why haven't americans been protesting?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

why haven't americans been protesting?

Postby I-mon on Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:46 pm

on the streets?

at the very beginning of the iraq war i remember mass protests around the world, we had some huge ones in australia - of course the government sent troops anyway - and there was tv footage of huge numbers of people in london, new york and other cities in the US, and various other parts of the world. that was what, 6 years ago?

what's happened since then? why haven't there been enormous demonstrations of millions of americans calling for the removal of Bush and Cheney from office?

have you guys in america heard about or been invited to protests and not bothered to go? why not? has it just become too cheesy? too much of a cliche?
I-mon
Great Old One

Re: why haven't americans been protesting?

Postby Ian on Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:02 pm

hell, why haven't americans been protesting over their lack of universal health care? don't they know they're getting shafted?
Ian

Postby cerebus on Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:07 pm

Americans HAVE been protesting. Sometimes in the streets, sometimes on the internet. I have a cousin who is a political activist who has been in large protests in New York, Chicago and Colorado in recent months. Hopefully it'll even do some good.... :-\
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby C-Hopkins on Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:12 pm

I think Cerebus is right- I also think that there's alot of status quo, acceptance /not wanting to rock the boat ,just want my car house boat and money type thing going on as well.
C-Hopkins
Huajing

Postby CaliG on Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:13 pm

Troy,

Summed it up, it's because it's not going to do anything.

Basically most Americans have lost complete faith in their government, no thanks to Bush's "Bring it on attitude."
CaliG

Postby klonk on Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:14 pm

The war in Iraq is won, unless the incoming politicians lose it. (Still a possibility! The Vietnam war was lost in Congress.)

Canadians and Brits come to our hospitals if they can. Why would we want their system? The biggest fault we have is it is against the policy of our private hospitals, mainly Christian founded, and the finest in the world, to deny care to anyone. We make up for it by screwing the people who can pay.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby jasonf on Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:16 pm

I heard an interview with a British member of Parliment a while back on this and he said something along the lines of: Society is at it's most dangerous not when peole are protesting and fighting back, but when people no longer believe that they can create change. Although they believe that something is wrong they believe more strongly that they are fighting a losing battle, sinking further into complacency. Basically giving in. Media has the war way out of the spotlight with all the economic/election crap.
There have been some small protests here in Boston one with maybe a few thousand back when the war started, that I went to and the vibe was more of this is run by college kids who want to feel like they're back in the 60's and less about a real passion for what they were doing. Here and there you'll drive by a bunch of people with signs, maybe on the anniversary of the wars start. Personally, at this point and after everything that's been put into this by the US we need to get something out of it: military installations, an implemented government or at least steal the fucking oil. :-\
jasonf
Huajing

Postby Kurt Robbins on Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:02 pm

Toby Keith told us not to. :P
Kurt Robbins
Huajing

Postby D_Glenn on Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:13 pm

Two words: Patriot Act

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby gretel on Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:14 pm

bush and cheney are being voted out of office. if they fail to go, then you will really see protests.

gretel
gretel
Great Old One

Postby Jake on Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:27 pm

The majority of us Americans don't protest because they keep us dumb.

Between life in general and the work and bills that just dealing with it entails.... Topped off by the biggest, most ABUSED drug ever created in the diabolical history of mankind... The fucking idiot box tv (same with computers for some)...

We're retarded, drugged out, narrow minded masses who would rather have someone else make the change (or even mention it) other than ourselves.

Our grand parents would love to kick the shit out of us... If only they could.

(I have to go now and balance my checkbook to pay for all the debt that I owe including my fucked up mortgage for a house that's worth less than what I owe on it because I was one greedy stupid fuck. Plus on top of all that, the baby's sick, I might lose my job to a mexican or some other douchebag who lives in India, my wife is pregnant again, and I have to be online tonight at 10 so I can meet up and play world of warcraft with a bunch of other retarded fucksticks that I don't, and never even will, know in real life.

Fuckin-A though! Life is good!... On line I'm a God and my wizards a twenty-seventh level bad-ass mutha fucka!!!

Sa-wing!) ::)

Protest??... Yeah right..........

And even though I can't put one and one together, I DO know one thing by Gawd,

If it doesn't affect me directly... Who cares? ::)

(that's why we don't protest)
Last edited by Jake on Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
errrrr.............
Jake
Huajing

Postby klonk on Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:15 pm

gretel wrote:bush and cheney are being voted out of office. if they fail to go, then you will really see protests.

gretel

I would think they are sick of their thankless jobs. U-Haul has been phoned already.
Last edited by klonk on Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:56 pm

Too be honest I-mon, although I can understand why Americans don't I wish we would.

I think for some reason Americans can't separate being anti-injustice from being anti-American. If you protest people's attitude seems to be "love or leave it."

Sad but true.
Last edited by CaliG on Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaliG

Postby Chris McKinley on Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 am

Because early twenties females grew up. Because early twenties males were only protesting to impress the early twenties females to have sex with them. Because gas getting there is too damned expensive. Because Americans are so "busy" that they can't be bothered to pay attention to anything more than what they are marketed to by both sides anymore.
Chris McKinley

Postby meeks on Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:02 am

hell, why haven't americans been protesting over their lack of universal health care

because if the government suddenly said "you guys are a 1st world country and should have free healthcare like the other developed nations" then republican voters would riot, thinking the US had been taken over by communists....and jews... and aliens.... and la chupacabra....and <insert enemy-of-the-state catch phrase du jour here>
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Next

Return to Off the Topic