Too Much Sparring Leads to Early Retirement for UFC Fighter

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Too Much Sparring Leads to Early Retirement for UFC Fighter

Postby Taste of Death on Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:28 am

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/3/24/8282165/ufc-jamie-varner-sparring-warning-head-trauma-retirement-training-mma-news
"If I could give any advice to young, upcoming fighters - you're a fighter, you don't need to spar to prove how tough you are. So spar once a week. [...] "Sparring is a tool that is used to work on game plans, and to see where you are condition wise, cardiovascularly. You don't need to spar three days a week to prove you're tough. You're fighting in the UFC, you're obviously tough."
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Re: Too Much Sparring Leads to Early Retirement for UFC Fighter

Postby GrahamB on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:38 am

Yep - this was being discussed in the Joe Rogan podcast episode with Gary Tonon and Eddie Bravo. You can't keep taking hard headshots and not expect to suffer for it later.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:39 am

Yup... Grappling has it's own very real risks but I'll take the risk of coming out of a throw badly over being repeatedly punched hard in the head any day. A few years ago I went home with mild concussion after sparring (with headgear/16oz gloves) and decided I wasn't really up for that level of contact (to the head) any more.

Matthew
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby chud on Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:40 am

The human body is designed to take some abuse, but it is not designed to take sustained abuse over an extended period of time.
chud
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:51 am

A family friend of ours fell over (not sparring) and got a concussion and the effects have lingered for months. It's been a bit disturbing to observe. Gotta protect the head.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Spncr on Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:40 pm

I started in TCMA when I was young, but in my early teen years I got bored of doing so much forms/solo-work that I dropped it for MMA. A decade later someone brought me to a TCMA class, at which point I left MMA and started TMAs again for two reasons. One being that the teacher impressed me more (waaay more) than anyone I had met up until that point, the other being that it would be much better (muuuch better) on my body/mind/etc long term. Now I'm back to doing solo work, and I love it ;). By the time I switched over I had many injuries, never got my bell rung to hard thankfully. I know people who've had 10+ concussions and I've seen the effects that it can have on your life, its makes me very thankful indeed that I haven't had any.

Reading this at this time is interesting too, as I have also being following and posting in the sticky hands video thread. IMO one of the things that I believe is great about Chi Sao, Rou Shou, Tui Shou, etc., is that within these practices you have the opportunity to develop skill sets relevant/valuable for fighting, whilst minimizing the risks of injury. Reading this kind of thing makes me thankful that I made the decision to return to TMA. May you all train relatively injury free!
Spncr
Huajing

Postby Taste of Death on Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:35 pm

There is more to martial arts than fist meets face.

None of the 4-5 concussions I've had came from a punch but as fuga pointed out, protect the head.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Spncr on Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:05 am

Taste of Death wrote:...4-5 concussions...

Time to be careful when you can't even remember how many concussions you've had ;) :P ;D
Spncr
Huajing

Postby Fa Xing on Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:09 am

Actually, a lot of people get concussion even without head trauma. I seen it all the time with personal injury (automobile accidents) where they report feeling lethargic, confused, dizzy, and poor memory issues. If the contact is heavy enough, it will rattle the brain pretty good.
Dr. Troy Schott
Doctor of Chiropractic
Lead Instructor, Ground Dragon Martial Arts
https://grounddragonma.com/
Fa Xing
Anjing

Postby Bill on Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:57 pm

Allowing hard head contact while sparring is a very bad idea. Most boxers wear head gear and 16 ounce gloves while sparring and always go light to the head.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:32 am

Spncr wrote:
Taste of Death wrote:...4-5 concussions...

Time to be careful when you can't even remember how many concussions you've had ;) :P ;D

Exactly. I think it's 5 but can only remember 4 when I try to recall them. I'll update this post when I settle on a correct number.
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:34 am

On NPR, (I'm paraphrasing from memory), but the amino acid molecules called Beta-Amyloids can be measured in the blood and they are a marker for how much concussive damage that a person is suffering. So they're trying to set up something for US soldiers in combat, where they take a baseline measurement of them, and then after combat, or especially after surviving and IED explosion, they would measure the soldiers levels again and find the magic number where they could determine where another concussion couldnt be tolerated. The potential Private sector usage for amateur and professional sports is where these blood tests will be the future goal of these scientist's work.

But a good meditation that gets one's brain into the Theta wave pattern stage can also then cause the Glial Cells in the brain to release their intracellular fluids which results in a greater amount of CSF in the brain AND more room for the fluid to gather up Beta-Amyloids and get them out of the brain, thus reducing concussive damage.
That's one of the main reasons I try to do BGZ's Circle Walking (Moving Meditation) everyday.

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:03 am

I think that if you're going to compete at that level there's really no way around it, injuries are just part of the game obviously you can spar less but the guy who spars more will probably come out on top.
Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Spncr on Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:01 am

... until he retires early that is
Spncr
Huajing

Postby grzegorz on Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:13 am

Spncr wrote:... until he retires early that is

It's definitely not for everybody, but boxing is determining the outcome for most UFC fights these days when it comes to the men.

Head injuries is why I stopped going to the boxing gym. The human body was never meant for that.

Then again at 48 Bernard Hopkins was still holding the belt and knocking fools out.

Last edited by grzegorz on Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic