China's new tool for Internet censorship

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: China's new tool for Internet censorship

Postby windwalker on Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:28 pm

The similarities of the programs may put American officials on awkward footing, the researchers argue in their report. “This precedent will make it difficult for Western governments to credibly complain about others utilizing similar techniques,” they write.

ya think :P
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Michael on Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:09 am

One thing leading to greater awareness about its govt. abuses in this area.
Last edited by Michael on Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael

Postby grzegorz on Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:18 am

The Chinese aren't alone in their internet censorship.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the- ... s-illegal/
Last edited by grzegorz on Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:49 am

Michael wrote:One thing I like about negative traits in mainland China is they are so extreme and intense that it makes them impossible to ignore, leading to greater awareness. If you can't ignore the way China does this, it could lead to reform in the USA about its govt. abuses in this area, perhaps the way that comparable East German abuses about privacy and weaponizing information led to strict reforms there.

+1
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:49 am

Michael wrote:One thing I like about negative traits in mainland China is they are so extreme and intense that it makes them impossible to ignore, leading to greater awareness.

Awareness...? Chinese are pretty aware of things there. The West is aware. Nobody does anything.

"The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people."
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Edit:

And:

"Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
- Elie Wiesel

"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."
- Haile Selassie

"Nothing strengthens authority so much as silence."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Last edited by Bao on Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:48 pm

Bao wrote:
Michael wrote:One thing I like about negative traits in mainland China is they are so extreme and intense that it makes them impossible to ignore, leading to greater awareness.

Awareness...? Chinese are pretty aware of things there. The West is aware. Nobody does anything.

"The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people."
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Edit:

And:

"Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
- Elie Wiesel

"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."
- Haile Selassie

"Nothing strengthens authority so much as silence."
- Leonardo da Vinci

I agree, in the US the internet and opinions aren't censored so how someone can say that the U.S. should look at itself in the mirror is beyond me. Yes, I know about the TSA and Snowden but that's not nearly the same as censorship. To me it's more along the lines of what the UK is doing with CCTV by monitoring everything and again not censorship. If the US disappeared tomorrow I doubt China's domestic policy would change or Putin's for that matter. Perhaps we should discuss how the Russians should look in the mirror. Oh! But that's a different subject because we're talking about China, precisely.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:37 pm

The U.S. National Security Agency has figured out how to hide spying software deep within hard drives made by Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba and other top manufacturers, giving the agency the means to eavesdrop on the majority of the world's computers, according to cyber researchers and former operatives.

That long-sought and closely guarded ability was part of a cluster of spying programs discovered by Kaspersky Lab, the Moscow-based security software maker that has exposed a series of Western cyberespionage operations.

Kaspersky said it found personal computers in 30 countries infected with one or more of the spying programs, with the most infections seen in Iran, followed by Russia, Pakistan, Afghanistan, China, Mali, Syria, Yemen and Algeria. The targets included government and military institutions, telecommunication companies, banks, energy companies, nuclear researchers, media, and Islamic activists, Kaspersky said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/ ... QV20150216

Regarding censoring, they'er trying and IMO doing it in ways that are not so open.

In 2007, Verizon attempted to block the abortion rights group NARAL Pro-Choice America from using their text messaging services to speak to their supporters. Verizon claims it was in order to enforce a policy that doesn’t allow their customers to use their service to communicate “controversial” or “unsavory” messages.[56] Comcast, AT&T and many other ISP's have also been accused of regulating internet traffic and bandwidth.

eNom, a private domain name registrar and Web hosting company operating in the U.S., disables domain names which appear on a U.S. Treasury Department blacklist.[23][24]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_c ... ted_States

At least in China, its pretty clear.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:46 pm

in 2014, the United States was added to Reporters Without Borders's (RWB's) list of "Enemies of the Internet", a category of countries with the highest level of Internet censorship and surveillance. RWB stated that the U.S. "… has undermined confidence in the Internet and its own standards of security" and that "U.S. surveillance practices and decryption activities are a direct threat to investigative journalists, especially those who work with sensitive sources for whom confidentiality is paramount and who are already under pressure."[1]

In October 2007, a set of Spanish travel agency websites had their domain name access disabled by eNom: the domain names had been on the OFAC blacklist.[13][14] When queried, the United States Treasury referred to a 2004 press release that claimed the company "had helped Americans evade restrictions on travel to Cuba".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_ ... activities

IMO, whats different is that in China they say they do, and do censer the net this is a known.
here in the US they say they dont ;) how would one know?

Is it censorship if its unknown?
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:32 pm

So therefore we should just ignore what China is doing, right?

Personally, I don't see the US as "the" worldorld leader. China still imprisons Falun Gong despite what the US does but so what? Who really cares, right?

In China you can't even access that page, but hey it's still just like the States.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:40 am

In China you can't even access that page, but hey it's still just like the States

Whats different?

For similar things done by the US, no one would even see it,
unless someone happens to reveal it. :-\

It's been proven time, and time again that the US pretty much does the same things, actually even worse
since they claim that they dont.

note: not a US hater, just tried of seeing the double standard it uses to
promote its own agendas with out regard to the rest of the world.

Its history, collective memory is rather short, something that I feel gets lost when dealing
with other cultures who's history and memories span a grater amount of time, nor are forgotten so easily.
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:00 am

windwalker wrote:
In China you can't even access that page, but hey it's still just like the States

Whats different?

It's been proven time, and time again that the US pretty much does the same things, actually even worse
since they claim that they dont.

note: not a US hater, just tried of seeing the double standard it uses to
promote its own agendas with out regard to the rest of the world.

Its history, collective memory is rather short, something that I feel gets lost when dealing
with other cultures who's history and memories span a grater amount of time, nor are forgotten so easily.

This is is strange coming from someone who believes the cops should basically shoot anyone down who doesn't comply within seconds of a verbal. But tell me which religious group is being actively persecuted by the US government.

Or if you have real balls why don't you go out anywhere in public in China and chant falun gong endlessly and then try it out Stateside and see the difference. Perhaps if foreigners weren't too busy being treated like celebrities they'd realize how bad things are there.

Blocking a site which promotes illegal activity is one thing, although completely ridiculous, and executing whole groups of people because of their beliefs, no matter how ridiculous, is a whole other thing.
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:44 pm

windwalker wrote:

Whats different?

Really? So how is it that you were able to point out the disabling of websites that were allowing travel to Cuba for Americans?

The fact is if the U.S. were blocking information on the web people through groups like Anonymous would know about it. My wife actually works in internet security and is surprised by all the illegal activity that isn't blocked on the web.

Needless to say since you are so pro-China then you should be willing to respect and follow their laws by using your real name on forums and social networking sites.
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:34 pm

ya know "g"
I thought you where better then this.
we go from talking about censorship to talking about me.

This is is strange coming from someone who believes the cops should basically shoot anyone down who doesn't comply within seconds of a verbal. But tell me which religious group is being actively persecuted by the US government.

I often wonder why people choose to either misquote or state what they "feel" what another believes in order to do what?

FWIW: I've never stated that, only noted that if or when an officer is assaulted or under some other conditions the chances of getting shot
are pretty good, and the "law" supports this.

There is a condition know as slips and capture errors.
which is quite interesting to read
http://www.forcescience.org/fsnews/154.html

Such errors are common in civilian life, Lewinski explains, ranging from experienced pilots who inadvertently activate the wrong controls at a critical moment and crash airplanes to drivers who floorboard their accelerator when they think they’re tromping on the brake. “In a very simple illustration,” Lewinski says, “think of renting an unfamiliar model of car. You know you’re in a different vehicle, but when you go to insert the key you may automatically and unconsciously direct it toward the spot where the ignition is located on your own car at home.

“The fact that you do this once is not unusual, but the fact that some continue to do it several times before their behavior changes shows how powerful old programs are and how hard they are to change.

It doesn't excuse what happens but may help to explain it a way that is more understandably one that might be addressed through training or testing.
In the most recent case concerning the motorist who was shot.
What I noted was that the officer seemed to be on autopilot, not consciously aware of his actions.
The way he shot and how he shot seems almost something like one would do at firing range.
It doesnt excuse his actions nor make them correct.

at any rate, what I meant by my many yr in the military, is that I tend to look at different things that help explain what is shown or noted.
The way officers are approaching and handling many similar situations seems to suggest a training issue.

Apparently its not ok for a person to have different view points on RSF on different things.

noted

on a side note the other officer is being also charged, which is what I thought should have happened to begin with, and is also why I noted that the news media seems to be very biased in the way it reports the news.

The National Bar Association, a mostly African-American legal group, said Friday Habersham participated in “an attempted coverup” of Scott’s death and should be charged.

“In his report, Habersham does not describe Slager’s actions but said that he gave aid to Scott and tried to give directions to the scene,” the group said in a statement. “However, there is no evidence on the video that shows Officer Habersham, or anyone else, administered CPR to Mr. Scott.”
The Rev. Al Sharpton joined those urging the South Carolina authorities to prosecute Habersham.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/ ... story.html

a little history about the other officer

The second policeman in the video showing Walter Scott’s killing by officer Michael Slager is being sued by another black resident in South Carolina, who alleges police stomped on his face while he was handcuffed and lying on concrete.

Clarence Habersham is among five North Charleston police officers named in a federal lawsuit brought by Sheldon Williams, who claims he was left with broken bones in his face after being assaulted.

later,,must be monday :P
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:43 pm

Speaking of the devil, after U.S. pressure China gives in.

China Releases 5 Women’s Rights Activists Detained for Weeks

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/04/14/wo ... &referrer=
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic