NOBEL PEACE PRIZE

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

NOBEL PEACE PRIZE

Postby KEND on Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:34 am

It’s a relief to see the Nobel Peace prize actually going to someone who deserved it. She won out against Snowden [political hot potato ] and Putin [?]
Mahatma Gandhi, Eleanor Roosevelt, U Thant, Václav Havel DIDN’T get one
Henry Kissinger, Barack Obama DID

Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani teenage education campaigner shot on school bus in 2012 by a Taliban gunman, has won the 2014 Nobel peace prize.
Malala won along with Kailash Satyarthi, an Indian children’s rights activist.
Malala, now 17, was shot in the head by a Taliban gunman two years ago in Pakistan after coming to prominence for her campaigning for education for girls.
She won for what the Nobel committee called her “heroic struggle” for girls’ right to an education. She is the youngest ever winner of the prize.
After being shot she was airlifted to Queen Elizabeth hospital in Birmingham, where she was treated for life-threatening injuries.
She has since continued to campaign for girls’ education, speaking before the UN, meeting Barack Obama, being named one of Time magazine’s 100 most influential people and last year publishing the memoir I am Malala.
Last month a gang of 10 Taliban fighters who tried to kill her were arrested, the Pakistan army claimed.
In a statement, the Nobel committee said: “Despite her youth, Malala Yousafzai has already fought for several years for the right of girls to education, and has shown by example that children and young people, too, can contribute to improving their own situations.
“This she has done under the most dangerous circumstances. Through her heroic struggle she has become a leading spokesperson for girls’ rights to education.”
KEND
Great Old One

Re: NOBEL PEACE PRIZE

Postby leifeng on Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:07 am

I think the powers that be have long-term plans for her.
leifeng
Huajing

Postby Michael on Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:22 am

leifeng wrote:I think the powers that be have long-term plans for her.

Please to be elaborating?
Michael

Postby leifeng on Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:53 am

It's just a guess but those people who could get you to high places don't invest on something that won't bring back profit. Let's come back here in 10 years and see the results.
leifeng
Huajing

Postby Steve James on Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:20 am

Who should have won?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby leifeng on Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:43 am

Putin?
leifeng
Huajing

Postby Michael on Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:12 am

I think Putin and Lavrov used politics and diplomacy to avert an escalation of war in Syria that could have led to a wider conflict in the Middle East, namely by immediately seizing an opportunity created by the buffoon John Kerry and seeing the destruction of Syria's chemical weapons as a negotiating point and then forcing the issue in press conferences. They get my vote.
Michael

Postby Interloper on Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:11 pm

Please note that Malala Yousafzai shared the prize with another truly deserving person, Kailash Satyarthi, a Hindu Indian who has devoted decades to fighting child exploitation. It was the perfect pairing.

Malala is getting much more press, perhaps because she is so young, makes a great role model for girls (not to mention her photogenic and telegenic appeal), and her personal sacrifice for her cause was so great for someone so young. But, Mr. Satyarthi should not get lost in the media adulation of his co-prizewinner. Scanning the media coverage online, I have seen mostly articles that go on and on about Malala, scarcely mentioning Satyarthi although his name is included in the headline. ::)

Even in the New York Times, Malala gets twice the coverage as Satyarthi...
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/11/world ... .html?_r=0
Last edited by Interloper on Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:30 pm

Michael wrote:
leifeng wrote:I think the powers that be have long-term plans for her.

Please to be elaborating?

Leifeng has a great point!
She is a noble human being but sadly she has become a propaganda tool. We already know that if she were in a "Muslim" country that she would be dead because of her speaking out and many similar women of university education who speak out have been martyred because they did address the shortcomings of their respective cultures. Only the wife of Assad has that luxury when surrounded by a phalanx of
militay, the state actors and remain hidden from sight ???
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Michael on Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:56 pm

@ Leifeng and yeniseri, okay it finally clicked and I get what you're saying. Dead martyrs are even more useful than dead popstars, as Elvis' record sales shot up after his death when he was no longer around to interfere with the desired image for proper marketing...similar to China's Leifeng, the only state-approved nice person in the mainland since 1949, lol.
Michael

Postby Andy_S on Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:41 pm

SNIP
I think Putin and Lavrov used politics and diplomacy to avert an escalation of war in Syria that could have led to a wider conflict in the Middle East, namely by immediately seizing an opportunity created by the buffoon John Kerry and seeing the destruction of Syria's chemical weapons as a negotiating point and then forcing the issue in press conferences. They get my vote.
SNIP

Michael! Why you joker, you!

Seriously, which utter dolt recommended Putin for a "peace" prize? The head of the FSB (presumably, as a joke)?

I can grudgingly see why Kissinger got one (though things un-ravelled soon after) and Obama's prize was a ridiculous piece of Euroknacker wishful thinking, but Putin...?

(BTW: Er...we are talking Vladimir Putin, Russian President, right? If there is another Putin who - for example - rescues fallen women from Moscow knocking shops, teaches anti-violence meditation techniques to the Russian mob, decommissions anti-aircraft missiles handed out to Russian separatists in Ukraine or conducts similarly laudable projects, then I withdraw my above comments.)
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:44 am

This time I think they hit pretty much the mark. But many times, there are compromises resultating in ridiculous wins.... How could Al Gore win? And how when there were much better candidates?

Last edited by Bao on Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:17 am

LOL @ Andy! Yeah man, Putin and Lavrov stopped the humanitarian bombing of Syria when idiot John Kerry stuck his foot in his mouth about the chemical weapons. Lavrov jumped on it immediately and used politics to get the USA to back off. Soon after, the Aug. 21, 2013 Ghouta incident was shown to be another fake like yellowcake uranium, anthrax, WMD's, etc., so I'm voting for Lavrov.
Michael

Postby Peacedog on Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:20 pm

Not a terrible fan of Malala getting the award.

Getting shot in the head doesn't count as accomplishing anything noteworthy in my book. Getting shot in the head and then running away to a foreign country says something and it may be something newsworthy depending upon the circumstances, but again is not worthy of an award let alone the Nobel Peace Prize. If anything, running away just encouraged the people who shot her to keep doing it. And I've been told this is why she is unpopular in Pakistan. For the running away part.

Granted, the prize has always been political, however I view this as a further dumbing down of the process.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby aamc on Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:18 pm

FWIW, getting shot as a 15 year old on a bus going to school. Is not why she got the prize. If anything its made her fearless.

Its about campaigning for girls’ education. A campaign which according to wikipedia resulted in the first Right to Education Bill in Pakistan. If anything the ambivalence and the contempt she has riled in Pakistan, for me gives more evidence as to what she is working against. But hey, I'm one of those western imperialist that thinks anyone should be able to go too school, if they want too.
aamc
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic