Any growers here?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Any growers here?

Postby grzegorz on Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:29 pm

I haven't been on the board much lately mostly because I'm finding better uses for my time such as growing fruit and veggies.

I'm growing several varieties of cherries, avocados, citrus, blueberries, seeded fruit, pomegranates and veggies.

Anyone else have the bug for growing?

I'm really excited about the avocados because although California is famous for its avocados it's hard to find anything other than the commercially grown varieties.

Although the cherries will probably the tastiest since that is what my town famous for the avocado seems to be a gift from the gods in terms of all the health benefits these fruit offer.
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Re: Any growers here?

Postby Ian on Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:44 pm

grzegorz wrote:I haven't been on the board much lately mostly because I'm finding better uses for my time such as growing fruit and veggies.

Thumbs up x 1,000 ;D
Ian

Postby Teazer on Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:49 pm

Radishes - grown specifically for the pods rather than the root, rhubarb, arugula, potatoes, mustard greens, turnips, garlic, peppers, lettuce, and giant kale. I managed to coax one artichoke into existence but it was tiny!
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:50 pm

@ g,

Growers?
nice one :)
windwalker
Wuji

Postby P. Li on Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:01 pm

I have a little backyard aquaponics system just to try it out. Good luck!
P. Li
Mingjing

Postby grzegorz on Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:03 pm

windwalker wrote:@ g,

Growers?
nice one :)

LOL!

Well until the law changes I'd rather not have anyone kicking down my doors so I keep everything legal.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:07 pm

Teazer wrote:Radishes - grown specifically for the pods rather than the root, rhubarb, arugula, potatoes, mustard greens, turnips, garlic, peppers, lettuce, and giant kale. I managed to coax one artichoke into existence but it was tiny!

Cool! I never considered growing potatoes.

That would be cool.

Veggie gardens are very rewarding. I'm slowly figuring out what works best for my space.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:08 pm

Ian wrote:
grzegorz wrote:I haven't been on the board much lately mostly because I'm finding better uses for my time such as growing fruit and veggies.

Thumbs up x 1,000 ;D

I haven't gone of Facebook either and to my surprise I don't miss it. In fact I'm considering closing my account but I hear it takes a long time.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:17 pm

P. Li wrote:I have a little backyard aquaponics system just to try it out. Good luck!
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/wbringatch?v=0-MJRB18T_o[/youtube]

That's deep! Thanks for sharing. I've eaten lettuce produced that way but I didn't understand the process.

YouTube is a valuable source for gardening. I watch a lot gardening videos on there and I'm surprised how much prepers/survivalist are the getting gardening. Their theory is that fruit will be more valuable than gold once the world bank collapses.
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Ian on Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:16 am

grzegorz wrote:
Ian wrote:

Thumbs up x 1,000 ;D

I haven't gone of Facebook either and to my surprise I don't miss it. In fact I'm considering closing my account but I hear it takes a long time.

I think you just select deactivate, but then don't touch it for 14 days, otherwise it'll automatically reactivate.

Good luck going off the grid!
Ian

Postby RobB on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:43 am

Had an allotment* for a few years but it was huge and I never really got it under control. Gave it up last year as I was just doing it badly, couldn't see that I would find the time to do it well, and wasn't a great allotment neighbour as my plot was getting pretty seedy.

I keep bees now - less time - more honey!

Cheers

Rob

[* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allotment_(gardening)]
RobB
Mingjing

Postby GrahamB on Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:07 am

Ashe is a grower.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:46 am

RobB wrote:Had an allotment* for a few years but it was huge and I never really got it under control. Gave it up last year as I was just doing it badly, couldn't see that I would find the time to do it well, and wasn't a great allotment neighbour as my plot was getting pretty seedy.

I keep bees now - less time - more honey!

Cheers

Rob

[* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allotment_(gardening)]

Right on Rob!

Bees benefit everybody.

We all need more bees.
Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby emptycloud on Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:11 am

I'm growing several varieties of cherries, avocados, citrus, blueberries, seeded fruit, pomegranates and veggies.

Anyone else have the bug for growing?

I'm really excited about the avocados because although California is famous for its avocados it's hard to find anything other than the commercially grown varieties.

Although the cherries will probably the tastiest since that is what my town famous for the avocado seems to be a gift from the gods in terms of all the health benefits these fruit offer.

Growing food is what I do everyday here in Scotland. No avocados unfortunately. I particularly like growing soil via composting, wormeries and mulching.

Our long term plan is to create a Decentralised Autonomous Community (DAC) on a decommissioned golf course.

We are also working towards building a community garden network through the city run by a community garden workers collective. We aim to massively reduce the price of organic food and ramp up the availability directly from the network of growers. We grow anywhere we can get a patch of land, a patchwork urban farm.

power to your elbow Grzegorz.

Rich
Last edited by emptycloud on Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
emptycloud

Postby grzegorz on Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:35 pm

Right on! I believe it is possible. I went to Berekeley Bowl this weekend, which is an organic store they have out here (unfortunately only in Berekeley) that is basically a Whole Foods for everybody. They have a selection of organic fruit but all at affordable prices, unlike Whole Foods. I don't know how they do it but they do.

On the flipside growing avocados when the trees are small is a bit like taking up a martial art. Everything has to be perfect and demands a lot of time for these trees to be happy or they just die. I already lost one West Indian avocado tree and I have two more trees that don't seem too happy. If I had known all that was involved I might have reconsidered and went for another exotic fruit like loquats. No regrets but I didn't realize what I was getting into.

Speaking of Scotland. This video blows my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOJ9vBdHZGM
Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic