Police brutality?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Police brutality?

Postby windwalker on Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:39 pm

maybe they'll get lucky and their will be another autopsy by the DOJ happens :-\
it is interesting that in each case those that charge the officers are the same ones who ordered the officers there.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:53 pm

It's about what they did, no?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:00 am

IMO this incident illustrates insufficient training for low level confrontations with an individual who is being uncooperative. In other words, there were better ways to handle this confrontation - esp as more than one officer was present.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:59 am

Yeah, there's training "in principle" and training "in practice." I think that leos learn on the job and act according to the practical rules of the streets/precincts where they work. You've seen how policing has changed in some ways, but is pretty much the same in others. New officers are trained at the academy, then they learn what they can and can't do when they are assigned.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:46 pm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:31 pm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:05 am

grzegorz
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:34 pm

never seems to be a follow up.

Evidence from an autopsy on Sandra Bland, the black woman found hanging dead in a Texas jail days after a traffic stop, supports the medical examiner's initial ruling of suicide, a county prosecutor told reporters on Thursday.

The preliminary results also found high levels of marijuana in Bland's system, although officials are seeking additional tests to confirm when and how much she might have smoked or swallowed, Waller County Assistant District Attorney Warren Diepraam said.

"The evidence that we reviewed up to this point supports those findings," he said of the initial suicide ruling.

Bland was pulled over on July 10 near Prairie View, Texas, northwest of Houston, for failing to signal a lane change. After the incident escalated into an altercation between her and the white trooper, Bland was taken into custody and charged with assaulting an officer. She was found hanging in her jail cell on July 13 with a plastic trash bag around her neck.

http://news.yahoo.com/sandra-bland-had- ... 21847.html
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:46 pm

Follow up, or cover up?

What does the marijuana have to do with the price of tea in China? Seems irrelevant aside from the attempt to smear her name.

As for lack of followup, I found the follow up to be interesting and continuing. Why was the police car video altered? Hmm....?

Also, care to comment on the two previous videos?

Your blatant "us vs them" mentality is one of the key problems with law enforcement in the US.

I have three close friends who became cops. After a year or two, they fully stopped hanging out with any and all of their old (child hood) best friends and only associate with LEOs. They also started posting disturbingly racist things on social media to boot. A sick culture, to be sure.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:20 am

A nice breakdown (follow up) of the traffic stop and the laws that were broken by the officer.

http://www.texasstandard.org/shows/curr ... ould-know/
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:16 am

She may have committed suicide. But, she should never have been in jail. She was pulled o Dr for failing to signal. Though it appears she was yielding to the police car. How many times have you failed to signal?
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:56 am

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:A nice breakdown (follow up) of the traffic stop and the laws that were broken by the officer.

Good to know the laws the officer broke.
He he should be charged with something very shortly.

@steve,

I cant remember when I did not signal, its something I make sure to do, lots of traffic here.

Have gotten tickets before for what I though where pretty bogus reasons.
made sure to do all the things asked for. For example going over whats called a gore line http://www.ehow.com/info_8703558_gore-area-driving.html
in turning on to another off ramp on a free way. with no traffic early in the morning. The offices just seemed to come out of know where.
Didnt even know what a "gore line" was.

I do now, and see many others passing over it each day....guess they were not as lucky as me. :-\

Had relative and friends who where roughed up by the cops. Happens :-\
knowing my relatives and friends I could understand how it went down.

there is a part of the story that is left out
or even misleading. The stories are reported in such a way as to incite a reaction.

she was in jail "as reported" for:

Bland was pulled over on July 10 near Prairie View, Texas, northwest of Houston, for failing to signal a lane change.
After the incident escalated into an altercation between her and the white trooper,
Bland was taken into custody and charged with assaulting an officer.

In responding to some of the comments here I always find it interesting in looking at the other side for common practices
and reasons for why the offices react as they do.

For example "getting the driver out" never knew about this, always made sure when stopped to do as asked.

http://www.policemag.com/channel/career ... stops.aspx
Get the Driver Out

Whether to get the driver out of the car is probably one of the most contested tactics during a traffic stop. It’s a black-or-white issue for some and each side will rattle off a list of reasons for his or her preferred method. I am of the opinion that it's safer to get the driver out of the vehicle and conduct your business off to the side. If you let the driver stay in his vehicle, he’s on his home turf. He is familiar with this environment and has all of his resources available to him. If you get him out of his vehicle, you change the driver’s environment and effectively deny him the use of anything in that vehicle that could hurt you.
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:25 am

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:A nice breakdown (follow up) of the traffic stop and the laws that were broken by the officer.

Try following whats suggested in your link sometime, maybe you'll even get a chance to make the news.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:40 am

Good to know the laws the officer broke.

there is a part of the story that is left out or even misleading. The stories are reported in such a way as to incite a reaction.

Which part of which story? And, if the officer broke the law, shouldn't there be a reaction?

My point was that I've failed to signal when getting out of the way of a patrol car or ambulance but didn't get cited.

Afa you being pulled over, :), and your compliance. Fair enough. Anyway,

Had Sandra Bland been a murder suspect and arresting officer Brian Encinia serving a warrant for her arrest, no one would have questioned Encinia's conduct in ordering her out of her car. One might even find room to excuse his order to stop smoking, if she were assumed to be someone who had already killed another human being.

But Bland wasn't a murder suspect. As she quite rationally protested, she was ordered out of her car over a "failure to signal." She had complied with the traffic stop. I seriously doubt there is a law or ordinance requiring her to stop smoking while being issued a citation for a traffic violation.

Encinia didn't even phrase his initial request as an order. His exact words were, "You mind putting out your cigarette, please, if you don't mind?" It was Bland's refusal to comply with this non-order that incited Encinia's indignation and subsequent order to exit her car.

Ultimately, we have to look at what we are asking police officers to do and how we are training them to do it. Encinia may have treated Bland differently because she was black. We can't read his mind. But it's much more likely he treated her the way he did because she didn't exhibit blind obedience to his every whim, something he was trained not to tolerate and Americans of all political persuasions seem to have acquiesced to without question.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:59 am

Which part of which story? And, if the officer broke the law, shouldn't there be a reaction?

My point was that I've failed to signal when getting out of the way of a patrol car or ambulance but didn't get cited.

You equate this with what ever she did that caused her to be pulled over?

"if" the officer the law did he?

From reading it seems traffic stops are already a high stress encounter for the officers.

It would seem that instead of trying to push what ever rights one feels they have that one would try to be prudent and not push the issue.
I for one would not want "their bad day" to be my bad day.

People can say what ever they want and they do until put into the same situations. Not saying their are not bad officers
or bad calls, but compared to the many traffic stops made the reported cases are relatively few to the many where nothing happens.
windwalker
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic