taylor swift WTF

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

taylor swift WTF

Postby KEND on Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:23 pm

As a resident of New York for over 40 years I have to say WTF is going on here. taylor swift, a minimally talented pop star with gift for self promotion is carpet bagger who puts bobby and hilary to shame. I guess if you put money in the right places you can buy anything, we knew that was true of congess and the senate and the courts, That a great city has to pander to the puerile shallow tweenie queen is beyond reprehensible, its embarrassing. Please taylor Go and find another kennedy, Rockefeller or maybe a lord.

Some comments from the NYTimes

Taylor Swift has been named a Global Welcome Ambassador for New York City a week after the release of her single “Welcome To New York” — but for many listeners (and viewers of the surrounding publicity campaign), her depiction of the city is neither particularly accurate nor particularly enticing.

“Surprise!” writes Tessa Stuart at The Village Voice. “That wasn’t a single we were all listening to last week — it was a commercial.”

She links the song with a multipronged New York-promotion effort, including Instagram posts starting last week (like this latte) and a series of videos praising various aspects of New York life (one of which also features a latte). She also questions Ms. Swift’s beverage choice: “A latte is not like a slice of pizza, or a bagel, or a pickle back, which is to say it is not a quintessentially, or even an overtly, New York foodstuff.” And she writes:

“Some people might look at all this and say Swift is a marketing genius with an eye for ~ S y N e R g Y ~ …Others (us) will say she’s a cyborg sent to this planet to convince people without ideas to drink Diet Coke, and shop at Target, and move to New York.”

At Gawker, Dayna Evans takes a dim view of the promotion (which, she notes, includes Taylor Swift defining the word “bodega”):

“I’m not sure who comes off worse in this public relations horror: New York City or Taylor Swift. When affordable housing is near impossible to come by and as monolith branded-cool companies push out arts communities and while entitled rich children run through the streets proclaiming ownership over everything and while minority arrests continue for low-level crimes, the least (or most?) likely choice for the promotion of a city with equal problems and triumphs is a whitebread out-of-towner who says, ‘Hey, don’t think about those scary, unjust things! Let’s talk about that night we stayed out late dancing instead!’”

And, she writes: “Her version of a 300-square-mile area, the most densely populated city in America, can be flattened into a good latte in the East Village and delivered via iconic yellow taxi cab a whole 10 blocks without paying tip. If anyone represents a New York not worth actually visiting, it’s the musician behind ‘Welcome to New York,’ a song as welcoming as the cluster of billboards cupping the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel from New Jersey.”

Others have leveled similar criticisms at the song. At The Village Voice, David Colon writes:

“‘Welcome to New York’ celebrates as generic, flat, and lifeless a New York as has ever existed in pop culture. Think about the song, and try to pick out a single detail about the city. You can’t. Replace ‘New York’ in the lyrics with ‘Des Moines,’ with ‘L.A.,’ with ‘Pittsburgh,’ any city you can shoehorn into the beat, and you wouldn’t have to change a single detail. Taylor Swift’s idea of New York is as boring as any rich, sheltered person’s idea about it, but the difference is that most of them don’t get to sing about it.”

And at Jezebel, Julianne Escobedo Shepherd calls Ms. Swift’s single “a gentrification anthem so obtuse it makes one wonder if she is, in fact, trolling at this point.”

“Swift didn’t move to one of the most expensive cities in the U.S. to ‘make it,’” Ms. Shepherd writes, “she moved because she’d already ‘made it.’” As a point of contrast, she offers Jay Z and Alicia Keys’s “Empire State of Mind”:

“Sure, they’re both millionaires now, but there’s a sense of struggle behind it, a sense of loving this city despite itself. A mean street you learn to love, as opposed to a playground for the happy-go-lucky and effortlessly moneyed. ‘The lights will inspire you,’ sings Alicia Keys, just after Jay Z talks about cooking and pushing crack as his hardscrabble origin story — at the very least, it’s aspirational. As opposed to Swift’s ‘The lights are so bright, but they never blind me.’ Of course they don’t.”
KEND
Great Old One

Re: taylor swift WTF

Postby WVMark on Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:37 pm

And in other news, Taylor Swift replies to the criticisms directed at her. She stated, "I'm just gonna shake it off." Then she gets thoughtful for a moment and says, "What a great idea for a song!". A month later, she thanks all the critics and haters for making her yet another couple of million dollars. ;D ;D ;D

'Cause the players gonna play, play, play, play, play
And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate
Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
I shake it off, I shake it off
WVMark
Huajing

Postby yeniseri on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:16 pm

WVMark wrote:And in other news, Taylor Swift replies to the criticisms directed at her. She stated, "I'm just gonna shake it off." Then she gets thoughtful for a moment and says, "What a great idea for a song!". A month later, she thanks all the critics and haters for making her yet another couple of million dollars. ;D ;D ;D

'Cause the players gonna play, play, play, play, play
And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate
Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
I shake it off, I shake it off

ah luv Taylor Swift! Those souther girls are so ..................m&MMMMMMMMMMMMM good!
Most that glitters is just Hollywood and promotions....the american way!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:59 am

hehe,
t.s.,- 1st time heard - sweet" G" rated pop commercial work
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby npc on Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:21 am

npc
Anjing

Postby Michael on Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:37 pm

wiesiek wrote:hehe,
t.s.,- 1st time heard - sweet" G" rated pop commercial work

That's for sure! My very lovely Chinese students used to play Miley Cyrus in class so I finally did a quick lyrics analysis for them and they immediately dropped her. Some people just have more sense than others and if you're not brought up in a culture where that kind of garbage is normalized, you will reject it, just like the garbage food.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:10 pm

So, does the pic imply that she's shaken it off? or ...
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:37 pm

I believe it implies she is a talking crab leg of the teeny bopper genus, but I'm not sure what to infer from that.
Michael

Postby KEND on Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:30 pm

Not exactly the Great American songbook, Gershwin, Rodgers, Kern, Cole Porter where are you now that we need you
"Shake It Off"
I stay out too late
Got nothing in my brain
That's what people say, mmm-mmm

I go on too many dates [chuckle]
But I can't make 'em stay
At least that's what people say, mmm-mmm

But I keep cruising
Can't stop, won't stop moving
It's like I got this music
In my mind
Saying, "It's gonna be alright."
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Dajenarit on Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:40 pm

Lol Nah it's saying she's built like a crab leg which is ice cold hilarious.
Dajenarit
Wuji

Postby Andy_S on Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:14 pm

So an inane pop chick (are there any other kinds?) is hired to do promote NYC as a tourism destination. Her critics respond: "Gee, how empty. Why does she not raise the city's social problems in her clip?"

That makes as much sense as (say) criticizing Dr. Steven Hawking for not winning a UFC bout.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:10 pm

Andy_S wrote:That makes as much sense as (say) criticizing Dr. Steven Hawking for not winning a UFC bout.

I've been wondering about that lately too. Really, what gives?
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:28 pm

No shit, why doesn't that lazy bastard stop talking all this shit and get in the ring like a man!
Michael

Postby grzegorz on Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:18 am

Andy_S wrote:So an inane pop chick (are there any other kinds?) is hired to do promote NYC as a tourism destination. Her critics respond: "Gee, how empty. Why does she not raise the city's social problems in her clip?"

I believe the Romans called it bread.
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic