Whiplash Recovery Training

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Whiplash Recovery Training

Postby daniel pfister on Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:51 pm

Hello All,

I received a neck injury about 6 weeks ago when a big wave hit me while goofing off at the beach, which left me with lingering arm pain, and now weakness on that side. At the moment I can't even do a single push up correctly, but pulling movements are unaffected.

NSAIDs and muscle relaxers seem to have no effect. Someone suggested Zhanzhuang, but that doesn't seem to do much either. The only thing that seems to give it temporary relief is a barbell press or an overhead squat, perhaps because those work some the rotator cuff muscles that have been weakened due to the nerve impingement? Even though the shoulder itself was not injured. But I wonder if lifting weights at all in that way is a good idea?

I'm still looking for better medical advice, but I'd thought I'd ask in case anyone had any ideas. I can still do most everything in my MA training; however, I'm much more cautious about how much strength I use in PH or throwing, which is disappointing to me as I was trying to train more seriously into the wrestling aspects.

Ideas? Thanks.
daniel pfister
Wuji

Re: Whiplash Recovery Training

Postby kenneth fish on Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:26 pm

You need a consult with an osteopath or a neurosurgeon and an MRI of your cervical spine. Don't f**k around.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby daniel pfister on Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:43 pm

kenneth fish wrote:You need a consult with an osteopath or a neurosurgeon and an MRI of your cervical spine. Don't f**k around.

I'm sure you're right.

Did I mention I'm having insurance issues... ?
daniel pfister
Wuji

Postby kenneth fish on Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:20 pm

At least go for the consult - I will not go into detail about what I think the diagnosis is on a public board, but you need to be seen.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby daniel pfister on Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:28 pm

I will try to make make an appointment.

Thanks.
daniel pfister
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:23 pm

I will try to make make an appointment.

Go to an ER if it's bothering you. Dr. Ken is right about the seriousness.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:27 pm

daniel pfister wrote:
kenneth fish wrote:You need a consult with an osteopath or a neurosurgeon and an MRI of your cervical spine. Don't f**k around.

I'm sure you're right.

Did I mention I'm having insurance issues... ?

Blame the Democrats - damn them for trying to get health coverage for all, in an affordable manner the way the rest of the major countries in the world provide for free...
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Doc Stier on Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:26 pm

Agreed. You should definitely consult with a Professional Health Care Provider ASAP. The longer you wait, the more likely it is that the condition of your injury will worsen through neglect or that you will accidentally aggravate your injury through continued attempts to test the parameters of your strength and range of motion without actually knowing the full extent and nature of your injury. Don't wait! :-\
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby TrainingDummy on Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:03 pm

I have a long term cervical disk injury with symptoms very similar to yours.

Find a high grade practitioner asap. If you establish compensation patterns you may get all sorts of compounding problems that take years to resolve. I'm still working through the issues 7 years later and I'm under the care of one of the top research neurosurgeons in my country.
TrainingDummy
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic