Police brutality?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Police brutality?

Postby Steve James on Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:14 am

That explains Carlin's view.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:35 am

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:01 am

Not everyone on FOX --or elsewhere-- agrees. Some argue that the officer was reasonable for fearing a cigarette attack.

HASSELBECK: But, what if, I mean, there are times, I'm sure, someone has, in the history of this land, used a cigarette against a police officer, maybe chucked it at him, pushed it at him.

RAFFERTY: Absolutely.

HASSELBECK: If he indeed felt it could be a potential threat, was that the wise thing to do?

RAFFERTY: I think because you know, you have to know you're being recorded -- you have to say, "Listen I need you to step out to sign this warning." I wouldn't want somebody stepping out with a cigarette. I mean, I've had a cigarette tried to be -- I've had somebody try to put a cigarette out on me. It happens. I guarantee, you speak to many cops out there. But the way you say it, unfortunately you're locked into it. Because now, it's being recorded. Unfortunately, these officers have to remember that.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:49 pm

Yeah, I mentioned that.

This is what happens when we call reality TV show stars journalists.

In fairness to her I think some people are always trying to think of what should have or could have been done to avoid a tragic situation.

I remember when a teenaged girl got shot at midnight in front of her house and upon hearing the story someone in a college class mumbled, "What was she doing in front of her house at midnight?"
Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:08 pm

grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:13 am

grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:56 am

Btw,

The gin bottle a driver handed over moments before he was shot dead by a University of Cincinnati cop was full of air freshener — not alcohol, authorities said.

Samuel DuBose gave Officer Ray Tensing the Barton Gin bottle during the brief exchange on July 19.

“What’s that bottle on the floor there?” Tensing is heard asking in a body camera recording.

“Oh, it’s a bottle of air freshener,” DuBose told him.

The Hamilton County coroner confirmed DuBose was telling the truth. An analysis of the bottle’s contents found fragrance, coroner Dr. Lakshmi Sammarco said.

Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:50 am

grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:32 pm

Hmm. not exactly brutality; but, no one got shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcNXbRPqcSE
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:25 pm

windwalker
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:24 pm

I work around there. I was talking to a co-worker about this. I said can you imagine walking out to your car and a cop has a gun on you?

He said, "I don't have to imagine it, I'm black."

It's interesting how a simple camera on a mobile phone has changed everything.

I understand a cop's need to defend themselves but the smirking and taking photos is a but much, dude is obviously abusing the badge. Funny originally the department said the cop was on vacation and now they're saying he's on leave since this now has national attention.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:42 pm

how many arrests, or interactions vs reported abuses by cops?

He said, "I don't have to imagine it, I'm black.

wow it happened to him, what was the circumstances did he say?

kinda odd how that simple camera always manages to be able film police doing things wrong, but never anyone one else
must have some kind of way of blocking it or something.... :-\ .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWYiDnTdKGo
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:55 am

Holding LEO's to a lower set of standards than citizens (criminal or not) is absurd.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:36 am

grzegorz wrote:

I work around there. I was talking to a co-worker about this. I said can you imagine walking out to your car and a cop has a gun on you?

He said, "I don't have to imagine it, I'm black."

I understand a cop's need to defend themselves but the smirking and taking photos is a but much, dude is obviously abusing the badge. Funny originally the department said the cop was on vacation and now they're saying he's on leave since this now has national attention.

this clip is a good example, what should he have done?
why does the clip only show the boy being hand cuffed not what the young angle was doing before?
why didnt the one taking the clip offer to help calm the boy down?
what did the staff say?

where was the staff oh thats right they probably called the officer to handle it?

The viral video from 2014 shows Kenton County, Kentucky Sheriff Kevin Sumner handcuffing a third-grader around his biceps after he was acting out for 15 minutes. A school employee shot video of the incident. The American Civil Liberties Union is suing that officer, arguing this kind of discipline does more harm that good.

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/local/20 ... /31126277/

so what it amounts to is the staff could not handle the kid, call the officer to handle it, and then film him doing so they can post it on utube.
I wonder if they got the kids permission before posting the clip.

next time maybe they can handle it on their own.

ok the officer was wrong, its not legal to do so.
what should he have done?

discipline does more harm that good.

He was not being disciplined, he was being restrained to prevent him from injuring him self or others.
notice their is no video showing the before showing what the kid was doing.

It will interesting to see whether the employee violated any polices regarding filming and posting clips on utube
my bet would be probably there are policies against unauthorized filming, which is why no clips of the kid are posted showing him acting out.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:10 am

ok the officer was wrong, its not legal to do so.
what should he have done?

Damn. Maybe the point is that he shouldn't have handcuffed the kid --unless he was being arrested. But, ok, in your opinion, what should the cop have done?

Btw, I agree that calling the cops on a 10 year-old doesn't seem like a normal school response. Calling the parents or a child psychologist might have been a preferable option. Fwiw, I've read that the child's crime is having ADHD and that he simply got out of control. The staff should have been better prepared, but that doesn't absolve the cop of responsibility. Anyway, I don't think that this is a typical example of police brutality or abuse of power. It's more like bad parenting. I don't think the cop meant any harm at all.
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic