Permanent log-in

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Permanent log-in

Postby taiwandeutscher on Sat May 09, 2015 12:41 am

What happened to the permanent log-in again?
As I drop-by several times a day, it is annoying to login each and every time.
We had this problem before, no?
Please admins!
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Re: Permanent log-in

Postby kenneth fish on Sat May 09, 2015 6:56 am

This is a first - a board member actually not ashamed to admit to difficulty getting his log in.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Sat May 09, 2015 7:03 am

It appears they have moved from cookie based to some sort of url based authentication that passes the session id in the url. This has introduced many problems! Note that when you click on this link, it will log you out again:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=136&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Michael on Sat May 09, 2015 7:32 am

mrtoes wrote:Constantly having to re-login here. There's something a bit funny with the authentication that happened a couple of weeks ago. It's most a minor annoyance but I just lost an entire PM that I was writing to someone as a consequence of this which I couldn't recover, and I lost a post the other day as well.

/SHORTENED

but if this issue could be resolved that would be amazing as right now I'm always worrying about the forum losing my posts/pms.

Thanks,

Matthew

Sifu Kelley wrote:i have added a new server node and updated to a new server version with many changes. rsf has been tested with no issues. let me know on rsf fb if you notice problems. also, i am implementing distributed memory cache which should speed things up as well as addressing the autologin issue.

fb = FACEBOOK

Current turnaround time for getting approved to join the RSF Facebook group in order to post these issues on the wall is unknown, but last year was running into months.

Reason for posting technical updateds on RSF but requiring people to respond about issues on RSF Facebook wall? unknown
Number of replies on RSF to this recent logout problem on RSF? None.
Michael

Postby Michael on Sat May 09, 2015 7:40 am

Michael

Postby chenyaolong on Sat May 09, 2015 8:02 am

thought it was related to me using VPN.... but seems I was wrong
chenyaolong
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Mon May 11, 2015 7:44 am

mrtoes wrote:It appears they have moved from cookie based to some sort of url based authentication that passes the session id in the url. This has introduced many problems! Note that when you click on this link, it will log you out again:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=136&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Whoa... that's just bizarre. :o
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Mon May 11, 2015 8:01 am

Yup - it's because the active session id isn't present in the url. It results in really weird behaviour. Add "&sid=..." from your current url onto that link and it will work again.

I am quite sure it's an attempt to stop the site getting hammered by spam (I suspect they're having trouble) but it won't work - you can code your way around that in seconds. Actually any attempt to obfuscate client based authentication is doomed to failure since all the spammer needs to do is copy what a normal user and their browser does.

Matthew
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Kevin_Wallbridge on Mon May 11, 2015 8:36 am

Oh, I see. I just deleted my old bookmark and bookmarked the site again once I was logged in and now it works. I'm not sure if that is what you meant but it worked.
拳中龙象本能之学
Kevin_Wallbridge
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Mon May 11, 2015 8:44 am

Yup, but that bookmark won't work after the next time you log in because the session id on the bookmark won't match the id of the new session. Basically bookmarks don't work any more. Wait and see ;)
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby mrtoes on Mon May 11, 2015 11:27 am

There also appears to be a timeout for logged in sessions... so if you're editing a message and come back to it some time later, press send then it's gone. Press back and nothing will be there and you won't be able to recover anything you've written, because of the autologin that kicked in :(
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Tue May 12, 2015 11:57 am

war with terrorist has the price,
but
why we have to pay ?
takin` info about the shit heads undercover among us, for free, isn`t nuf? 8-)
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Michael on Wed May 13, 2015 8:51 am

Tom, do you also have to re-login every hour, and/or deal with the other problems mentioned? The cure has some side-effects.
Michael

Postby Bhassler on Wed May 13, 2015 11:37 am

Hey Tom,

This free discussion site without any advertising or actual work required from the people who benefit from it is really great and all, but my car is really dirty. Is there a way you and the other mods can work out some kind of rotating schedule to wash it for me? That'd be great.

kthnxbye!
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed May 13, 2015 2:48 pm

So what do I need to do to stay logged in again?
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic