Police brutality?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Police brutality?

Postby grzegorz on Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:21 pm

Two Louisiana Police Charged With Second-Degree Murder of 6-Year-Old Child

http://news.yahoo.com/two-louisiana-pol ... 33999.html
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Michael on Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:08 am

Top Cop Union Threatens Quentin Tarantino

Amid the continuing national debate about policing, Thursday brought the latest batshit PR move from police union leaders. Their current target, Quentin Tarantino, found himself on the receiving end of a veiled threat when Jim Pasco, the head of the national Fraternal Order of Police, told reporters that "something is in the works" against the Hollywood filmmaker. The union's plan, Pasco said, "could happen any time" between now and the premiere of Tarantino's upcoming film, The Hateful Eight, on Christmas Day. Just what exactly did he mean? More from the Hollywood Reporter:
Michael

Postby Michael on Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:24 am

Tarantino joined a protest recently against police brutality and said that murder is murder and murderers are murderers and the police unions howled in protest against him, vowing to boycott his upcoming film. Tarantino said he won't recant and won't be intimidated.

It is extremely rare that any A list Hollywood entertainer takes a controversial political position and Tarantino has a chance to use his voice on a topic that he apparently cares about. I think it would be very easy for him to continue to agitate against the police unions in order to show more clearly what their position is on police use of force simply because they apparently feel they have to respond to him.

Since the police have had the benefit of favorable representation in the media for a long time, Tarantino's tiny statement is apparently enough of a concern to the police unions to make this veiled threat against Tarantino and his film.

Will Tarantino go it alone or be smart and seek organizational support from other concerned political groups? If he does, what are the risks to his business interests? Will he go down quickly like Charlie Sheen after his pointed questions to Obama on the 9/11 investigation issue in 2010? Those are the only two A list people I can think of who have taken a controversial, anti-establishment position when their career was at risk for doing so.

Do the violent nature of Tarantino's movies make him hypocritical for being against murder committed by the police? I don't think so at all.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:08 pm

grzegorz wrote:
Two Louisiana Police Charged With Second-Degree Murder of 6-Year-Old Child

http://news.yahoo.com/two-louisiana-pol ... 33999.html

This is especially sad case.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:21 pm

Compare these two fatal shootings by police of men in their cars. The police claimed the cars were being used as weapons or in some way threatened them, so they had to shoot. Both videos later show there was no threat to the police man from the driver or the car. In the DuBose case, the police man was calm and then suddenly shot when DuBose tried to drive away after the police man opened his door. In the second case, the police man approached violently without identifying himself, possibly frightening the suspect into fleeing.

Sam DuBose fatally shot in the head by Ray Tensing, the officer was later indicted for murder. It was a traffic stop for no front license plate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0cdejrSjyc

Zachary Hammond shot dead while driving away from plain clothes police man who got out of a blacked out SUV police car screaming he would shoot him and pointed a gun at him, the police man had not been charged. The police were there because the passenger in Hammond's car was trying to sell some marijuana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Js2liSrePU

Lawyer for Hammond's family explains the problems with the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFla6RZluQg

As in the other South Carolina case where Walter Scott was shot in the back while running away after a scuffle with the police, I don't think fleeing is justification for shooting, especially if they are unarmed.
Michael

Postby grzegorz on Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:00 am

Michael wrote:Top Cop Union Threatens Quentin Tarantino

Amid the continuing national debate about policing, Thursday brought the latest batshit PR move from police union leaders. Their current target, Quentin Tarantino, found himself on the receiving end of a veiled threat when Jim Pasco, the head of the national Fraternal Order of Police, told reporters that "something is in the works" against the Hollywood filmmaker. The union's plan, Pasco said, "could happen any time" between now and the premiere of Tarantino's upcoming film, The Hateful Eight, on Christmas Day. Just what exactly did he mean? More from the Hollywood Reporter:

I think this is backfiring on the police. All dude said is murder is murder.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Michael on Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:58 am

grzegorz wrote:I think this is backfiring on the police. All dude said is murder is murder.

I think so, too. And I also think they're showing who they really are. If Tarantino wants to, he can run with this indefinitely. Make it his next project, a feature film and the docu upon which the movie about police brutality was based.
Michael

Postby grzegorz on Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:32 am

Quentin Tarantino speaks out.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xDHJADECk7s
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Trip on Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:37 pm

NYPD Sergeant Kizzy Adonis to Face Internal Charges in Eric Garner Confrontation

A New York City police sergeant was served with departmental disciplinary charges on Friday for her role in the confrontation that led to the death of Eric Garner in 2014.

The sergeant, Kizzy Adonis, was one of two Police Department supervisors to initially respond to the scene of the encounter. The charges are the first official accusations of misconduct against any of the officers involved in the case.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/09/nyregion/new-york-police-sergeant-to-face-internal-charges-in-eric-garner-confrontation.html
Trip
Wuji

Postby Michael on Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:17 am

Here's a video of two LA County deputies shooting a man 4 times while trying to handcuff him. It usually takes me several viewings to get past the shock and try to understand the situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I-Xg-Ga1a8

Apparently, this video was not available at the time of the report from the D.A.

I read most of the 11 page report and the first two minutes of the video show almost everything. Suspect resisted a lot, he had a gun that he didn't use, and after they took his gun, one of the deputies accidentally shot his partner, so then they executed him in the heat of the moment and made sure he died by literally sitting on him for several minutes while he bled out. I think those deputies made some serious mistakes since shooting Aguilar 4 times was because of the deputy's accidental discharge, not because of Aguilar at the moment they shot him. I can't see it as self-defense without at least a hearing. Not entirely sure what a jury would say, but I think there should be an indictment.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:15 pm

"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:07 pm

Following 3 minute rural motorcycle chase in unmarked police Camaro that MC rider says he didn't know was following, cop rams bike as he's stopping, then kicks MC driver in chest. MC driver wins civil suit, including damages from broken collar bone and rib.

My question is do you think the kick even connected? I don't. Sort of wondering when the bone breakages occurred, maybe during cuffing or transport. View is obscured by the hood of the car, but it looks like a lot of hog tying going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uuo_CiiPk8&feature=youtu.be&t=211

Related article breaks down some of the details.

I think the cop rammed him because it is a tactic for MC speeders to slow down and pretend to stop and then speed away in order to take advantage of superior acceleration and also to taunt police, which fits with possible cop's POV that an MC rider passed him at illegal speeds and then eluded dangerously for 3 minutes, which would appear to be extremely dangerous taunting, endangering people's lives for no reason, etc.

Notice that MC rider is always correctly positioned in his lane when not passing illegally, whereas cop Camaro does not have lane control in several places, does not set up properly for curves at speeds that should be no problem. Looks like 60-70 MPH to me in the curves and nothing over 90 in the straights. My guess is below 80 almost the entire chase and speed limit is probably 50-55. Speeding in Oregon is not even a criminal offense, it's civil, but not sure about sth. like wreckless driving, even if this qualifies.

Kicking the guy as he's kneeling down is definitely excessive force, maybe from fear of not knowing why the MC tried to get away, but still aggressive and unnecessary, probably punitive. Shows a certain state of mind. Is it intolerant, angry, scared?
Michael

Postby grzegorz on Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:51 pm

grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Michael on Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:02 am

Even the mainland Chinese police know how to surround someone with a machete/knife/dao/apple parer and wear him down, then take him down without shooting him. Good to see some US police expanding their training; more please.
Michael

Postby gzregorz on Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:20 pm

"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic