Kombucha tea, anyone?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Kombucha tea, anyone?

Postby D_Glenn on Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:09 pm

Kombucha tea is a fermented green tea. I've tried it before but not really impressed with the claims but just the other day I saw that it has Glucuronic Acid which assists the liver in glucuronidation which is one of the key processes that the liver uses in Phase II detoxification.

There's also the Hyaluronic acid, and many other beneficial ingredients. It be interesting to see if the bacteria in it can actually re-colonize the intestine, or if it's more a scam, like the probiotics in yogurt, but I'm definitely going to be hopping on the Kombucha bandwagon just because of it's other ingredients.

Anyone else tried it? and likes it?

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Re: Kombucha tea, anyone?

Postby windwalker on Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:16 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha

The kombucha culture is a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast (SCOBY), comprising Acetobacter (a genus of acetic acid bacteria) and one or more yeasts. These form a zoogleal mat. In Chinese, this microbial culture is called haomo in Cantonese, or jiaomu in Mandarin, (Chinese: 酵母; literally: "fermentation mother"). It is also known as Manchurian Mushroom.

A kombucha culture may contain one or more of the yeasts Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Brettanomyces bruxellensis, Candida stellata, Schizosaccharomyces pombe, Torulaspora delbrueckii, and Zygosaccharomyces bailii. Alcohol production by the yeast(s) contributes to the production of acetic acid by the bacteria.[citation needed]

had a friend that used to grow the fungus that makes the tea, not to bad drinking it.
he tried making a business out of it, problem was that once
a person had some they could make/grow their own.. ;)

imo good stuff,,, ;)
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:29 pm

That's the only thing I found that was bad about it is the homegrown stuff can be toxic, due to the mushrooms they use to ferment.

Apparently it's not as cut and dry as something like making your own Kefir.

So I'd be weary of that. In the USA there's several companies who are bottling it, it's pricey, but better than having a bad batch and not knowing it.

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:03 pm

Tastes like cat's piss to me.

Therefore I don't drink it. :-*
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:06 pm

I've heard this homegrown toxic claim before. How substantiated is that? Is the toxicity at a higher rate than what we find for e coli outbreaks in other products through commercial channels? Just curious.

I brew kombucha at home. It's not a big deal. I have not poisoned myself. Yet...

The hardest part of home brewing is just remembering to keep feeding it and maintaining it. I went through a phase of drinking a lot, now not so much, which means I have been neglecting it. At this point, it is most likely compost bound. Hopefully the dog doesn't eat it.

Buying it in a store is expensive but easier. Especially if you are just seeing whether you can make a habit of drinking it.

-pete
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:58 pm

In Sacramento a dozen places or more have it on tap and there is a kombucha truck (more like a mobile bar) that comes to events featuring food trucks.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby kenneth fish on Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:06 pm

Kombucha tea is listed by the CDC as possibly unsafe for most adults when taken by mouth. It can cause side effects including stomach problems, yeast infections, allergic reactions, yellow skin (jaundice), nausea, vomiting, head and neck pain, and death.

Kombucha tea, especially batches made at home where it’s hard to maintain a germ-free environment, can become contaminated with fungus (Aspergillus) and bacteria (including anthrax). In Iran, 20 people got anthrax infections from taking kombucha tea. This tea is listed as likely unsafe in people with weakened immune systems, such as people with HIV/AIDS and cancer patients, who are more likely to get infections.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:17 pm

The acidity and mild alcoholic element of kombucha resists contamination by most airborne molds or bacterial spores. It was shown that Kombucha inhibits growth of harmful microorganisms such as E. coli, Sal. enteritidis, Sal. typhimurium, and Sh. Sonnei.[3] As a result, kombucha is relatively easy to maintain as a culture outside of sterile conditions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha

guess someone needs to update the wikipdia.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Alexatron on Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:32 pm

*UGH!* My daughter was into growing this for a spell. She had jars and jars of the foul smelling evil looking revolting tasting crap all around our house (I'm not a great fan in case you haven't picked that up yet). Anyway she sort of moves out but leaves most of her stuff at home with us in her room. I have no reason to go in there until a few months later she rings me asking if I could have a look in her wardrobe for some garment or other. It was like a scene out of some sort of horror or scifi movie. Half a dozen large jars of damm Kombucha filth that had been quietly breeding away in the dark. There was virtually no fluid, just layers and layers of the slimy cultures. I wore all the safety gear I could rustle up before gingerly taking them outside and burying them in a shallow unmarked grave at the end of the garden. I still feel uneasy knowing that those jars are down there creating god knows what diseases and that when the zombie apocalypse is over they'll trace ground zero to my garden. As an aside she stopped growing it after reading some articles about people getting sick on it.
A boast is a gift to the enemy
- Chiun, Master of Sinanju
Alexatron
Anjing

Postby fuga on Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:00 pm

Alexatron wrote:I wore all the safety gear I could rustle up before gingerly taking them outside and burying them in a shallow unmarked grave at the end of the garden. I still feel uneasy knowing that those jars are down there creating god knows what diseases and that when the zombie apocalypse is over they'll trace ground zero to my garden.

Are you sure they're still buried? :o
fuga
Great Old One

Postby emptycloud on Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:59 pm

Used to brew it years ago living in hippy commune. We perfected it. Tasted like a honey champagne. What I recall is everyone buzzing on the stuff, healthy, no side effects, up-lifting.

It takes a while to get the flavour and the fizz. Its a pretty freaky thing especially when it begins to reproduce another one underneath itself. If I had the room and time I would certainly get a culture up and running again.

Rich
emptycloud

Postby Alexatron on Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:55 am

fuga wrote:
Alexatron wrote:I wore all the safety gear I could rustle up before gingerly taking them outside and burying them in a shallow unmarked grave at the end of the garden. I still feel uneasy knowing that those jars are down there creating god knows what diseases and that when the zombie apocalypse is over they'll trace ground zero to my garden.

Are you sure they're still buried? :o

Oh thanks for that - now I'll be having nightmares about the stuff. I might mix up a batch of napalm on the weekend, exhume the damm things and torch them. Then perhaps I will find peace.
A boast is a gift to the enemy
- Chiun, Master of Sinanju
Alexatron
Anjing

Postby Dmitri on Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:00 am

Lots of people "brewed" it where/when I was growing up. Never heard of any health hazards, but that may be due to lack of good (or any, for that matter) research and diagnosis. Made myself try it once, wasn't anything spectacular... Couldn't bring myself to drinking it because it just looks like something one should NOT be consuming... :o :-X :)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:47 am

It's delicious when you get it right!
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:25 am

Peacedog wrote:Tastes like cat's piss to me.

Therefore I don't drink it. :-*

Wow! You've actually drank cat piss? I've often wondered what happened to you! That explains a lot! LOL ;D ;)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic