Infant Swimming

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Infant Swimming

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:19 pm

И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Re: Infant Swimming

Postby Dmitri on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:56 pm

Scary to even look at, but yeah, very cool. We missed the age window now, but regardless I'm not sure I'd have had the guts to watch them practice that sort of thing...
Are you consider it for the baby?

On a related note... We strongly considered water birth with our first kid, but then during my research I found out that my dad knew Igor Charkovsky personally, back in the 80's, and apparently there were some problems with that whole idea, like risks of drowning and infection -- although of course the proponents of the method don't like to talk about them. Vast majority of cases was completely safe, but I wasn't about to try and roll that roulette... So we did it more like humans and less like dolphins. No regrets whatsoever. Just FYI, anyway.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:00 pm

I have to talk to my gf about this. She is against me testing the idea that newborns can swim. :D

Anyway, I must be getting very thenthitive, because the baby crying at the end almost made me cry. :-[ I think that I will join Mix, in the corner. ;D
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:19 pm

It's normal I think... (i.e. very different from Mix's case... ;D)
Dunno if there's any scientific support for this idea, but I believe fathers go through certain changes during mom's pregnancy as well, including hormonal, etc.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:22 pm

I saw a TV program at least 20 years ago on infants swimming underwater. Nothing new, I guess.

One of my earlier recollections is of learning to swim, though it wasn't until I was 3 years old. My teacher at the "Y" was a former Marine with a buzz cut and built like a Sherman tank, but gentle as can be with the kids. However, his chief method for teaching the toddlers in the "Tadpole" class was to drop us in the water and hold a pole just out of reach, and enthusiastically shout "Swim for the pole!" It didn't take me long to learn how to swim. ;D
Last edited by Interloper on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:25 pm

Lol! Nice story!

Yeah, Dmitri, that's what I tell myself too ;)
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:45 pm

YOU GO, LITTLE BABY! WOOHOO!

Those are some neat survival skillz. I'm going to drown-proof my kid if I ever have one.
Ian

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:39 am

you should do this teo.
It could only be a good thing.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:32 am

Interloper wrote:My teacher at the "Y" was a former Marine with a buzz cut and built like a Sherman tank, but gentle as can be with the kids. However, his chief method for teaching the toddlers in the "Tadpole" class was to drop us in the water and hold a pole just out of reach, and enthusiastically shout "Swim for the pole!" It didn't take me long to learn how to swim. ;D

Marines can be well-meaning and dangerous at the same time, which means their training is working as planned. ;D
Michael

Return to Off the Topic