Smoking?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Smoking?

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:06 pm

what cma were you doing that you could smoke and work out? was there no cardio endurance aspect to the thing?
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Re: Smoking?

Postby Steve James on Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:32 pm

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:There wasn't really a thing like cigarettes at all and tobacco was not a daily thing amongst most peoples.

Well, I mentioned the Mayas because they are said to have the oldest tradition of tobacco smoking. They passsed it along to the Mississippi peoples. Columbus, fwiw, never made it to any mainland. So, he never saw Mayans or Mississippi peoples. He met Arawaks (Tainos, etc.). He was the first European writer to write about tobacco. His "Cartas" are available in Spanish, but I did a quick google to find an account of his letters: to be exact, from Hale, Edward Everett, 1822-1909 . The life of Christopher Columbus: from his own letters and journals and other documents of his time. Electronic Text Center, University of Virginia Library. Interestingly, Columbus despised tobacco smoking. It was his men who brought the habit back to Spain. Anyway, here's from the text.

"It was on this expedition that the first observation was made of that gift of America to the world, which has worked its way so deep and far into general use. They met men and women who "carried live coals, so as to draw into their mouths the smoke of burning herbs." This was the account of the first observers. But Las Casas says that the dry herbs were wrapped in another leaf as dry." He says that "they lighted one end of the little stick thus formed, and sucked in or absorbed the smoke by the other, with which," he says, "they put their flesh to sleep, and it nearly intoxicates them, and thus they say that they feel no fatigue. These mosquetes, as we should call them, they call tobacos. I knew Spaniards on this Island of Hispaniola who were accustomed to take them, who, on being reproved for it as a vice, replied that it was not in their power (in their hand) to leave off taking them. I do not know what savour or profit they found in them." This is clearly a cigar.

The third or fourth of November, then, 1892, with the addition of nine days to change the style from old to new, may be taken by lovers of tobacco as the fourth centennial of the day when Europeans first learned the use of the cigar.

On the eleventh of November the repairs were completed.

He says that the Sunday before, November 11 it had seemed to him that it would be good to take some persons, from those of that river, to carry to the sovereigns, so that "they might learn our tongue, so as to know what there is in the country, and so that when they come back they may be tongues to the Christians, and receive our customs and the things of the faith. Because I saw and know," says the Admiral, "that this people has no religion (secta) nor are they idolaters, but very mild and without knowing what evil is, nor how to kill others, nor how to take them, and without arms, and so timorous that from one of our men ten of them fly, although they do sport with them, and ready to believe and knowing that there is a God in heaven, and sure that we have come from heaven; and very ready at any prayer which we tell them to repeat, and they make the sign of the cross.

"So your Highnesses should determine to make them Christians, for I believe that if they begin, in a short time they will have accomplished converting to our holy faith a multitude of towns." "Without doubt there are in these lands the greatest quantities of gold, for not without cause do these Indians whom I am bringing say that there are places in these isles where they dig out gold and wear it on their necks, in their ears and on their arms and legs, and the bracelets are very thick."

Okay, it didn't turn out soo well.

it is the people moving forward from Raliegh that turned it into a drug that is abused.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic