What do you do when/if the global economy collapses?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: What do you do when/if the global economy collapses?

Postby emptycloud on Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:41 am

The big crash that will hit us hardest is the depletion of healthy soil. We are simply killing the very stuff that gives life. Soil needs to be nurtured and cared for in ways modern agriculture has abandoned. We know how to build soil fertility organically so that there is an abundance of stuff but the business models contradict the multinational companies.

One day we will arrive at a place of dead soil, nothing left but a toxic wasteland where only super GM crops will thrive.

The other major collapse we face is from the car, the air quality is in most cities is killing you and your children. It is the cause of many cancers,respiratory problems and heart disease.

If you do one thing in your life to help yourself and your kids live in a future worth living, ditch the car.

have fun

Rich
emptycloud

Postby Dmitri on Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:09 am

Andy_S wrote:...one thing he said always stayed with me:
"Good times are never as great as they seem, and crises are never as bad."

Tao Te Ching, paraphrased...

But, it's so much more fun to pretend that's not true!
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Dajenarit on Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:10 pm

This discussion is not really interesting unless you're talking extreme worst case scenario situations. I'm don't really think you can fully predict what will happen. You can look at indicators and take an educated guess but other than that, you'd just be causing yourself undo stress and paranoia worrying about it too much. Everyone should be making basic preparations just in case but we all know that. I'm not really interested in a milquetoast everything is going to be alright in the end kind of discussion. I understand the doom and gloom scammers and conspiracy theorist are playing off peoples fears for profit or followers. The intention of this thread is to talk about when the shit does hit the fan and everything that can possibly go wrong will and has. You're essentially stuck in a place like NYC for example when the entire global economic system collapses and society follows suit and breaks into anarchy because no one prepared for the possibility. What are your short term survival plans for you and your family before order is restored. Food supplies are gone in a week. Water and electricity in scarce supply. War possibly breaking out or being the catalyst, or maybe not since it seems more profitable than not. Maybe you're aware of some scenarios I didn't mention. I would like that to be added to the discussion if possible. I'm interested in for example what would be the plans if hyperinflation does hit and the government doesn't have the time, will or resources to help you. I'm assuming the world will carry on pretty much as usual in the long term when/if the dollar collapses, but again I'm seeking worse case scenario plans of action. What emptycloud mentioned is the kind of thing I would like to pick brains about. I think community preparation will be key. Thanks for all the replies though.
Dajenarit
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:23 pm

Well, imo, if we're talking about a temporary loss of services and not the end of the world, then I think that preparing for fire or flood is quite sufficient. But, that also means assuming help from agencies like the Red Cross and the existence of public/available hospital services. I.e., what would you do if you had to leave your house in the next hour?

Otoh, speculating about what one should do if there are no hospitals, atms, computers, currency and basic services is worthwhile, if one has that hour thing covered.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby emptycloud on Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:30 pm

the way out of the global economy collapse is obviously difficult, but simple. Difficult because each one of us confronts contradiction within when forced to look at our own participation regarding the path of violence our world has taken towards others and the planet itself.

A man kisses his wife and children goodbye in the morning, he thinks he loves them deeply, and then jumps into his car and begins pumping the most noxious of gasses into the shared habitat. It difficult for us to confront this kind of behaviour which plays itself out in so many ways via our consuming and productive imperatives, apparent imperatives.

Humankind live in paradise, we now have the capability to clothe, house and feed each human many times over. We have the capability to reverse and heal any environmental damage done to our land, seas and atmosphere in no time at all. The problem it appears is that we dislike ourselves and we care little for each other and even less about the very thing that gives us life, the planet.

The problem is that we are afraid to be honest with ourselves. First up, is that we must come out of denial and say it - " I really don't give a fuck about anything, I don't even know what I really want from life or what is even good for me, my family, my community, the planet, thus I will just switch off and do the kind of things everyone else is doing, I will become a version and I will declare this version to be pretty unique, this is what I will defend"

Their is such tremendous contradiction within us that we become crazy with guilt. You cannot put noxious gasses into your kids habitat and love them simultaneously. These contradiction are troublesome, often unconsciously so.

Once we touch the contradictions within us we can at least begin the process of conscious decision making. I do love my kids thus I have to find away to reduce my car driving to an absolute essential and almost emergency like minimum. I do love my planet, my community, my partner, friends thus I have to live in alignment with that love. This sort of inquiry can make us unpopular and can be disruptive as it "may" buckle at times the narrative of - get a good job, maybe a house in the suburbs, that precious two weeks vacation in the summer, and the all important car, the agent of destruction. ( can you tell I really dislike cars ).

So we can avoid social catastrophe but only when we are each in alignment with a self which is free from contradiction within. This ain't going to happen anytime soon, so I guess at some point the planet will have to simply sluice us off in order to heal itself.

It appears that humankind is insane and the acceptance of that allows for a modicum of inner peace.

Burn cars not fossil fuels.

peace -

Rich ( off to plant garlic)
Last edited by emptycloud on Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 6 times in total.
emptycloud

Postby Dajenarit on Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:35 am

Thanks for that 'cloud.

I don't think we seriously have learned the lessons of Katrina or Sandy. This was just certain parts of the New York and Jersey and couple other places. Not even the entire city or the entire east coart and it took months for the government to get a proper response together. Alot of that they just solved by throwing money at people. Thankfully people in the community looked out for each other with the limited resources that aid volunteers were able to muster together. I can't imagine if the entire city or large sections of the country goes off grid in a disaster. If its the entire country I don't see people volunteering to fly or drive thousands of miles away to help strangers in the same boat as they are. It was frankly miserable for those weeks without electricity, clean water and heat. We're actually just getting permanent proper boilers to replace the shoddy "temps" we were using for the last couple years. The cleanup and repairs took months if at all. Some people still have leaks and water damage and therefore mold stemming from that situation. I mean people assume the government (a) really cares and (b) is competent enough to handle a major crisis. I wouldn't even consider Sandy that major relative to some other disasters. If another hurricane hit NYC we're fucked though. We had no plans put in place to mitigate the problem. We're back to complacency again. How many years since Katrina though, and New Orleans still isn't quite right. Exponentially increase the usual government response to just those 2 crises but imagine its the entire country or a large section of the world and isn't limited to a "manageable" piece of geography. Services that we take for granted would be down for months or years if they ever did return in full force.
Dajenarit
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:21 am

What are you going to do when anarchy breaks out? Go into deep dark survival mode I guess and do whatever shit you have to. Family to feed and protect, shit to steal, people to kill. check x 3. Get the weapons out, form a band of merry men (and women) and start the party!!
Last edited by cloudz on Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:31 am, edited 6 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:40 am

Last edited by Dmitri on Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Dajenarit on Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:04 pm

I get it, I get it.,... Paranoid tinfoil hat nutters. Yadda, yadda.

Of course no one panics until its too late. Thats not even what I'm suggesting for people to do. I'm not suggesting you go dig a bunker and stockpile 2 years worth of food. But If people can't even have a dialogue about worst case scenarios even if they don't personally believe that its going to happen....Those are frankly the people I'm worried about being around if shit does go down. Desperate, unprepared people are the ones that will create those road warrior like situations scrounging for resources or help that isn't coming. The same ones that brushed aside even discussing possibly preparing for something they couldn't fathom happening cuz in the backs of their minds they're thinking "at the end of the day the government is going to handle it or have a solution" or "other people get paid to deal with my survival" which is basically what most people are saying. Thats the farthest thing from the truth in my personal experience and having dealt with and spoken to people from other countries that went through far worse. Everything was calm and stable until hours or minutes later when it really wasn't. Every person of course isn't affected in an area or country but that's small solace if its your family in the eye of the storm so to speak.
Dajenarit
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:06 am

he who worries suffers twice?
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:57 am

Loot duty free shops for single malt. All of it.

Man with a plan.
Ian

Postby Dajenarit on Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:25 pm

Ian wrote:Loot duty free shops for single malt. All of it.

Man with a plan.

;D
Dajenarit
Wuji

Previous

Return to Off the Topic