Microsoft 8.1

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Microsoft 8.1

Postby KEND on Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:33 pm

Am considering buying a small [11.6 in] notebook for easy travel. It comes with Microsoft 8.1 installed.[ I presently use Windows 7 on my PC] . I understand there were several problems with the 8.1 in terms on connectivity. Were they resolved? Any other advice would be appreciated.
KEND
Great Old One

Re: Microsoft 8.1

Postby Steve James on Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:57 pm

8.1 works fine, if you like Win7. Actually, I'm trying out Windows 10 on a spare machine. It is even closer to a Win7 environment. The start menu is back, so it's possible to use it without the fancy touch stuff. The one thing I don't think anyone likes is the sign in with an email account. I also detest the swipe motions. But, overall, 8.1 is fine.

I had to upgrade from 8.0, so I don't have the install disk for 8.1. If you do, then why don't you try installing 8.1 on a virtual machine. Then you can see if you're comfortable with it. Fwiw, I still work mostly on my Win7 machine. That will change when I upgrade my hardware.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:23 pm

Thanks Steve for your input
KEND
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:26 pm

have you thought of the surface pro 3?
http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/pc- ... 750/review

@ steve,

On win 10, is it very stable at this point?
Was it hard to install?
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby KEND on Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:39 pm

Thanks Steve for your input
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:01 pm

Win10 is stable. I wouldn't use it to store anything important. I'm trying it out on a spare machine. I like it as much as Win7 because one can go straight to a similar interface. Things like the control panel, etc., are readily available. They took the users opinions into consideration and made it possible to use the software in either a touch screen or "old style" format. Win 8.1 improved on 8.0 by giving the option. Win 10 takes it further.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:55 pm

Hi Steve, Pretty much everything is touch screen nowadays, I've got used to mouse- which do you prefer, are there any advantages to using one over the other
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:24 pm

Well, it's not always either/or. For my tablet (an old Samsung Slate 7 running Win 7), the touch screen interface that comes with the Win 8s and above would be fine, maybe even superior. However, the problem with Win 8 was that it seemed dedicated for touch screen use, but most of the original adopters worked on desktop pcs using Win 7. So, the touch interface was counter-intuitive, time consuming, inconvenient, required learning how to swipe :), and had no advantages for the desktop user. End result: people still use Win 7, and a keyboard/mouse combo. Win 10 is/was supposed to solve the problem using the same strategy used by 8.1, but the hope is that it will be an improvement.

Btw, I have a bluetooth keyboard and usb mouse for my Win 7 tablet. But, the touch screen lets me do simple tasks on the subway.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:20 pm

Now, in a way, I hate to sound like a M$oft groupie, but my geeky side really enjoyed hearing about these latest events. What do you think?
http://www.wsj.com/articles/windows-10- ... 0?mod=e2fb
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:24 am

Just a couple more questions
Is there anything I should know about downloading files, video etc on flash drives from 7 to 8.1
I noticed recently that MS is possibly giving free downloads for MS 10, is there any problems in downloading files from MS 7 and MS 8.1 to MS10
KEND
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:54 am

Hi, no, there shouldn't be a problem. But the Win10 version that you download now won't be the final release. So, if you install it, you will still (probably) have to reinstall the final release. You won't be able to "upgrade" from the beta version. Iow, I wouldn't install anything you absolutely need on the present version. Or, I'd install it on a new partition on your main drive. Keep your Win7 os because you will be able to upgrade from it to Win10 anyway.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby KEND on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:12 pm

Thanks I put all my files on flash drive for easy transportation so I can upload them any time
KEND
Great Old One

Postby TrainingDummy on Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:38 pm

Steve James wrote:Now, in a way, I hate to sound like a M$oft groupie, but my geeky side really enjoyed hearing about these latest events. What do you think?
http://www.wsj.com/articles/windows-10- ... 0?mod=e2fb

Microsoft controlling the "Internet of Things" is a scary prospect. Part of the reason that our digital infrastructure is so vulnerable is the legion of legacy computers running on ancient operating systems (WinXP, 95, NT). These machines are frequently single use and up-time critical, such as point-of-sale or industrial control systems, where IT admins are hesitant to patch or maintain them in case it breaks something. As patching is now more effective at securing systems than using anti-virus (ASD Top 35 Mitigation Strategies), these systems are trivially compromised by attackers. Microsoft also has a history of bloatware, incorporating additional functionality beyond requirements in order to encourage developers to create applications, which increase the surface area of attacks.

If MS wants to own the "Things" market it needs to create a very stripped back version of its OS, which would reduce its inter-functionality with other devices to close to zero. It also needs to incorporate a more robust and secure way of system and application patching that doesn't break systems or require frequent restarts.
TrainingDummy
Great Old One

Postby TrainingDummy on Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:39 pm

I like the AR googles though. They're cool and I'm impatiently awaiting to see which version (Google, MS, Facebook) achieves market dominance.
TrainingDummy
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:27 pm

The issue of bloat is why 8.0 was why many pc users complained. Anyway, the point of 10 is to make the os work on all devices. Whether more people use it instead of Android is another question. However, the issue of compatibility primarily affects those who already use M$. None of the recent M$os have crash problems, and internet security is a concern no matter which platform. If that is the primary worry, then Linux works. Google has an os coming too. In terms of market share, making an os free only encourages manufacturers to include it. For the average user, the os used will be the one that comes with the machine.
Steve James
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic