Martin Luther the Anti-semite

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Martin Luther the Anti-semite

Postby grzegorz on Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:22 am

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Re: Martin Luther the Anti-semite

Postby leifeng on Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:20 am

Let me guess...Was he religious?
leifeng
Huajing

Postby Interloper on Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:16 pm

Lol. Yeah, we learned about Martin Luther in Hebrew school as kids. He was kinda a poster child for anti-Semitism for us. ;)
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:57 pm

Yes, some historians trace the war crimes of the nazis to carrying out Martin Luther's desires.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:31 pm

Well, imo, it'd be easier to trace nazi anti-Semitism to 18th and 19th century philosophers. That's because what differentiated modern anti-Semitism from ancient anti-Semitism is the basis in religion. Nazis didn't refer to scripture or even the old "Jews killed Jesus" trope. Jews were likened to vermin and parasites that fed off the productive members of society and held Germany back. The irony, of course, is that the success of Jews in the arts, sciences, literature, and business (the high virtues idolized in German society) were dismissed. However, that doesn't mean that there weren't plenty of people in Germany and other parts of Europe who had been anti-Semitic since Luther's time.

Otoh, by today's standards, most of the people (men) we know from the 17th, 18th, and 19th century held racist, anti-Semitic, chauvinistic, misogynistic views. Actually, we'd have to go back to Jesus to find one who wasn't ;) Hating Jews is something we know that JC did not do --for obvious reasons.

Happy Passover, btw.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:43 pm

Interloper wrote:Lol. Yeah, we learned about Martin Luther in Hebrew school as kids. He was kinda a poster child for anti-Semitism for us. ;)

Unfortunately I believe few Christians are aware of these writings but slowly that is changing.

Definitely not a man of God, in fact the furthest thing from it.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:25 am

Martin looks like Lenin of the Church :)
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby ittokaos on Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:33 am

Hitler was a Theosophist (a notably vocal anti Christian philosophy) and not a Christian by any means. To attempt to link the two is to pathetically grasp at straws to hate Christianity. If you choose to hate Christianity then at the very least base it on a Christian.
ittokaos
Mingjing

Postby Steve James on Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:02 am

If you choose to hate Christianity then at the very least base it on a Christian.

I think the thread is about Martin Luther. I think it'd be possible to find lots of Christians to hate on, but I'd separate that from the tenets of Christianity. I mean, there have been numerous Crusades by Christians against Christians. Who are the heroes?

Anyway, though it's possible to separate Hitler from Christianity, Christian anti-Semitism precedes Hitler by millennia. The massacre at York http://www.historyofyork.org.uk/themes/ ... 0-massacre or the Rhineland massacres http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhineland_massacres, etc. Then there's England from Tudor to Jacobean times.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby ittokaos on Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:04 am

grzegorz wrote:Yes, some historians trace the war crimes of the nazis to carrying out Martin Luther's desires.

I commented in reference to this. Throughout history the Christian has been the source of widespread hatred either because of the ideas they presented affecting the conscience or because of the foolish tyrants who've subjugated the masses under the Christian banner. Either way, the hatred was directed towards a person that, at the very least, identified themselves with the faith. To go out of one's way to insinuate that those in opposition to said faith are also involved with the faith based upon little to no connection is, to me, grasping at straws. Anti Semitism has been around for centuries. It isn't a new concept by any means nor will it completely go away anytime soon.
ittokaos
Mingjing

Postby grzegorz on Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:06 am

ittokaos wrote:Hitler was a Theosophist (a notably vocal anti Christian philosophy) and not a Christian by any means. To attempt to link the two is to pathetically grasp at straws to hate Christianity. If you choose to hate Christianity then at the very least base it on a Christian.

This thread isn't about Hitler, who's attitude towards religion is up for debate, it's about Martin Luther's anti-Semitic writings. If researching the history of Christianity makes one anti-Christian then I guess I won't be getting a ride to church on Sunday. Perhaps instead of silencing the debate with a knee-jerk reaction and labelling people you should do your own research on the topic.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YGWGA6zsq50
Last edited by grzegorz on Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic