Meeting Dan Harden

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Meeting Dan Harden

Postby jaime_g on Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:24 pm

I'm really happy to have found an incredible powerful martial artist that also can and wants to teach this stuff. Tomorrow is step 0 again, but is the path I always dreamed to discover.

Dan, you can make jokes about my woman-thing name and my terrible english, but you'll never have my awesome curly hair ;D
Last edited by jaime_g on Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaime_g
Wuji

Re: Meeting Dan Harden

Postby XiaoXiong on Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:51 pm

Glad to hear it Jaime. I'm looking forward to meeting him myself and am curious to hear about your experience.
Jess
Truth enlightens the mind, but won't always bring happiness to the heart.
XiaoXiong
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:56 pm

Interesting... and I don't doubt that Mr Harden has some skill... but...

jaime_g wrote:an incredible powerful martial artist

Why? how?

and wants to teach this stuf

What?

Nothing to share or do you just want to start a thread that you met someone who is awesome?

.... Threads like this is to start watching a good thriller... when as soon it's starts to get interesting, someone takes out the disc and walks away... Just starting to watch the movie is just waste of time.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:36 pm

When you meet the great man, kindly have him bend over and stick a periscope up his rectum.

We all want to know the secret to his internal workings.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby AlexF on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:10 am

Andy_S wrote:When you meet the great man, kindly have him bend over and stick a periscope up his rectum.

We all want to know the secret to his internal workings.

Andy, let me ask you, if that was Chen Yu being referenced would you say the same thing?
I get its an attempt at a joke but here's someone who's clearly excited about meeting someone who has skills and is willing to share and 5 posts into the thread its been hijacked. Not surprised people do their talking behind the scenes. Do you have a relationship with Dan to think its cool to say that?

And Bao, I get your frustration but how about trying to coax more info out of Jaime, or ask him in a PM if your interested. Nah, your approach is to assume the thread is going nowhere.

Said my piece, feel free to start on this nobody for being Dan's bodyguard or spokesman, or who does he think he is? or anything else to derail ...

I for one would be interested in hearing more about Jaime's first meeting, some of the things he found surprising, different etc.. I'm sure at least a few others on here would aswell.
Last edited by AlexF on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlexF
Santi

Postby wiesiek on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:33 am

Good morning Alex,
it is open internet board, and Jaime started the thread, then...
and
we all know basic exercises set of Chen Yu for that matter,
Dan`s basic set - still in mist

wake up :-*
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby lazyboxer on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:47 am

What Alex said.

Wiesiek: Dan's been one of the most prolific posters on the interwebz for years and if you take the trouble to trawl through them you'll find some clues about his training methods (not 'sets').

Online education may be interesting and stimulating but I don't think anyone can learn much of substance from it. Dan tends to paint with broad brushstrokes but in person is as open and forthcoming as one could wish for.

If that's too frustrating for some of the peeps here, so be it.

P.S. Jaime_G: bring it on anyway. Tell us your story, or pm me personally of you like.
P.P.S. OK, Wiesiek: Dragon Walking! Dragon Walking! :P
Last edited by lazyboxer on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Postby Aqui on Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:56 am

Hey Guys,

a few days ago Dan posted this video of HIMSELF :o doing some IP stuff

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=801152376641091&pnref=story

When I saw this video, I was pretty blown away by Dan's power,but when I picked up a hardwood Jo (like him in the video) and tried to make it bend, I realized how flippin strong he is.

So now there is at least a short video for all the guys interested in Dan's stuff :)

Best,

Aqui
Last edited by Aqui on Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aqui
Anjing

Postby Bao on Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:06 am

AlexF wrote:And Bao, I get your frustration but how about trying to coax more info out of Jaime, or ask him in a PM if your interested. Nah, your approach is to assume the thread is going nowhere.

If the poster was someone who usually cares, discuss and answer to questions I wouldn't need to feel any kind of frustration.

lazyboxer wrote: take the trouble to trawl through them you'll find some clues about his training methods (not 'sets').

Very vague clues from what I have seen. And I have been following those threads for quite some time.

Dan tends to paint with broad brushstrokes but in person is as open and forthcoming as one could wish for.

Strange that nobody can explain then... At least "something" that gives some kind of clue what makes the method or the artist "special". :-\

.... A little bit frustrated, but really not surprised. Everyone goes to seminars and summer camps, they are all so enthusiastic and everything is so fantastic. But they can never explain or show anything ....

But thanks Aqui. Now we are getting somewhere.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby mrlizard123 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:16 am

Aqui wrote:Hey Guys,

When I saw this video, I was pretty blown away by Dan's power,but when I picked up a hardwood Jo (like him in the video) and tried to make it bend, I realized how flippin strong he is.

So now there is at least a short video for all the guys interested in Dan's stuff :)

Best,

Aqui

Worth noting, that it's a longer than standard jo but shorter than a bo (before someone says "that's not a jo"...) and is being used to demonstrate a naginata cut, the flex/shaking is merely a interesting effect of connected full body movement as opposed to the goal of the movement, it's not "pole shaking" but just happened to end up with a nice flexing in the wood (as opposed to the person! :D) being captured on camera.

It's clear, to me, that the shoulders are relaxed and this is not sourced from local arm/shoulder movement but is something "more interesting".

I tend to lurk rather than post on here, just thought I'd put that out there before we end up going off down dead ends... I'm hoping the thread can develop in a positive direction... :)
mrlizard123
Santi

Postby AlexF on Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:02 am

Bao wrote:.... A little bit frustrated, but really not surprised. Everyone goes to seminars and summer camps, they are all so enthusiastic and everything is so fantastic. But they can never explain or show anything ....

OR, OR it can explained and is being trained by a few on this board but they cant be bothered arguing with the masses who are just looking to find fault whether within a semantic argument, or something to do with lineage. Then off it goes, another round of arguments about my style being better than yours, or its worthless for self defence, or it wouldn't work in the UFC etc etc.

"If the poster was someone who usually cares..." what's that supposed to mean?
He starts off stating something enthusiastically and now look where we are?
Why? because it hasn't been laid out on a plate for you, explained with diagrams and video to back it up. I'm pretty sure that those from this board who have met Dan are the smart ones who approached it differently, behind the scenes, they would inquire politely, introduce themselves and form a relationship/friendship. I bet they are happy with what they got once the enthusiasm has worn away, it not being vague.

I recently wrote something about his last seminar in the UK if your interested
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23234
Thinking about it, its probably useless, no video or how to's :-\

Lo siento Jaime, lo intenté, mejor que me quede callado, no tengo ganas de discutir este tema.
Last edited by AlexF on Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlexF
Santi

Postby lazyboxer on Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:42 am

So there you have it - links to a Harden workshop review and (finally) a video clip of DH in action on one page.

The video clip alone contains a wealth of valuable information for those with eyes to see.
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:46 am

Aqui wrote:Hey Guys,

Best,

Aqui

Very nice! Good to see Dan in action.

Obviously it's the movement of the dan tien that he's showing, and a connected body, but as an aside, that posture he's doing is exactly XingYi Dragon as I was taught it - weight on the front foot, like that. I've seen some people do it weight back, but I was taught weight forward, not that it matters - it depends what application you're doing as to wether the weight is forward or backward.

I love the guy in the background with shoulders all over the place - nice contrast ;D
Last edited by GrahamB on Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:49 am

Weight forward version:

Weight backward version:

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:52 am

Good spot Graham - there's a lot of similarity with the hsing i dragon step there (though not such a deep squat as how I was taught it) and the body coiling/spiralling is pretty evident as well (a quality that dragon is designed to develop as you'll know). I was originally taught it with the weight in the middle, I suspect mainly because that's by far the most painful way to do it when you're holding a deep squat ;D

And yes poor Andy has got a lot of shit about his shoulders regarding that clip!

Matthew
mrtoes
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic