Obamacans: Republicans for Obama

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Obamacans: Republicans for Obama

Postby bigphatwong on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:09 pm

No, as I said in the beginning of my post, it's his blanket amnesty plan that might cost him my vote depending on whether or not it is true.
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:14 pm

somehow american democracy has taken the form of a dictatorship of the majority.

thanks George W!
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby TaoJoannes on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:15 pm

I don't know where that concern came from, his stated position is as follows:

Bring People Out of the Shadows

Obama and Biden support a system that allows undocumented immigrants who are in good standing to pay a fine, learn English, and go to the back of the line for the opportunity to become citizens.

“The time to fix our broken immigration system is now… We need stronger enforcement on the border and at the workplace… But for reform to work, we also must respond to what pulls people to America… Where we can reunite families, we should. Where we can bring in more foreign-born workers with the skills our economy needs, we should”

— Barack Obama, Statement on U.S. Senate Floor, May 23, 2007
oh qué una tela enredada que tejemos cuando primero practicamos para engañar
TaoJoannes
Wuji

Postby nianfong on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:36 pm

Steve James wrote:Real Americans don't drink Kool-Aid :) errr, they drink bottled water.

The only thing the crossovers shows is that, if he wins, Obama would have support from some prominent Republicans, and more than a few average ones. Otoh, McCain's got Joe Lieberman ... so, it's about even.

except that lieberman has become a pariah of the democratic party. not even at all, really.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby C-Hopkins on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:37 pm

bigphatwong wrote:You know, up until 2 hours ago I was planning to vote for Obama myself. I like his healthcare plan, and he seems to have a strategy for ending the war. But this morning I found out he was planning to ignore his oath of office and grant 38 million illegal aliens automatic citizenship, which doesn't sit right by me. Then I come here and (dun dun DUNN!) it's another Obama thread. Day in and day out we have to listen to you blathering on about your idol like some pimply teenager at a Paul McCartney concert. Enough already! Zealots like you are actually hurting your cause by turning off swing voters with your blatant nutriding. You are not "instrumental", you are not "winning hearts and minds", you are nothing to me but a goddamn monkey jumping up and down on a piece of samsonite luggage. It was just as annoying when Dmitri and the Ron Paul cheerleaders were doing it, so knock it off! I have enough sense to make up my own mind. I'm almost hoping that McCain wins just so we can all take a gigantic dump on your face.

It's gotten to the point where I see one more "Obama is t3h M3551AH!!!" thread, and I swear to fucking hell I'm voting for Popeye.
While it is true, Steelincotton is Tossing Obama's salad,(j/k ;D ) would you rather have 4 more years of Republican rule?

Seriously guys, I'm sick of all this too. It's wratcheting up cause it's the end. It's allmost over. Stick to your choices. Forget the noise.
Last edited by C-Hopkins on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C-Hopkins
Huajing

Postby bigphatwong on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:02 pm

TBC...
Last edited by bigphatwong on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:47 pm

CaliG wrote:

greg, that was awesome. :D
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby bigphatwong on Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:21 pm

Uh oh, just got up to speed on Obama's voting record. From an immigration standpoint it is not looking good.

From NumbersUSA:

~Voted on Senate floor in favor of amendment to expand chain migration in 2007

~Voted on Senate floor in favor of amendment to increase chain migration in 2007

~Voted on Senate floor in favor of guestworker-amnesty bill by voting in favor of cloture motion to end debate and bring bill to a vote in 2007

~Voted on Senate floor in favor of amendment to kill border fence in 2006

~Voted in favor of bill to increase immigration and grant amnesty to illegal aliens in 2006

~Voted in favor of motion to invoke cloture on S. 2611 to increase overall immigration numbers and reward illegal aliens with amnesty in 2006

~Voted in favor of sanctuary policies for illegal aliens in 2008

~Voted in favor of rewarding illegal aliens with amnesty in 2007

~Voted on Senate floor in favor of amendment to increase illegal immigration in 2007

~Voted on Senate floor against amendment to bar certain criminals from United States in 2007

As I've said, immigration is the pivotal issue for me in this election and one that the candidates have tried to tap dance around and for too long.

Sorry steel, looks like my electoral vote will be going to Bugs and Daffy this year.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:37 pm

dude, it doesn't matter anyway man. our electoral votes are all going obama anyway. I think we need to redo the electoral college so that our votes actually count in CA.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Steve James on Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:18 pm

nianfong wrote:dude, it doesn't matter anyway man. our electoral votes are all going obama anyway. I think we need to redo the electoral college so that our votes actually count in CA.

Yeah, I'm in favor of using the popular, rather than the electoral vote. But, some people find that too "democratic." Well, people say that when their candidate wins the election, but not the majority of votes.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:22 pm

well technically elections for offices are republican, and not democratic ;)
the referendums and propositions in CA are democratic however :)

even now with a presidential candidate I actually like (obama), I still want to reform the electoral college, so everyone's vote counts. instead of an entire state going to one candidate.

-Fong
nianfong
Administrator

Postby redmund2905 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:11 am

nianfong wrote:well technically elections for offices are republican, and not democratic ;)
the referendums and propositions in CA are democratic however :)

even now with a presidential candidate I actually like (obama), I still want to reform the electoral college, so everyone's vote counts. instead of an entire state going to one candidate.

-Fong

There are good arguments both ways for keeping and eliminating the Electoral College. But one result of getting rid of the EC would be a diminishment of the voice that less populous states have. And this raises the further question of whether there's still any benefit in maintaining states as separate political entities. One observation that I have from the last several presidential elections (both from my personal interactions and reading of news, etc.) is that most Americans seem to want Washington to solve our problems. If that's the case, is there any reason, beyond some historic nostalgia, to maintain 50 separate states? Outside of Texans, who identifies with their state before their country? For example, when identifying themselves people don't normally say "I'm a Minnesotan [or Kentuckian, Coloradan, etc.]" -- they'll most likely say "I'm an American." Their state is merely where they live, not who they are. This was not always the case; for much of our earlier history, one's state was his primary identifier. Have we moved passed the point where states are relevant? Should we just be one nation with a bunch of different congressional and senatorial districts? Simply put, is federalism dead? I hope not, but my voice these days seems to be in the minority, and I'd be curious to hear what others think.

Apologies to the non-Americans on the board for a topic they may find parochial.
Last edited by redmund2905 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
redmund2905
Mingjing

Postby Michael on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:19 am

The purpose of having sovereign states making up the USA was to resist greater and greater centralization of power away from people and this still makes sense to some of us. See the 10th amendment. I wouldn't mind getting rid of the electoral college. Keep it simple: one person, one vote, equal across the country.
Michael

Postby Ian on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:15 am

steelincotton wrote:It's fascinating how many people are inspired and awed by Mr. Obama's words and actions. He really IS change. We have never seen anything like this man in American politics in our lifetimes (perhaps except for JFK/MLK). Talk about working across the aisle, and getting something done in Washington......Even some powerful well known hard core righties are supporting and endorsing Obama. Even they know a good thing when they see one!

also! also! i got barack to sign my boobs OMG hes dreamy im gunna marry him sumday even tho I kno hes already marrid loljk wuteva

check out my site n dun forget to sign my guestbook lol peace ~~~* www.angelfire.com/rock2/lilmissobamavixen94
Ian

Postby qiphlow on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:44 pm

Ian wrote:http://www.angelfire.com/rock2/lilmissobamavixen94

your site appears to be having issues, ian. a quick call to angelfire's customer service dept. should clear that right up.

err-or! er-ror - 404!
Apparently, this page is not compatible with any browsers.
Actually, we couldn't find the page you requested. Please check the URL.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic