Police brutality?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Police brutality?

Postby windwalker on Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:46 am

nothing that a little Ritalin wouldn't have cleared up. ;) yep a little pill works on everything.
dope the little angle up thats the ticket.

at 8 ys old it may already be to late for this kid, which as you mentioned is a reflection of the parents or lack of.

one day the kid will tell his parents, if you dont do what I want I will call 911

what should the officer have done?

the staff didnt think that any thing was out of place they did not stop it, or press any charges against the officer.
One would have to ask whether this was SOP for officers that work with in the school and if it was done in the past.

The school not the officer should be held accountable for the actions if it didnt bring charges against the officer, the officer acting as an agent for
the school. So far the school has not commented on the case why?

The question of who released the video

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) just released a video that will break your heart.

Kinda makes sense right, the person who released the video understands that they cant do it directly with out being charged.
My bet would be that it was given anonymously should be pretty easy to figure out who released it to the ACLU. Seems like the school and parents would have a
case against the employee.

what if a video of the kid acting out was posted what would the parents do? what would they ask?
would they be suing the school for violating their little angles privacy?
would they be trying to sue the officer?

maybe video cameras in school are needed to show the parents what their little angles are doing or not in the class rooms are needed.
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:07 am

grzegorz wrote:

I work around there. I was talking to a co-worker about this. I said can you imagine walking out to your car and a cop has a gun on you?

He said, "I don't have to imagine it, I'm black."

It's interesting how a simple camera on a mobile phone has changed everything.

I understand a cop's need to defend themselves but the smirking and taking photos is a but much, dude is obviously abusing the badge. Funny originally the department said the cop was on vacation and now they're saying he's on leave since this now has national attention.

the point of the video was?

to show what ?

with out back ground why?

so you or your co worker equate this with having a cop having to draw his weapon?

lets hope that someday either he or you never get filmed having words with your kids if you or he have/has them,
or trying to correct them in a physical way.

I do agree that the schools should not have to deal with kids like this.
they would be better served in schools that have staff trained to handle them.
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:36 am

nothing that a little Ritalin wouldn't have cleared up. ;) yep a little pill works on everything.

Is that your only answer? You asked what the cop should have done. I realize that you were suggesting that it wasn't his fault --even though it was illegal. But, I was wondering what you would have done in the same situation. Afa the parents, I didn't mean to imply that they had done anything wrong. I just suggested that the staff might have tried to get the parents when the child started acting out --whatever he did. Maybe the parents couldn't be reached. But, if the parents, or the teachers, or the principal of the school had handcuffed the 8 year-old, I betcha there'd still be media attention. Like I said, this doesn't live up to the term "police brutality."
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:58 pm

It's illegal to film police? Since when?
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:17 pm

grzegorz wrote:It's illegal to film police.

I always find it funny by the way when people say nothing illegal happened here but it is the fault of the camera guy or the scholl etc...

me too, more so when the officers have not been charged nor proven guilty.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:20 pm

Excuse the typo. I meant it's not illegal to film police.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:33 pm

Steve James wrote:

Is that your only answer? You asked what the cop should have done. I realize that you were suggesting that it wasn't his fault --even though it was illegal. But, I was wondering what you would have done in the same situation. Afa the parents, I didn't mean to imply that they had done anything wrong. I just suggested that the staff might have tried to get the parents when the child started acting out --whatever he did. Maybe the parents couldn't be reached. But, if the parents, or the teachers, or the principal of the school had handcuffed the 8 year-old, I betcha there'd still be media attention. Like I said, this doesn't live up to the term "police brutality."

was it illegal ?

I was wondering what you would have done in the same situation.
never give an answer but always asking for one.

The staff did not stop the officer nor report the officer. To me this means that its something they where ok with or had happened before.
with out reviewing the policies and laws of the school or state who could say what they would do?

Afa the parents, I didn't mean to imply that they had done anything wrong. I just suggested that the staff might have tried to get the parents when the child started acting out --whatever he did.

thanks for the advice hopefully the staff can read about it here, so they know what to do next time.

The use of shackles on youth in courtrooms, as well as in schools and treatment centers, is controversial. At least 100,000 children are shackled in the U.S. every year, David Shapiro, a campaign manager at the Campaign Against Indiscriminate Juvenile Shackling, told Mother Jones.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/vid ... n=politics
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:45 pm

grzegorz wrote:Excuse the typo. I meant it's not illegal to film police.

I believe in class rooms it's illegal to film activities with out getting written consent.
The staff is not pressing charges against the officer why?

what do their SOPs say about handling kids acting out,

AUSTIN -- Video of a child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder handcuffed by a school resource officer in Kentucky went viral recently, and Austin ISD said their resource officers would not have acted the way the officer in the video did.

"Something like that is very difficult to see, I don't know that handcuffing a student is necessarily the right answer, I find it hard to understand why something like that would occur," said Austin Independent School District Police Chief Eric Mendez.

The viral video from 2014 shows Kenton County, Kentucky Sheriff Kevin Sumner handcuffing a third-grader around his biceps after he was acting out for 15 minutes. A school employee shot video of the incident. The American Civil Liberties Union is suing that officer, arguing this kind of discipline does more harm that good.

I don't know that handcuffing a student is necessarily the right answer,
but not a wrong answer just maybe one that they would have used.

School resource officers (SROs) are sworn law enforcement officers who are responsible for providing security and crime prevention services in the American school environment.

SROs are typically employed by a local police or sheriff's agency and work closely with administrators in an effort to create a safer environment for both students and staff.

so what would be the fist question if this kid whom the staff could not control decided to bit or injure some ones kid, the staff probably has SOPs that prevent them from
handling the kids directly and so go through some type of escalation protocol before asking the SRO to step in.

why is there no video of what the kid was doing prior to this?
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:57 pm

why some officers ask to see someones hands and get nervous when not shown.

the officer did not follow protocol he was sloppy and now dead.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:58 pm

Lmao. Count the number of questions in your last two posts :). (Edit: ooops, didn't make it before the video). Anyway, you asked "what should he do?" and I asked for your suggestion. I was waiting for you to say that you'd have handcuffed the kid too. Instead, you made a crack about ritalin. Anyhow, I was really interested in what you'd do. It seemed that you blamed everyone from the child, to the parents, to the school, to the staff, to the media. Everyone did something wrong except the cop. I do agree that we don't know what the child actually "did." But, as a parent, I'd really want to know that the cop had good reason to put handcuffs on my child. And, if someone took out his or her cell phone and taped it, I wouldn't mine. Ymmv.

Afa videotaping in a classroom, it's legal. You only need a release to show a student's (or an audience member's) face. I teach at a college, and we videotape our events all the time. Thee's a standard release form. If a person refuses to sign, we have to blur out his or her face.
Last edited by Steve James on Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:04 pm

Well I did a google search and I couldn't find anything saying that filming in a classroom in Kentucky is illegal.

The only thing where filming might be illegal in some situations is in farming operations which is being fought in the court rooms.

Can anyone prove that filming was illegal in this situation?

If it is I hope that person goes to jail. ;) Not really...
Last edited by gzregorz on Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:13 pm

Steve James wrote:

Lmao. Count the number of questions in your last two posts :). Anyway, you asked "what should he do?" and I asked for your suggestion. I was waiting for you to say that you'd have handcuffed the kid too. Instead, you made a crack about ritalin. Anyhow, I was really interested in what you'd do. It seemed that you blamed everyone from the child, to the parents, to the school, to the staff, to the media. Everyone did something wrong except the cop. I do agree that we don't know what the child actually "did." But, as a parent, I'd really want to know that the cop had good reason to put handcuffs on my child. And, if someone took out his or her cell phone and taped it, I wouldn't mine. Ymmv.

Afa videotaping in a classroom, it's legal. You only need a release to show a student's (or an audience member's) face. I teach at a college, and we videotape our events all the time. Thee's a standard release form. If a person refuses to sign, we have to blur out his or her face.

it wasnt some one it was an employee. Change the law or policy showing half of an action with out context is why the ACLU published it not
the one who took it.

Thee's a standard release form. If a person refuses to sign, we have to blur out his or her face.

And if the whole class decides not to sign? in this case it was 2 people did the officer sign it?
You might mind if someone tapped your kid acting out for 15min and putting on utube trying to make a statement.

what would you do then? sue the school for allowing it to happen with out your permission?

a professor, I wonder what the subject is?

In answer to your question:

What I would do would depend on the options I had under their guidelines and law.

why isnt the school pressing charges against the officer?
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:21 pm

a professor, I wonder what the subject is?

In answer to your question:

What I would do would depend on the options I had under their guidelines and law.

why isnt the school pressing charges against the officer?

You were saying something about asking questions ... But, "what I would do would depend on the options I had under their guidelines and law" means that you don't know what you'd do, right? Or does it mean that you'd handcuff the kid if it were legal. Oh well, it's better than Ritalin.

Why isn't the school pressing charges? Why are you asking me? How would I know? :)
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:24 pm

Personally I don't think the school has a lawsuit. The families are already have a lawsuit what would the school sue for?
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:28 pm

And if the whole class decides not to sign?

Fwiw, there's no class that's videotaped that the audience has to be shown. You can google sites from Ivy League colleges that show classes and entire courses. Afa students not wanting to sign, unfortunately, there are probably some students who feel that way. Just as there are those who think it's aggressive to call on them to answer a question. They spend more energy trying to figure out how to outsmart the course and professor than in trying to actually think.
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic