Ha

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Ha

Postby Steve James on Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:23 pm

"There's a set of biracial twins in the UK who are turning heads because one is black and the other is white." That's how the New York Post introduced a profile of Lucy and Maria Aylmer, 18-year-olds whose father identifies as white and whose mother is "half-Jamaican" (and, we're to assume, thinks of herself as black).

It's just the most recent story of fraternal twins born with such dramatic variations in complexion they're seen by many — and even see themselves — as members of two different racial groups.

Each of these situations and their accompanying striking images, is a reminder of how fluid and subjective the racial categories we're all familiar with are.

What "black and white twins" can teach us about race: it's not real
Lucy and Maria's story, and all the other sensational tales in the " Black and White Twins: born a minute apart" vein are actually just overblown reports on siblings who, because of normal genetic variations that show up in more striking ways in their cases, have different complexions.

But they're fascinating because they highlight just how flimsy and open to interpretation the racial categories we use in the US and around the world are.

Even the Post's description of the Aylmer twins is clumsy, asserting that they're each "biracial," but stating in the very same sentence that one is white and the other is black.

And the fact that the two, despite having the same parents, see themselves as belonging to two different racial groups ( "I am white and Maria is black," Lucy told the Post) proves that there's a lot more than biology or heritage informing racial identity.

It's a reminder that the racial categories we use are fickle, flexible, open to interpretation, and have just as many exceptions as they do rules when it comes to their criteria for membership— that's why they have been described as "not real," meaning:

They're not based on facts that people can even begin to agree on. (If we can't even get a consensus that people with the same parents are the same race, where does that leave us?)
They're not permanent. (If Lucy decides one day, like many other people with similar backgrounds, that her Jamaican mother is black and therefore, so is she, who's to stop her?)
They're not scientific. (There's no blood test or medical assessment that will provide a "white" result for Lucy and a "black" one for Maria.)
They're not consistent (Other twins with the same respective looks and identical parentage as these twins, might both choose to call themselves black or biracial.)
For more on this, read 11 ways race isn't real , and watch this short video.

"Not real" doesn't mean not important

Of course, none of this changes the fact that the concept of race is hugely important in our lives, in the United States, in the UK where the twins live, and around the world.

There's no question that the way people categorize Lucy and Maria, and the way they think of themselves, will affect their lives.

That's because, even though race is highly subjective, racism and discrimination based on what people believe about race are very real. The racial categories to which we're assigned, based on how we look to others or how we identify, can determine real-life experiences, inspire hate, drive political outcomes, and make the difference between life and death.

But it's still important to remember that these consequences are a result of human-created racial categories that are based on shaky reasoning and shady motivations. This makes the borders of the various groups impossible to pin down — as the "black and white" twins demonstrate — and renders modern debates about how particular people should identify futile.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Re: Ha

Postby Interloper on Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:37 pm

The roll of the genetic dice. :)
They may have gotten different colors and textures, but both are beautiful!
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:30 pm

There is a fellow from Philly whom I met once--he looks distinctly Caucasian; his brothers all have a distinctly African influence in their features and coloration. They call him the "white sheep" of the family.

I once knew a girl with one brown eye and one blue one. It was traumatic to go shopping with her for eye shadow.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:41 pm

Of course, in the US, they'd both be "Negroes," and they surely wouldn't be the first. That's the funny. Ever see "Imitation of Life"? It's also interesting that they'd have to make a choice ... just like the Prez. Imagine if he looked like the twin on the left :) I mean the half-Caucasian one. I never figured out how anyone could be half something, and I guess I'll never learn.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic