Judge sentenced to 28 years for selling teens to prison

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Judge sentenced to 28 years for selling teens to prison

Postby Steve James on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:10 pm

Disgraced Pennsylvania judge Mark Ciavarella Jr has been sentenced to 28 years in prison for conspiring with private prisons to sentence juvenile offenders to maximum sentences for bribes and kickbacks which totaled millions of dollars. He was also ordered to pay $1.2 million in restitution.

In the private prison industry the more time an inmate spends in a facility, the more of a profit is reaped from the state. Ciavearella was a figurehead in a conspiracy in the state of Pennsylvania which saw thousands of young men and women unjustly punished and penalized in the name of corporate profit.

According to allgov.com Ciavearella's cases from 2003 - 2008 were reviewed by a special investigative panel and later by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court and it was found that upwards of 5,000 young men and women were denied their constitutional rights, and therefore all of their convictions were dismissed and were summarily released.

During his sentencing Ciavarella was defiant, claiming he had broken no laws and claimed the money he received was a legitimate 'finder's fee.' Assistant U.S. Attorney Gordon Zubrod said comments such as these were typical of Ciavarella, ac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnT7QXD7zXk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTRppZjVbfk
Last edited by Steve James on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Re: Judge sentenced to 28 years for selling teens to prison

Postby Finny on Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:33 pm

But.. but.. I thought all 'merkans agree privatising anything is a positive move??

In all seriousness though, the whole private prison system is such a scary thing. Even without explicit corruption such as the above case, the trend toward excessive incarceration rates affected by the lobby is terrifying
Finny
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:43 pm

You don't understand. It's like a franchise in reverse. They build the prison only if you promise to supply the customers. Sure, like the man says, if you make money from incarcerating people, it just creates a monetary incentive to incarcerate more prisoners for longer periods.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:44 pm

"Finders fee?" And this man was a judge?

Anyone "judge" who confuses judicial principles with commercial principles needs to be chained up in a prison shower with his arse for sale.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:51 pm

Judges across America receive money from the court fees they impose on people. The corruption seems to be spreading. Contracts between the prison privateers and the states require guarantees from the states for high occupancy rates. Conviction rates in the kangaroo courts are well above banana republic levels, and approaching marsupian PRC levels.
Michael

Postby Andy_S on Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:11 pm

FFS, this is a clear case of moral hazard.

What next?

Executioner: "Why say there, judge! As per your reeequest, ah just outfitted me a fine, fine new 'lectric chair facility: We got ourselves environmentally friendly wirin', video replay gear, an' most important of all, a spacious viewin' chamber for the fans. But that was a mighty big investment. So: May ah trust that ya'll gonna be sending a regular supply of...er...customers?"
Judge: "Why of course, my good man! This is American justice! 'Try 'em 'n fry 'em!'"
Executioner: "Actually judge, ah was kinda hoping ya'll might be able to guarantee me a monthly quota...?"
Judge: "Well, that would naturally depend on the size of my kickba...I mean...finder's fee."
Executioner: "Yer honor, I do think that we may just be able to reach ourselves a amicable and mutually profitable business arrangement right there. Yessir! Ah surely do!"
Judge: "Well that sound right goodly, we must talk further. Oh: And you had another proposition to discuss...?
Executioner: "Ah do, yer honour, ah most certainly do. Now we got this new-fangled chair, I think what this state needs next is a brand new, fully functioning torture chamber - jist like the ones our brave boys been using over there in I-raq and somesuch! We'll fit it up with waterboarding facilities, plenty o' 'lectrical sockets and a few badass devices me 'n the boys thought up ourselves! What say you to that, judge?"
Judge: "Why, Linus! I do believe you may be just about to innovate the next step in this state's God-fearing judicial history!"
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:23 am

I'm amazed someone actually got in trouble for this. I hope we see more judges like this behind bars.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Michael on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:43 am

grzegorz wrote:I'm amazed someone actually got in trouble for this. I hope we see more judges like this behind bars.

Sorry if this comes off pessimistic, but the education system is so inundated with mindfuckery that the ones who are corrupt are not much worse than the ones who are fixated on finding how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Really great when you see a good decision from the appellate court somewhere.
Michael

Postby yeniseri on Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:04 am

The Prison Industrial Complex sells better than the Education Industrial Complex. The Holy Seen One Most Exalted Hollywood Governor Ronald Reagan got rid of "free education" and now POTUS is suggesting a 2 year community college programme (free, yes there are costs ;D that will benefit the greater nation as a whole (It has worked in Northern Europe ;D ) but the Prison things gets a better ROI! Who wudda thunk? ???
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby fuga on Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:22 pm

Did he get sent to a different one of the franchise prisons by another judge? Maybe it's just a turf war...
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:08 am

天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:05 pm

SNIP
Did he get sent to a different one of the franchise prisons by another judge? Maybe it's just a turf war...
SNIP

Ho ho. Justice AND comedy, eh?

If there were REAL justice, he would be made the "shower superintendent" of the same facility as all the perps he has referred/imprisoned over the years.
Services available:
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Dajenarit on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:13 am

Dajenarit
Wuji

Postby Michael on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:07 am

And the judges who aren't on the take are often over-educated mush-heads. I prefer the bribe takers.
Last edited by Michael on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Postby roger hao on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:34 am

Billy Bob aka Slingblade is in the top vid
roger hao

Next

Return to Off the Topic