The Vikings are coming.

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

The Vikings are coming.

Postby grzegorz on Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:40 am

Anyone else watching this show?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Re: The Vikings are coming.

Postby Steve James on Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:53 am

Oh yeah :)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:26 am

Steve James wrote:Oh yeah :)

Looks like a good series for martial artists to enjoy.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby aiasthewall on Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:48 pm

I watch it. It's much better than I would have thought. Not sure how accurate it is, but it is pretty well written and acted. Some of the battle scenes are pretty sweet too.
aiasthewall
Anjing

Postby yeniseri on Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:45 pm

Love it!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Andy_S on Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:24 am

Don't get it out here, but I trust it contains plenty of:
Broadswords shattering shields
Battleaxes cleaving skulls
Dragon ships cleaving waves
Buxom maidens popping out of their bodices
Copious horns of foaming ale being knocked back
Bearded, noisy gentry in horned helmets brawling and pillaging
And (according to Gzreg) plenty of kung fu fights

If it lacks these necessary elements of historical accuracy, I won't be seeking it out.

ESPECIALLY that bit about the headgear.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:48 am

I'm on series 3!
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:33 am

Peasant: The Vikings are coming!
Abbot of Lindisfarne: Are they, indeed! And who granted those randy Norsemen access to my choirboys? Or is it the village maidens they are ravishing?
Peasant: No, milord, you don't get it! They are landing their dragon ships on the beach!
Abbot of Lindisfarne: Oh, Beelzebub's bollocks! Run for the hills, boys!
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:57 am

Andy_S wrote:Don't get it out here, but I trust it contains plenty of:
Broadswords shattering shields
Battleaxes cleaving skulls
Dragon ships cleaving waves
Buxom maidens popping out of their bodices
Copious horns of foaming ale being knocked back
Bearded, noisy gentry in horned helmets brawling and pillaging
And (according to Gzreg) plenty of kung fu fights

If it lacks these necessary elements of historical accuracy, I won't be seeking it out.

ESPECIALLY that bit about the headgear.

You left out the joys of invading England without mercy.

And yes, the alcoholism is AWESOME!
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:35 am

The superficial accuracy is there! Their quest for 'discovery', their sojourn into northern France (Brittany) then their 1066 grand entrance into the World Stage!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:39 am

Actually, the Norsmen stayed and farmed. That is one interesting aspect of the show that is not part of the usual Viking story: i.e., that they wanted to settle in addition to pillage and plunder. Ragnar, btw, is an historical figure; but he's also part of Norse legend. The show uses the conflict between Norse religion and Christianity. But, this offers the opportunity to include some spooky stuff.
Um, afa the babes, they're not the buxom Brunhilda's of Wagnerian opera. Naw, these are more athletic shield-maidens --who didn't wear helmets, either. The show's treatment of Norse women in general is new --and they do get to participate in the gory bits. So, all in all, the show has something for everyone.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:55 pm

It's basically Game of Thrones, without tits and dragons.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:13 pm

SNIP
You left out the joys of invading England without mercy.
SNIP

I did, I did. Damn...a bit of nationalism must have crept in there. And they did not just invade. Those blasted Norsemen actually conquered Northern England - which is why TO THIS VERY DAY anyone who lives north of Watford is pretty well incomprehensible. (Even on the rare occasions when he or she is sober.)

There again it was we bold English fellows - ha-ha! - who offed the biggest and hardest Viking of them all - ie Harold Hardrada who is also, incidentally, probably one of the Top 5 badasses to have lived, anywhere, ever - at Stamford Bridge in 1066. And we did that after skewering his champion berserker through the rectum - true. (BTW, Hardrada is worth looking up. What a fucking pub fighter: Badly wounded at the battle where his father is hacked to death at 15. Escapes to Kiev, where he bullies his way to lead a group of Viking mercenaries in the king's service. Travels to Byzantium where he heads the Varangian Guard, win countless bar fights, earns shitloads of loot and equally shitloads of enemies. Slays a dragon and conquers Jerusalem. (Bit dubious, those two bits of info.) When things get too hot for him in Byzantium, returns home with his earnings - marrying the princess of Kiev en route - slaughters anyone who got in his way, and makes himself king of the Danes. Lords it over everyone in Scandinavia (hence "Hardrada" - "hard ruler"). With nobody left to kill in Scandinavia, invades God's Own Country with the greatest fleet of dragon ships every assembled. Has the temerity to unveil his war banner, "The Land Waster" over the green fields of England. Finally gets his just comeuppance in bloody battle with Harold Godwin and his Saxons. THE END)

And it was not just England. Let's see:
Scootland: Yes, those islands and highlands are full of Norsemen to this day, which is probably why Jocks are always up for a ruck
Ireland: Explains everything
Russia and Ukraine: When the Swedish Vikings rowed ("rus) down the Danube and Volga, they left their name on the land...
Normandy: Yes, France's warrior elite - who went on to conquer Sicily, much of Southern Italy, most of the Holy Land and that rainy little island across the channel - were not cheese-eating surrender monkeys, but iron-hard men of the Northway

Wassail! Wotan! Walhalla! (etc)
Services available:
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:08 pm

(THE END)

Not quite. 1066 is when the Normans really begin to take over. Harold gets an arrow in the eye, iinm, and a guy from Holland comes along and ends up being the reason that some Frenchies (named Plantagenet) end up ruling your noble isle. English history is way more interesting than Game of Thrones :).
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:29 pm

Attn: Dr Steve James:

Why My Good Sir:

I don't wish to appear a pedant, but by THE END I was merely referencing the end of Hardrada's life of misdeeds at the just swords of we brave Englishmen. Such was the slaughter that never again would the fair isle be troubled by uncouth fleets manned by hairy gentlemen wearing horned hats.

Those two words - terminal though they might at first have appeared - did not signal the end of my message, oh no.

If you had troubled to read but a little further - to the end of my (quite short) communication - you would not have failed to note that I did, indeed, reference the hideous conquest of our benighted and formerly God-blessed and sun-kissed land by those garlic-eating brutes from Normandy.

And who, pray tell, is this "guy from Holland?" I must confess unfamiliarity, if not outright ignorance.

I remain, Sir, your obedient servant -
Andy_S
Splitter of skulls, breaker of shield walls, wooer of maidens, emptier of ink pots.
Services available:
Andy_S
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic