Who Voted ?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Who Voted ?

Postby Bill on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:28 am

As I was waiting for my polling place to open a woman was struck by a car out in the street right next to me. There I was waiting in line with about 30 other folks. I turned my head toward the wall I was standing near to lean my umbrella against it when i heard a loud thump. When I turned all I saw was a car stopped in the road. I asked what that sound was and was told a woman just got hit by that car. People were already dialing 911 and a few ran over to help the woman. I took off my jacket and gave it to a gal who was a nurse and she put it around the womans shoulders. THe woman didn't appear to be in much pain, she seemed more agravated then hurt. She was speaking and not in any agony that I could see. The police and Ambulance arrived just minutes later and once they had helped her one of the firemen returned my jacket.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Re: Who Voted ?

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:32 am

I voted this morning. Uneventful. Small township districts though and mostly old people. Crazy election this year. Already reports of voter intimidation coming in.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby JessOBrien on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:33 am

I voted but it was a lot less exciting than that! Right on Bill, you are the real hero this election!
:)

-Jess O
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:34 am

I voted. Dropped off my absentee ballot at the library polling place.

And got my "I Voted" sticker which means a free pint at the brewery this evening and a free scoop of ice cream.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Pat on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:45 am

i voted. Bully to Bill for starting this thread.
Just Let Your Soul Glo!!!
Pat
Anjing

Postby Dmitri on Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:05 pm

Done... First time ever (this is the second election season that I was allowed to vote as a citizen here)

All them nice electronical machines (by the ole' trusty Diebold) with purty user interfaces...

Expected a long line but there wasn't one at all. :-/
Last edited by Dmitri on Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:45 pm

just took this with my new camera's macro mode. damn, my collar looks grainy.

this was the line at ~11 am this morning at my polling station. insanity.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Dmitri on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:01 pm

That must be the chick Mix went out with, who was talking about condoms with teeth...
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Bär on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:33 pm

Voted last week. The Colorado ballot was 5-6 pages long and my polling place was a complete zoo last time. I needed about 15 minutes to fill out the ballot and I knew the issues going in.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby dragontigerpalm on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:06 pm

Just returned from voting. No lines and no fuss but it's kind of somewhere between suburban and exurban where I live. I went with my daughter (23) who, even though this wasn't her first time voting, was so excited to vote in this election she could barely contain herself.
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby cerebus on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:16 pm

Went to the closest voting place this morning and was turned away 'cause my name wasn't on their list. Went to another place & voted there instead. No lines either place...
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:17 pm

I strolled over to my voting place this afternoon, since I only had a few hours' work this morning. There were just some retirees getting their ballots. A volunteer said that it was really crazy that morning as commuters stopped in to vote before work. She thought it would be equally crazy in the evening with the commuters who decided to wait till after work to vote.

And I got a nifty free Uncle Sam type felt hat just for voting. Someone had dropped off a big trashbag full of them to hand out.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:37 pm

mailed my ballot last month...

no pedestrian vs. auto trauma involved.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:46 pm

A couple of the election workers greeted me by name. Very little voter fraud in little precincts. Just eyeballing the situation, I would say turnout was good. I was there around mid-afternoon and there was a steady stream of voters but no standing in line. Some years, you show up to vote and you are the only voter there, or there are two or three. That's the report from East Nowheresville.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby C-Hopkins on Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:01 pm

I voted. My Neighborhood is going Obama crazy.

On the main AVE there werea bunch of supporters holding up Obama signs and all the cars that were passing by were honking.

And the best thing I heard all day was a conversation at my Gym:

"Those lines out there are crazy."

"Yeah, but that's one line you don't mind standing in.(For Obama)"

"Shit, I gotta stand in lines for all kinds of other shit. I'll sand in this line. This line is a pleasure line."

That was the best thing I heard all day. People across the country are staying in those lines,and they're not minding.
C-Hopkins
Huajing

Next

Return to Off the Topic