Supraspinatus problems

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Supraspinatus problems

Postby jim on Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:13 pm

Has anyone ever suffered from rotator cuff issues - especially supraspinatus problems? If so, how did you manage to work around them in your training?
I've been stretching my pecs, doing as much as I can with rehab exercises but raising my right arm (or holding it out to the side) is really almost beyond me. I earn my living as a taiko drumming teacher - so I can't exactly cut down on moving my arms, although I'm trying to limit myself as much as possible and still provide good instruction.

If anyone out there has had any success I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance
jim
Anjing

Re: Supraspinatus problems

Postby kenneth fish on Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:46 pm

Have you had an MRI of your rotator cuff? Trying to rehab yourself without knowing the extent of your injury (partial thickness tear vs full thickness tear, injury to other muscles in and related to the rotator cuff, impingement ets) is difficult.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby jim on Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:08 am

Thanks Dr Fish

No - I haven't been for an MRI. I've had 3 separate physio's and an osteopath all tell me it's my supraspinatus, although apparently it's not an impingement. None of them have suspected a tear and my other rotators seem to be ok. Interestingly, none of them have given me an idea about what type of injury it is - they just go to work on it and prescribe rehab exercises. I've had them all check my exercise form and it seems to be in order.

The shoulder responds a little to anti-inflammatories, but with my job it's hard to work around.
jim
Anjing

Postby Fa Xing on Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:27 am

I'm curious what you have been doing in terms of rehab for it so far. Sometimes doing too much from different healthcare professionals may be more detrimental.
Dr. Troy Schott
Doctor of Chiropractic
Lead Instructor, Ground Dragon Martial Arts
https://grounddragonma.com/
Fa Xing
Anjing

Postby kenneth fish on Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:32 am

A rotator cuff or supraspinatus injury that is not responding to either rest or conservative care meets the criteria for advanced imaging. FWIW I will not treat an injury of that sort without an MRI.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:47 pm

HTFU

(Just kidding, get the MRI)
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby jim on Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:17 am

Well one of MY shoulders is also ok so I don't see what's so impressive about this ^ bloke.

Not sure what the procedure for getting an MRI is here in Germany but I will check it out. I've been doing a lot of - I guess you'd call them 'traditional' - rotator strengthening exercises. (humerus parallel to the floor, slight forward and rearward rotation of my forearms - with stretch bands and then again lying prone with light weights). I've also been getting weekly physio - which involves this sadistic bastard knuckling around on top of my trapezius until I scream and twitch.

Thanks for the responses all.
jim
Anjing

Return to Off the Topic