Police brutality?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Police brutality?

Postby grzegorz on Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:25 am

Sorry, doesn't work for me. Even my cop friends were pissed when they saw this.

Again, I'll wait for trial for more info. Perhaps your questions will be answered then.

Btw, the cop who paralyzed grandpa pled not guilty so we'll see how that goes to and get more info.

As far as handling bigger people as a martial artist that should not be an excuse.
Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:56 am

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:36 pm

a little late to the party ;)

https://www.facebook.com/kisa.jackson/v ... =2&theater

why are there no clips or very few clips of people committing crimes.
Isn't it strange ;)
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:30 pm

windwalker wrote:a little late to the party ;)

https://www.facebook.com/kisa.jackson/v ... =2&theater

why are there no clips or very few clips of people committing crimes.
Isn't it strange ;)

Actually I was waiting for you to post it but you never did.

I gave you a week to argue that the cop was doing what he was trained to do but it didn't happen.

So who's late? Me or you?
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:03 pm

who knows, I didnt repost the clip, you did.

my main point and always has been, Is that in this case and others, there are a lot of things that are not presented. Things presented are used by the media to present a narrative, when it gets out of control they back out claiming freedom of the press ect. In the clip its only a small part of a total event. Many of the residents both black and white supported or understood the officers actions.

I was doing some checking to try to understand what really happened, and came across that clip.

this is what one resident posted:

As most of you probably know my city, McKinney, has made national headlines & is a top trending topic. Forgive this long post, but I feel most of my friends would like to know some actual facts involving this. For those of you still blindly trusting the media, let me tell you I have seen it with my own eyes how inaccurate & one sided it all is. I have truly lost all respect for the media & these so called "journalists" who sensationalized a story with a very one sided, inaccurate report.

https://www.facebook.com/caseye.hollis/ ... 4680904456

It just seems so strange that the media is playing everyone, and most dont seem to see it. There is no real counter point that people can go to.

The officer resigned , he felt he was doing the right thing and that things would calm down by it...
guess not....
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:42 pm

I didn't repost anything, I posted a video that wasn't posted.

Nothing more, nothing less.
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:02 pm, edited 6 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:38 pm

It sounds like the resident is just trying to defend McKinley, which I really couldn't care less about, I'm only concerned with the LEO's actions which have and could happen anywhere.

The officer may have believed he was doing the right thing but his chief sees things differently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U73Ut0t44G0

So although we can probably discuss the random opinions of random people everywhere I think I'm going to go with the Chief of police on this one.
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:34 am

It's true that the "media" presents these incidents similarly, almost robotically. That doesn't mean that the events are similar or the same. However, that means that arriving at the same conclusion in all these cases is obviously wrong. In this case, for example:
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/06/0 ... Black-Kids
This report was confirmed by the White kids at the party.
And, the lawyer for the officer who resigned said that he had been involved in a suicide earlier that day and was under stress. That answer --that he was just stressed out and acted inappropriately-- is one that would satisfy lots of people more than saying "they deserved it" or "he did the right thing." Sometimes, people just make mistakes in judgment.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:21 pm

Thanks for the article that's basically what I saw too.

Personally there should be some blame on the media in that they should show the whole video because it tells the whole story. It becomes obvious that the young teens are trying to explain everything to the officer but the officer isn't listening.

Strange that the officer let that big man stand over him. Didn't seem like the way to stay safe on the streets.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:37 pm

The press at it again.

The autopsy of the Baltimore black man who died after being hurt while in police custody shows he suffered a "high-energy injury" like those in shallow-water diving accidents, the Baltimore Sun reported on Tuesday.

The spinal injury to Freddie Gray, whose death in April triggered protests and rioting, was most likely caused when the police van in which he was riding suddenly decelerated, the newspaper said. It cited a copy of the autopsy report, which has not been made public.

The state medical examiner's office concluded that Gray's death fit the medical and legal definition of an accident. But it ruled the death to be a homicide because officers failed to follow safety procedures "through acts of omission."

Gray, 25, was arrested on April 12 following a foot chase by officers and suffered a severe spinal injury while in police custody.

His death a week later sparked protests over police brutality and looting and rioting that drew national and international attention to the case.

The State's Attorney's Office charged the six officers involved in Gray's arrest and death. Officer Caesar Goodson Jr., the driver of the van, is accused of second-degree depraved heart murder.

View galleryPeople gather at Gilmor Homes for a march "against …
People gather at Gilmor Homes for a march "against police brutality and in support of the pain …
Three other officers are charged with manslaughter and two officers face lesser charges. The trial is set for October, and the officers have pleaded not guilty.

Though Gray was loaded into the van on his belly, the medical examiner surmised that he may have gotten to his feet and was thrown into the wall during an abrupt change in direction, the Sun said.

http://news.yahoo.com/autopsy-shows-fre ... 15737.html

could it be possible he was loaded that way due to a leg injury?
How can it be an accident and homicide at the same time?

Depraved-heart murder is the form of murder that establishes that the willful doing of a dangerous and reckless act with wanton indifference to the consequences and perils involved, is just as blameworthy, and just as worthy of punishment, when the harmful result ensues, as is the express intent to kill itself. This highly blameworthy state of mind is not one of mere negligence.... It is not merely one even of gross criminal negligence.... It involves rather the deliberate perpetration of a knowingly dangerous act with reckless and wanton unconcern and indifference as to whether anyone is harmed or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depraved-heart_murder

tough to prove, easy to sell.
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:43 pm

They didn't follow procedure. He died. Their fault.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:51 pm

hard to say,,,Their SOP is not exactly public.

Depends on why he was loaded that way, at some point he did stand up.
who's at fault,,was it intentional?

They might have felt this was the safest way to transport him. On his stomach face down.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:55 pm

Their SOP is not exactly public.

It's what the medical examiner says in the report you cited. So, it doesn't depend. The only point that will be relative is the punishment. It wasn't the first time that someone (not convicted of any crime) has been injured in a Baltimore van. http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... tml#page=1
So called "rough rides" were commonly reported.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:04 pm

last i checked they still need a trial.

"Policy is policy, practice is something else," particularly if a prisoner is combative, Davey told The Associated Press. "It is not always possible or safe for officers to enter the rear of those transport vans that are very small, and this one was very small."

lets see what happens at the trial....
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:31 pm

"They" are charged with multiple crimes. The driver, iinm, faces the worst. No matter what, they violated policy. Yeah, "policy and practice" are different. But, that's just too f-in bad. The fact that people buy loose cigarettes "in practice" doesn't make selling them ok. Anyway, there'll probably be a civil trial too --as in the article I posted where the family got $7.5 million, and that guy was only left a paraplegic.
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic