Zulfiqar: The Cleaver of Vertebrae

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Zulfiqar: The Cleaver of Vertebrae

Postby Andy_S on Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:56 am

Just learned something interesting (well, I thought so): Mohammed's sword was dubbed "Zulfiqar" which means "Cleaver of Vertebrae."

Pretty decent name for a sword if you ask me - as far as I am aware, neither "Excalibur" (King Arthur) or "Durandel" (Roland) actually mean anything. This, OTOH, is a far more descriptive piece of branding for a true killer blade.

I was born a Christian and I would wade through blood before I gave up beer 'n bacon, but I have to say: The Muslims do get SOME things right.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Re: Zulfiqar: The Cleaver of Vertebrae

Postby Bill on Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:54 am

I agree. That's some Conan level shit there.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Dajenarit on Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:13 am

You guys are hilarious. ;D
Dajenarit
Wuji

Postby Andy_S on Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:55 pm

SNIP
That's some Conan level shit there
SNIP

Nicely worded yourself, Sir Bill.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:49 am

Polish Kings famous - has the name :" Szczerbiec" :)
/ Snaggletoother/?/
Last edited by wiesiek on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:58 am

ps
Excalibur - Extra Calibre ? ;)
or CalibresExtreme :D
Last edited by wiesiek on Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby leifeng on Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:46 pm

It was Imam Ali's sword...Muhammad's cousin.
leifeng
Huajing

Postby Steve James on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:24 pm

Excalibur (n.) King Arthur's sword, c.1300, from Old French Escalibor, corruption of Caliburn, in Geoffrey of Monmouth (c.1140) Caliburnus, apparently from Welsh Caledvwlch probably a variant of the legendary Irish sword name Caladbolg which might mean literally "hard-belly," i.e. "voracious." For first element, see callus; for second, see belly (n.).

Caladbolg ("hard cleft", cognate with Middle Welsh: Caledfwlch in medieval Welsh literature and Excalibur in the Matter of Britain; the name appears in the plural as a generic word for "great swords" in the 10th-century Irish translation of the classical tale The Destruction of Troy, Togail Troí[1][2]), sometimes written Caladcholg ("hard blade"), is the sword of Fergus mac Róich from the Ulster Cycle of Irish mythology. Spelled Caladcholg, it is also associated with the more obscure Ulster hero Fergus mac Léti, suggesting a conflation of two legends. It was said to be a two-handed sword that made a circle like an arc of rainbow when swung, and to have the power to slice the tops off hills and slaughter an entire host.

During the events of the Táin Bó Cúailnge, Ailill mac Máta takes Caladbolg away from Fergus mac Róich when he discovers Fergus' affair with his wife Medb. He gives it back when the Ulaid rally against his armies. Fergus wreaks havoc against Ulster's forces with his blade, but Conall Cernach convinces him not to kill Conchobar mac Nessa. Fergus strikes the "Three Great" Strokes on three small hills instead, blasting off their tops.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:16 pm

SNIP
It was Imam Ali's sword...Muhammad's cousin.
SNIP

Muhammed presented Ali with Zulqafir after Ali broke his own blade in a battle, while indulging in some over-enthusiastic infidel-cleaving.

Happy days in the Prophet's retinue back then, I would wager.

Steve:

RE: Calad Bolg/Caliburn
Aha, thanks for the Celtic lesson. Not sure how they made the linguistic leap from "Caliburn" to "Excalibur" though.

BTW (and unrelatedly) this idea of spinning round in a circle while chopping the heads off an entire host reminds me of perhaps the most ridiculous "special forces" technique I have seen or heard of:
Taught by Russian Ninja Sunny Puzikas, it is a counter to being surrounded that involves spinning in a circle with an AK in one hand spraying away on full auto, while point-shooting with a pistol in the other. (Add however many exclamation marks you wish right here.)

Equally remarkably, some of your fellow 'Merkins are paying Puzikas real Yankee dollars to learn this, erm, "technique." (BTW, I am not making this up. YouTube don't lie!)
Services available:
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:17 am

Equally remarkably, some of your fellow 'Merkins are paying Puzikas real Yankee dollars to learn this, erm, "technique." (BTW, I am not making this up. YouTube don't lie!)

C'mon, Andy, we need this kind of help if life is going to be able to continue imitating art. I'm proud to know my tax dollars are being spent so wisely.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:12 am

they made the linguistic leap from "Caliburn" to "Excalibur" though

It was Latinization: i.e., "out of" (or "from") Caliburn.

Afa swords in lakes, it's often mentioned that it's rare to find an ancient sword on a battlefield. Duh, they were valuable, useful and trophies. It's possible that important swords were tossed in lakes to prevent them from being captured. Almost every legendary/historical European conqueror had a special sword. That only stopped when Kings stopped participating in battles. Alas, poor Richard, I knew him well Horatio. Speaking of which, did you see the documentary where they found a guy with Richard's scoliosis, armored him up and trained him to be a knight? They showed the special saddle meant that he could be formidable on horseback. That makes his historical last words even more poignant.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic