Advice for moving to the US

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Advice for moving to the US

Postby BonesCom on Mon May 18, 2015 12:53 am

I'm moving to Gainesville, Fl this month and was wondering if some of you US residents could give me some advice regarding mobiles phones and internet providers.

I'm planning on just picking up a cheap pre-paid mobile at first when I land in San Fran, which provider should I go for or are they all much of a muchness?

Once I've got my apartment sorted out I'll need an internet service provider. Again, are there any recommendations for those I should look at or stay away from?

Any other hints and tips would be much appreciated!

Cheers
James
BonesCom
Huajing

Re: Advice for moving to the US

Postby WVMark on Mon May 18, 2015 3:34 am

I think AT&T and Verizon have the widest coverage in the US. But, if you stay within major cities, most of the top pay per month plans work. If it's going to be temporary, just look at the coverage maps for the company and make sure you're within it. I've personally used Sprint and Verizon. I'd run away from Sprint. Verizon has been good for coverage when I'm traveling. Someone I know uses Straight Talk and they don't have as good as coverage as I do when traveling, but for the most part, it's fine. Oh, and most pay per month plans say they have unlimited data ... but once you hit their preset limit, they slow your speed waaaaaay down.

Internet providers? If you're lucky, you'll actually have a choice. Where I'm at, we have one, Comcast. Might want to do an online search for internet providers in Gainesville and see what's there. Some have an area on their site where you can put an address and they'll let you know if they have service there.

Mark
WVMark
Huajing

Postby windwalker on Mon May 18, 2015 6:34 am

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-pho ... /overview/

they have some good plans.
Until you get the net set up many places are offering free wify, star bucks, dennys and mc donalds. ect.

good luck with the move...
windwalker
Wuji

Postby chud on Mon May 18, 2015 6:36 am

WVMark wrote:I think AT&T and Verizon have the widest coverage in the US.

Agreed. AT&T or Verizon; stay away from Sprint.
If you want something cheap, WalMart actually offers both pre-paids or affordable plans, one of my cousins got his phone through them.
chud
Great Old One

Postby BonesCom on Tue May 19, 2015 2:30 pm

Thanks guys that gives me something to start with. Does anyone have experience with T-mobile?
I have checked out the WalMart phones unfortunately I want to grab a phone as soon as I land in San Fran an the nearest WalMart appears to be in Oakland which is a little far out for me to get there and back in order to get some other stuff I need to do done. Thanks again.
BonesCom
Huajing

Postby Steve James on Tue May 19, 2015 3:21 pm

I'd say start with a good phone. Then decide how much you want to spend per month, or how much data that you need/use. T-Mobile is fine in NYC. I've used Verizon, too --but I think Verizon, ATT, etc, usually want you to enter a plan. The upside is that they "sell" you a phone. However, if you want to save, look for a local cell phone carrier that piggybacks off a national network. For ex., "metropcs" (iinm) in NY uses the T-Mobile network. For $30, you get unlimited talk, text and data. The downside is that the data gets 3G speed, not 4G. If you need faster speeds, then you can get a T-Mobile account for $40, but data is limited to 500mb --after which it slows down to 3G or less. Altogether, that will cost about $50 per month.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Wed May 20, 2015 10:21 am

Bones,

A little late to the conversation.

If you buy a pre-paid phone just make sure it has coverage in the area you are moving to. Sometimes the coverage between pre-paid and subscription phones is different.

For example, where I live at in rural Maryland only T-Mobile pre-paid phones work here.

Welcome to the USA,

Peacedog
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby BonesCom on Sun May 31, 2015 7:56 am

Thanks guys, I picked up a T-mobile prepaid in San Fran, I just have to change the area code to Fl, seems to do the job though it is my first smart phone and I must be getting old...

Should have an apartment to move into on the 8th of June so I guess I'll sort out internet once I'm in. Damn it's hot here...
BonesCom
Huajing

Return to Off the Topic