequel to a classic film. It'll be a new film, maybe with some of the same characters. Otherwise, it'll be anti-climactic. For one thing, it's impossible to recreate surprise. Of course, it is possible to have another good film with androids.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby daniel pfister on Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:11 pm

I heard that the line "like tears in the rain" was an ad lib, not in the script or book. Pretty cool
daniel pfister
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic