Toronto

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Toronto

Postby kenneth fish on Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:14 pm

I spent the past weekend in Toronto with my eldest daughter, Naomi...we had a great time (although I forced her to walk more than she is used to). I went to graduate school here in 1995, and have been back every couple of years since (most of my Canada trips of the past few years have been to Montreal ). I came away with the following impressions:

Tim Horton's has gone to hell. They no longer serve buttter tarts, the coffee is made by programmed machines and is frankly lousy.

Why is it so damn hard to find whole milk in Canadian coffee places?

Fomerly public spaces (for example, the waterfront) have been sold to and developed by private interests, removing them from public access. This sucks, and is an example of money driving public policy.

The middle class and blue collar neighborhoods and establishments I knew are gone, replaced by a yuppified gentry and its haunts. Not a good thing, in my opinion.

Ontario in general seems to have become a well-to-do suburb of Mumbai.

Drivers have become both more aggressive and less skilled.

Toronto is allegedly a world class city. Why do all the damn shops close so damn early?

Why have all the small, one-off, quirky and loveable shops vanished, replaced by American chain stores?

Who makes the damn parking regulations? The guys who sell parking meters?
Last edited by kenneth fish on Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Re: Toronto

Postby Kevin_Wallbridge on Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:15 pm

Welcome to how the rest of Canada has always felt about T.O.
拳中龙象本能之学
Kevin_Wallbridge
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:47 am

I love Toronto! Lots of family there (they found the UK too Uk'ish and 'ghettoized as packed sardines in a can!) and it is closer to this hemisphere. Gots some family in one of the Mumbai suburbs.
I haven't there for 10 years and I hear the Lakefront has 'modernized' and a great example of privatization at its best. More place for people to spend money ???
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby David Boxen on Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:48 am

The lakeshore is great if you enjoy staring at condos :'(

It is no surprise what is happening to the makeup of the city considering the residential and commercial real estate prices. The small shops just can't afford the rent anymore. It was a sad day when my local favorite sushi restaurant, run only by a lovely Japanese husband and wife, closed its doors.

One of the worst things for the parking is the fire hydrants that are far up on people's lawns in some areas. These can be hidden behind plants, and are cash cows for the city. I am always suspicious when there is a spot free that seems too good to be true.
We are not stuff that abides, but patterns that perpetuate themselves. - Norbert Wiener
David Boxen
Huajing

Postby chud on Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:48 am

I'm picturing Dr. Fish yelling at Toronto, "Get off my lawn!" ;D
chud
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:55 pm

Moved there from London in 65, it was a very suburban city then. If you were in a bar you sat at a table and drank, carrying a drink around would get you 86ed. Dreary place, I understand it became a bit more hip in the 90's, always found Montreal to be more interesting. Moved on to Detroit, which was a ghetto, even in 66, the other end of the spectrum, got out in 67, just before the riots, moved to NYC,
KEND
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:52 pm

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:54 pm

FWIW I have become more fond of Montreal and Quebec -more so as my French improves, and I am able to appreciate the eccentric nature of the cities.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:37 am

'Do I feel lucky, Well do you punk 'Clint has a way with words,
KEND
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:45 pm

I live one and a half hrs from toronto and like to keep it at a distance.
Took my girlfriend to visit TO during her visit here from Henan - she said Toronto was worse than Shanghai.
I don't know if I would go that far, but anyway....
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic