outbreak

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: outbreak

Postby Bao on Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:41 pm

@WW: My post wasn't addressed particularly to americans, even if pic says "USA". But it's funny how some people react around the world, whom and for what reason. People tend to leave out "thinking". :P

@chud: Touché :)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:41 am

At the end of the day, fear doesn't prevent death, it only prevents life! :/
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:09 am

"I was floored," she said in the interview. "I was afraid for myself and my family because I did everything that I was instructed to do every time and I felt like if Nina can get it, any one of us could have gotten it."

http://news.yahoo.com/dallas-nurse-caug ... 26877.html

Its not fear, just misinformation with no clear leadership from those that normally would be the ones to provide it.
we depended on the CDC to provide guidelines, instead we got dont worry about it, it cant happen here. :-\

IMO this would not have changed, if not for an unscripted event that really showed the true condition, and underscored
the lack of preparedness of our "strong health care " system
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:08 pm

instead we got dont worry about it, it cant happen here.

I was trying to wait 21 days. But, impatiently, I have to ask how many Americans have died from ebola? Better yet, since the mode of transmission is so unclear, how many of the people who were put in quarantine (i.e., the ones who lived with Duncan, shared his food, and let's not forget that he came here to get married) but did not come down with the virus?
Afa our health system, in general, it seems like 99% of the people in the U.S. who have caught the virus have survived. So, it doesn't seem like getting it or having it here is a death sentence.

Anyway, I'm back to waiting another 21 days. In NY, there are 300+ people who are being actively monitored. Again, let's see what happens.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:51 pm

Steve James wrote:Anyway, I'm back to waiting another 21 days.

21 + 21 makes 42... Hmmm..... You just might be onto something big there, Steve. Something vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big!
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:46 pm

“From all we have been able to learn, CDC does not have any existing procedures or protocols for management or reintegration of returning healthcare workers who have potentially been exposed to Ebola,” Samaritan’s Purse president Franklin Graham wrote to CDC director Dr. Tom Frieden.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-ill-equipped-t ... 23341.html

why is this not surprising?
actually they do, its called let them fly public airlines back.
notice how this fits into the narrative of the transmission of the virus.
I mean if one has only been "potentially exposed but shows no symptoms, and does not self quarantine
it should be ok,,,,right? :-\

The State Department’s public affairs office declined to comment on why the Aug. 18 contract painted the CDC and other agencies as unprepared for Ebola evacuations.

Nor did it explain this line in the contract: “Several American citizens have already been infected. Several have died, unable to be evacuated.”

But there have been no reports of U.S. residents dying while awaiting rescue in West Africa.

Patrick Sawyer, a lawyer with dual citizenship in Liberia and the U.S., was living in Africa when he died from Ebola on July 24 at a Nigerian hospital. He was not a part of a rescue attempt.

Yahoo News asked Dr. William Walters — one of five State Department officials who signed-off on the contract — which other Americans might have died while needing evacuation.

“Well, you remember Dr. Brantly and Mrs. Writebol, right?” said Dr. Walters, who heads the agency’s Office of Operational Medicine. “I don’t remember the names and the exact numbers, but if it was in there, then we must have felt it to be correct at the time.”

Asked to clarify his response, Dr. Walters referred all questions to the agency's public relations department.

and now for the rest of the story

According to the State Department, the cost of the medical flights from West Africa to the United States has averaged about $215,000 a trip. Non-U.S. government rescues must be paid by the patient or their sponsoring organization. A private citizen can arrange an Ebola evacuation through American Citizens Services, a State Department office that helps U.S. citizens traveling abroad.

Despite the global plea for all hands on deck, Canada said that given the problem of evacuating its doctors and nurses, it has decided not to send them to West Africa.

“We do have an arrangement with the United States, but even their medical evacuation is limited,” Canada’s Health Minister, Rona Ambrose, said last month.

wow 215k to get evacuated

Despite the global plea for all hands on deck, Canada said that given the problem of evacuating its doctors and nurses, it has decided not to send them to West Africa.

guess the price tag was a bit much....

in the end it was about the money :-\

if its so hard to contract it, why all the concern for
the isolation unites, and decontamination procedures
must be the hyp, and a way to make money.
money is good ;)
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:17 am

Salia, who chose to work in his homeland despite more lucrative opportunities elsewhere, was first tested for Ebola on Nov. 7, but the test was negative, and he was discharged from a treatment center in Sierre Leone.

It's not unusual to see false negative tests for Ebola in the early stages because the amount of the virus in the bloodstream is still low, said Dr. Phil Smith, the infectious-disease expert who leads the Nebraska Medical Center's biocontainment unit.

The U.S. government warns doctors to be wary of possible false negative tests for Ebola.

Raw: Ebola Patient Lands in US for TreatmentPlay videoRaw: Ebola Patient Lands in US for Treatment
Salia tested positive for the disease on Nov. 10 but did not arrive at an Omaha hospital until Saturday.

http://news.yahoo.com/nebraska-hospital ... 17996.html

"False negative tests for Ebola"
the doctor passed away because according to the article he didnt receive his treatment in time.
Didnt understand that he had it, until it was to late.

may he rest in peace.

Man who died from Ebola endured treatment delays

the headline of the article.
How does one "endure a treatment delay" when there is nothing to treat
He tested negative ?.

One would have thought being a doctor, and considering his work they or he, would have been pro-active
in treating or him seeking it.

As it was when it was found he had it, he was treated but apparently to late.

very similar to the fist patitent to die from it in the US.

Duncan had arrived in the U.S. via Brussels on Sept. 20. He did not exhibit signs of Ebola until several days later, but was initially sent home from the Dallas hospital with antibiotics when he first went there on Sept. 25.

Nearly 3,900 people have died from the disease in West Africa, including more than 2,200 in Liberia, according to the World Health Organization. The total number of cases stands at just over 8,000.

New Screening Measures:
In Washington, meanwhile, the White House said new measures will go into place at five U.S. airports that receive over 94 percent of travelers from the worst-hit nations of Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone. White House spokesman Josh Earnest said U.S. border guards will begin taking the temperatures of travelers specifically from those three nations.

http://www.voanews.com/content/second-u ... 76380.html
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:51 am

“The world waited far too long to respond. While our leaders waited, many people paid with their lives."

http://news.yahoo.com/one-ebola-psa-wes ... 18185.html

One might ask what was done with all the aid that was/is sent
before Ebola came about ?
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby emptycloud on Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:20 am

How's Project Ebola doing...?
Last edited by emptycloud on Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
emptycloud

Postby windwalker on Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:30 pm

good,
elections over no need for it anymore.

When Ron Klain leaves his post as the White House's "Ebola response coordinator," or czar, sometime early next year, don't expect a big send-off from President Obama, much less a declaration of mission accomplished. In all likelihood, the disease will still be raging in parts of West Africa, and the U.S. will still have a sizable military presence there to combat it. The CDC will still be warning of the possibility of isolated cases on domestic soil, and the Department of Homeland Security probably won't have lifted the heightened security and travel restrictions it put in place in the fall.

http://news.yahoo.com/quiet-exit-forgot ... 11467.html
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:41 am

Thirty-six states are now experiencing high levels of flu activity, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, as this year’s flu vaccine may not fully protect against a strain known as influenza A H3N2 that is currently circulating and tends to be more severe.

Fifteen children age 18 and under have died from the flu as of Dec. 20, compared with four such deaths around the same time last year, according to the CDC. A number of hospitals are outpacing previous years, with some restricting visitors to prevent the spread of the virus.

No worries? No elections?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:06 pm

So, elections are coming; but, surprise, an outbreak of Legionnaire's Disease has killed 10 people (more than ebola) and the CDC is just getting involved. Maybe it's because the outbreak is in the South Bronx. Actually, I live in the geographical center of the outbreak. All the sources are within three blocks. Ironically, one of the sources is the hospital.
NYC Legionnaires' outbreak up to 10 dead, 100 diagnosed

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/08/0 ... diagnosed/
Steve James
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic