New Yorker Loses Phones, Makes Friend in China

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

New Yorker Loses Phones, Makes Friend in China

Postby Michael on Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:35 pm

I Followed My Stolen iPhone Across The World, Became A Celebrity In China, And Found A Friend For Life
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/i-followed-my-stolen-iphone-across-the-world-became-a-celebr?bffb&utm_term=4ldqpgp#.ae6aJq4jN

Social media worker in NYC bar lost his iphone and a year later pictures from the phone turned up on his cloud, so he tracked it down in China and met the mysterious figure from the photos.
Michael

Re: New Yorker Loses Phones, Makes Friend in China

Postby wiesiek on Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:48 am

only in NYC, ! :)
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby lazyboxer on Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:37 am

Everyone should read this who thinks all Chinese are xenophobes.

P.S. Mr. Orange was Hakka, though...
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:45 am

very cool

Anyway, Brother Orange and I exchange messages for weeks. He invites me to visit him. The Chinese internet is watching. I set a date: March 18.

windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:52 am

way cool ;)
windwalker
Wuji

Postby roger hao on Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:57 am

so...................this is not stolen cell phone purchased on black market?

social media absolves all sins.
roger hao

Postby Michael on Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:13 pm

This is why I wouldn't buy a used cell phone in China unless I knew the seller was the legit owner. I got my phone repaired at one of the large markets in Guangzhou, and while I was waiting around an hour, several pairs of young men dropped in with 3,4,5 or more phones on them to sell to the owner.
Michael

Postby grzegorz on Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:02 am

Holy Sh*t! China dude is growing some huge orange trees in those tiny pots! Those trees must be on steroids!

US Dude should challenge Da Shan to a No Rules fight and dethrone him as the most famous foreigner in China.

Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:09 am

Ah, the ethics of purchasing stolen property.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby roger hao on Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:39 am

Glad someone else gets it

Also .........not oranges - sorry
roger hao

Postby grzegorz on Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:50 am

roger hao wrote:Glad someone else gets it

Also .........not oranges - sorry

No need to be sorry.

Yes, Mandarins oranges Roger. I was keeping in with the lingo of the blogger.

I grow them myself but I have no idea how he's pulling this off.

Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Michael on Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:41 am

lazyboxer wrote:Everyone should read this who thinks all Chinese are xenophobes.

P.S. Mr. Orange was Hakka, though...

I think this is a fine story, but it was poignant for me when the American was asked to dance, obviously swept up in the moment he just went with it, although 10 days is probably doable when your life is working for a social media company and you're getting that much attention. I've seen one other person feel the rush and go with it whole hog like that.

I think this situation does describe one of the lenses through which Chinese see foreigners, and in my opinion it is a strange facet of xenophobia, but obviously this guy was treated very well overall, so no harm no foul.
Michael

Postby grzegorz on Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:02 pm

The problem arises when some foreigners don't want all that attention. For example women might feel unsafe or people in general might be having a bad China day. It's a little different when you're not a professional blogger/writer looking for adventure, some people are in China because their boss sent them there and they'd prefer just to blend in. On flipside some people get addicted to it and don't want to come home to face reality. I knew an average looking Italian who the Chinese would swear looked like Tom Cruise and treated him as such.
Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Michael on Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:41 am

I knew a woman who was treated almost as extravagantly as the one whose phone was stolen, and she loved every second of the adulation, returned as often as she could for years until the veneer of that situation began to chip away for her, although it had been apparent to all the other foreigners from the first moment, which raises a question about why do mainland Chinese flip out so massively over normal white people like this? It's weird. But on the other hand, I can probably never reciprocate all the free dinners and other goodies, so it's just one part of the package.
Michael

Postby grzegorz on Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:55 am

Michael wrote:I knew a woman who was treated almost as extravagantly as the one whose phone was stolen, and she loved every second of the adulation, returned as often as she could for years until the veneer of that situation began to chip away for her, although it had been apparent to all the other foreigners from the first moment, which raises a question about why do mainland Chinese flip out so massively over normal white people like this? It's weird. But on the other hand, I can probably never reciprocate all the free dinners and other goodies, so it's just one part of the package.

I always find it interesting how once mainlanders come Stateside they stop acting that way, in fact it practically goes the other way.
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic